Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Good Deal on GS350 tires? (Michelin/Bridgestone)

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-09, 12:20 PM
SilverSprt
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good Deal on GS350 tires? (Michelin/Bridgestone)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey Guys,

Wanted to get your thoughts on this deal since you all drive GSes

I'm torn between the Michelin Pilot A/S Plus tires and the Bridgestone RE960A/S tires..Both have had great reviews. The Pilot A/S Plus tires have had lesser reviews due to the fact that the tire is "relatively new". I need to make a purchase soon though as my tires are bald. I've gotten almost 29k on my stock Yokos.

I've been hesistant to buy and am pissed off at myself that I missed out on the Friends and Fam deal for the Bridgestones (30% off!!!) Costco is having a deal now - $70 off on 4 Michelin tires...this deal isn't that good since it's not even 10% off. Total comes out to about $1020 after all is said and done...

Thumbs up or Thumbs down? or find another dealer?

Any suggestions?

Thanks!!
Old 03-16-09, 01:34 PM
pjonkheer
Pit Crew

Are these 18s?
Old 03-16-09, 05:37 PM
SilverSprt
Pole Position

Yup..I got the upgraded 18s with the car..big rim = more $ on tires
Old 03-16-09, 05:41 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have had this tire in the past and it was a great tire (Michelin Pilot A/S). I can only imagine the Plus vs. of this tires is that much better

I have never been a fan personally of the Bridgestone tires. They are loud IMO and they just dont offer much.
Old 03-17-09, 01:15 PM
350ISRYDER
Pole Position

Default Bridgestones..

Originally Posted by SilverSprt
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey Guys,

Wanted to get your thoughts on this deal since you all drive GSes

I'm torn between the Michelin Pilot A/S Plus tires and the Bridgestone RE960A/S tires..Both have had great reviews. The Pilot A/S Plus tires have had lesser reviews due to the fact that the tire is "relatively new". I need to make a purchase soon though as my tires are bald. I've gotten almost 29k on my stock Yokos.

I've been hesistant to buy and am pissed off at myself that I missed out on the Friends and Fam deal for the Bridgestones (30% off!!!) Costco is having a deal now - $70 off on 4 Michelin tires...this deal isn't that good since it's not even 10% off. Total comes out to about $1020 after all is said and done...

Thumbs up or Thumbs down? or find another dealer?

Any suggestions?

Thanks!!

If you go to firestone...they price match with Tirerack. I got a front set of RE760's for $130 each...I have 18x8 rims! Awesome tire, but havent had them long so I can't review noise yet...plus I blast my music so I can't really hear it! I believe Sam's Club price matches as well!
Old 03-17-09, 08:28 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the Michilen Pilot Sport A/S as my summer tire on 18 wheels. So far from last June to November, they were great on dry and wet roads. I can't speak to snow as they won't see the white stuff.

steviej
Old 03-18-09, 06:15 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by passnu2
I have had this tire in the past and it was a great tire (Michelin Pilot A/S). I can only imagine the Plus vs. of this tires is that much better

I have never been a fan personally of the Bridgestone tires. They are loud IMO and they just dont offer much.
All Bridgestones or just one in particular? They make at least 30 different styles of tires... To group them all in one lump is a little one sided. That being said, there are Bridgestones that aren't as quiet as some Michelins, however, it works the opposite way as well. The Pilot Sport PS2 is a great example. It compares against the Bridgestone RE050, and is equivalent in noise. Now, compare the Pilot Sport A/S to the RE050 and the A/S is the quieter tire. It is not meant to have as high of performance characteristics as the PS2 and RE050. The original Pilot Sport it replaced was just ridiculously loud...

All tire manufacturers have their pros and cons, and typically, with their product lineups, you will find a huge variety...
Old 03-18-09, 06:19 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

I might add I've never heard of anyone not liking the RE960's and I have had sets on both my brothers 08 Eclipse GT and my wifes Nissan Maxima... lovely tire... works great in all conditions...
Old 03-18-09, 10:52 AM
werewolf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Where in CA? Gonna see any rain / snow?

My impression is that Michelin is probably the best tire brand across the board; however, they sell for a premium so bang for buck is pretty low

Bridgestones seem to be hit and miss. I've run potenza 70s (summer tire) and love them but they wear quick.
Old 03-18-09, 03:35 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by werewolf
Where in CA? Gonna see any rain / snow?

My impression is that Michelin is probably the best tire brand across the board; however, they sell for a premium so bang for buck is pretty low

Bridgestones seem to be hit and miss. I've run potenza 70s (summer tire) and love them but they wear quick.
most bridgestones are great quality, but as I mentioned, every manufacturer has their highs and lows...

the RE070 in specific is a GREAT summer performance tire - its half a step above an R compound tire... I'd expect even normal drivers to wear it out in 10-15k tops...
Old 03-18-09, 06:06 PM
farkas
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I just put the RE960's on my GS430 and love them! Got them from tirerack for $860 shipped! I have always loved the Michelins but the write ups on these RE960's were very high and after I got them on....I agree! Smooth and feel very responsive.
Old 03-23-09, 10:21 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

I think if you have money, just go with michellins. If not, try yokohama s-drive or toyo proxes. GL!
Old 03-26-09, 12:20 AM
SilverSprt
Pole Position

OK, i pulled the trigger and bought the Michelin's from Costco since there was a deal of $70 off..will get them installed this weekend and provide an update..
Old 03-26-09, 05:36 AM
GS2006
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SilverSprt
OK, i pulled the trigger and bought the Michelin's from Costco since there was a deal of $70 off..will get them installed this weekend and provide an update..
You got the Pilot A/S Plus? Looks like I will be putting this on my car today.
Old 03-26-09, 05:51 AM
GS2006
Lead Lap

Curious, did you see my post on the car or tires? How do your yokos look? Are they cupped on the inside? Do they sound like truck tires?

Quick Reply: Good Deal on GS350 tires? (Michelin/Bridgestone)