Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Raderwerks 14Twelve Lugs

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-09, 05:36 PM
fatmike
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raderwerks 14Twelve Lugs

Has anyone ever heard of these? I was thinking about using them sometime in the future so I could pick up some wheels on the classifieds here sometime. Just wondering if they are safe to use and actually work etc. Seems pretty cool.

http://www.raderwerks.com/parts_details.cfm?type=9

???

-Mike
Old 02-28-09, 06:41 PM
AME_VIP
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for posting this thread. I am putting some 5x112 wheels on my 5x114.3 02 Q45. The lugs should arrive in a week or so but I won't be able to test them out for a while.

I actually purchased some similiar variation/wobble lugs from Lakeshore Wheel and Tire.
https://www.lakeshorewheelandtire.co...tart=320&id=22

Long story short I ordered and after 4 emails/2 ph messages I did not receive a response until 4 business days later. I should have gone with Radarwerks as their customer service was excellent.

I gurantee people are going to post here that they are unsafe who have zero experience with them. I've read a few good threads on VW forums regarding them. Plenty of VW owners are using them without any problems.

Last edited by AME_VIP; 02-28-09 at 06:46 PM.
Old 02-28-09, 07:58 PM
BigVIPness
The Green Grundel

Anybody who says they are "unsafe" or "don't work" has no idea what they are talking about nor how lug nuts work. HOWEVER, you need to have some play in the WHEELS that you have (I think its 1.5mm) which not all wheels have. So before ordering them you'll need to measure the wheels they are going on to find out of they will work out not.
Old 02-28-09, 08:54 PM
fatmike
Lead Lap

Nice, I wanna hear how those lugs work out for you. When it says 1.5 mm in the wheels what exactly does that mean? In the diameter of the hole?

Good stuff guys.
Old 03-01-09, 08:17 AM
AME_VIP
Lexus Champion

Yes. The biggest concern is that the studs coming through are no longer centered and are closer to the side of the lug hole bore on the wheel due to the larger diameter 5x114.3 bolt pattern. It's hard to explain in words but the lug nut will be close to the side of the lug bore so it may be difficult to get a deep 19mm socket on the lug nut. On some wheels such as Advan Sienna Gen II these lugs will not work because the lug bore is VERY small and there would not be room to get a socket on the these lugs.

The other concern with puting 5x112 wheels on is center bore and vibrations. If the center bore on the wheel is smaller than the factory bore on your car you will have to have the wheel bore machined larger. In my case Infiniti is ~66.2 and MB is 66.6 so the wheel bore is larger. Depending on your situation you may want to use hubcentric rings.
Old 03-01-09, 04:13 PM
BigVIPness
The Green Grundel

^ Exactly

You definitely, definitely want to run hubcentric spacers or there will be a considerable virbation around 60+ mph.
Old 03-02-09, 04:08 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Those things scare the crap out of me.

But what do I know, I make custom wheels for a living.
Old 03-15-09, 07:26 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalSC4
Those things scare the crap out of me.

But what do I know, I make custom wheels for a living.
Um, well, lets put it this way... anyone that's too cheap to just buy the right wheel to start, well, maybe they get whats comin' to them...

This is just one of those things that adds a potential failure point.

Anyone here a Scuba diver? a technical scuba diver slims down his gear so much as to eliminate any potential failure... a failure at depth, in a cave or enclosed area could be a deadly failure... failures are very rare with scuba gear, but if a failure were to happen, it could lead to death...

The same thing applies here... This is just one more failure point that is definitely avoidable, and in certain circumstances, a failure here could lead to death (though probably not just the driver, but any passengers in that and other vehicles as well)...

Just something to think about...
Old 03-15-09, 08:56 PM
BigVIPness
The Green Grundel

Guys... it's not the sides of the bolts that hold the wheels on the car, its the SEAT that holds the wheel on the car. The pressure created by screwing in the bolt seats the SEAT into the wheel. The wobble seat lugs allow for the seat to move so that it can fully seat into the wheel. The pressure holding the wheel against the hub does not change nor does its effectiveness by using a wobble bolt. Since once the bolts are seated and torqued to the correct specs they no longer wobble (obviously) and function the same as non-wobble seat bolts. This isn't scuba gear, its a bolt.

Saying "anyone too cheap to..." is a sorry *** statement to make. Did you know that some wheels aren't offered in 5x114.3 or 5x112? This isn't ebay wheel adapters we are talking about, its a bolt that is 2 pieces instead of 1 allowing it to move a few millimeters before it is seated and secured the exact same way a 1 piece bolt would. It says are you a "wheel expert" in your sig but your post speaks otherwise.
Old 03-15-09, 10:03 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by BigVIPness
Guys... it's not the sides of the bolts that hold the wheels on the car, its the SEAT that holds the wheel on the car. The pressure created by screwing in the bolt seats the SEAT into the wheel. The wobble seat lugs allow for the seat to move so that it can fully seat into the wheel. The pressure holding the wheel against the hub does not change nor does its effectiveness by using a wobble bolt. Since once the bolts are seated and torqued to the correct specs they no longer wobble (obviously) and function the same as non-wobble seat bolts. This isn't scuba gear, its a bolt.

Saying "anyone too cheap to..." is a sorry *** statement to make. Did you know that some wheels aren't offered in 5x114.3 or 5x112? This isn't ebay wheel adapters we are talking about, its a bolt that is 2 pieces instead of 1 allowing it to move a few millimeters before it is seated and secured the exact same way a 1 piece bolt would. It says are you a "wheel expert" in your sig but your post speaks otherwise.
It does not hold it the same way a one piece bolt would. In fact, I would bet that if you put increasing stress on one of their bolts with their "washer" that it would break before the equivalent proper bolt would. Their design allows a side load to be placed on the fastener. Not much, granted, but some is more than it was originally designed for.

"anyone too cheap to" ok, so, you are either too cheap to buy the right wheel, or you care more about how your car looks than you do how safe it is... it's one of the two - most of these posts I read usually start out "I found these used wheels real cheap and..." Granted not all, but most... And as far as not all wheels made in those bolt patterns? Sure, I'll give you that, but to tell me that one wheel is soooo much better than what is available that you would risk a potential failure point is retarded...

Wheel bolts/studs break and wheels come off as it is without adding an additional failure point. Usually these are due to installer error, however, problems can present themself just with usage - the on/off repetition puts wear and tear on the studs or bolt holes that these fasteners use. By changing the bolt style like this will cause additional stress on all of these connection points. Probably won't fail, but why chance it? My life is worth the couple extra bucks to buy the right wheels, and it is DEFINITELY worth not having the exact wheel I want just so I can look cool...
Old 03-15-09, 11:01 PM
AME_VIP
Lexus Champion

You are definitely entitled to your opinion. Everyone has their own thresh hold. Some people don't feel comfortable stretching tires or running spacers because they feel it's unsafe or increases risk.

Personally I am not concerned as there are multiple companies selling variation lugs and studs in many different countries. Many people are using them in the stud and lug version without issues. There is the generic version, plus Radarwerks 14Twelve and 20 Squared which are Audi/VW tuners. The bolts/lugs are very popular with Audi/VW owners because they have a limited wheel selection.
http://www.20squared.com/product_p/1.1.206.htm

I read a good thread on a VW forum which had plenty of reviews of people who used the studs/lugs and had no issues. Of course I can't find that thread now!
Old 03-24-09, 05:51 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

So what's your verdict on these?
Old 03-27-09, 09:14 PM
AME_VIP
Lexus Champion

Still no verdict but very soon. I am getting my tires mounted tommorrow. I have test fit the wheels with the variation lugs and they fit fine.

Road test coming soon
Old 03-28-09, 03:03 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Looking forward to your results after a test drive. Still vibration? Or 100% eliminated?
Old 03-31-09, 05:05 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

i got mines in yesterday's mail... from Lakeshore.

Quick Reply: Raderwerks 14Twelve Lugs