Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Supra tt brakes and Borbet E wheels

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-02, 06:25 AM
JKAG
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Supra tt brakes and Borbet E wheels

Anybody know if 17 x 8 Borbet type E wheels (35mm offset) will fit over Supra tt brakes?

Thanks

Jon

Last edited by JKAG; 03-03-02 at 06:28 AM.
Old 03-03-02, 09:39 AM
Slick Lex Coupe
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Tirerack carries Borbets so they would know. I don't have their number, but you may be able to find it here: tirerack.com
Old 03-03-02, 09:52 AM
Wheel Kinetics
Pole Position

Default Re: Supra tt brakes and Borbet E wheels

Originally posted by JKAG
Anybody know if 17 x 8 Borbet type E wheels (35mm offset) will fit over Supra tt brakes?

Thanks

Jon
Probably not.. we'd need more information however. I'm not sure what it would be on a Lexus (different hub), but caliper protrusion on a TT Supra is 1.75".
Old 03-03-02, 10:12 AM
JKAG
Driver

Default Thanks

Slick lex, I bought them 2 years ago from Tirerack, but they were no help. If their database doen't specify they fit, they don't have a clue.

Wheelkinetics, you da man. That gave me the answer, unfortunately clearance is closer to 1.5" and if 1.75" is required it will never make it. Why would the hubs be different, the rotors are the same?

Thanks for your help.

Jon
Old 03-03-02, 10:23 AM
Wheel Kinetics
Pole Position

Default Re: Thanks

Originally posted by JKAG
Slick lex, I bought them 2 years ago from Tirerack, but they were no help. If their database doen't specify they fit, they don't have a clue.

Wheelkinetics, you da man. That gave me the answer, unfortunately clearance is closer to 1.5" and if 1.75" is required it will never make it. Why would the hubs be different, the rotors are the same?

Thanks for your help.

Jon
Jon,

The rotors are the same, but the hub mounting face *may* (I don't know if it does) not extend as far as the Supra making the caliper protrusion greater-- or it could extend farther making it less. The key in making wheels fit aftermarket brakes is knowing the distance between the hub mounting surface and how far beyond that surface the caliper sits. (known as caliper protrusion or caliper overhang)

In any case, 1.5" would be playing with fire. The Blitz Z2s on my Supra have 2.5" of clearence. If you like them, I have a used set for you. My signature picture shows how far out the center sections extend to clear the brakes.
Old 03-03-02, 11:18 AM
JKAG
Driver

Default Blitz Z2's

Wheelkinetics

Thank, but the look is a bit much for me.

I plan on trying to buy a set of 4 Supra tt front (the 17 x 8) wheels.

I also want to save my money for S-03's

Jon
Old 03-04-02, 08:42 AM
Slick Lex Coupe
Driver

I plan on trying to buy a set of 4 Supra tt front (the 17 x 8) wheels.
Why 4 fronts? You should get the wider back ones so it looks all mean and stuff.
Old 03-05-02, 03:15 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

probably to save money on tires since you can get the same size tires and you can rotate...for someone who drives A LOT, this makes sense...otherwise, you'll go through tires faster...if you only drive 10K miles a year and you don't do burn outs at every green light, I would go staggered...or if you can afford it

Directional tires also limit "rotatability" since you can only "rotate" by going front to back and vice versa...uni-directional allows you to "properly" rotate...
Old 03-05-02, 04:45 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I've got a Supra TT disc brake/caliper set-up sitting next to my desk (intend to put them on my SC400, if I can ever find a clean silver one...).

My electronic caliper shows the brake caliper overhangs the wheel mounting surface by 1.33", or 34mm. It's a fixed-caliper design, so the overhang won't increase by putting new brake pads on.

Typically, .100" (2.54mm) is the least amount of clearance allowable between the caliper and the back of the wheel spokes. Therefore, if you have 36.5mm of "pad height" on the wheel, you should be okay... maybe play it safe with 40mm (1.57").

Of course, the caliper outer radius = 6.9", so be careful with small diameter wheels!