Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

HREs Really that good?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-09, 01:36 AM
JasonC
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HREs Really that good?

Got the mod itch now. I've been looking and want to try out either HRE or DPE. Is it really worth what HRE charges over say Volk? What's your take on this guys? Yay or nay for the HRE brand? Please post personal experience good or bad. Thx
Old 01-12-09, 02:11 AM
Mesca
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

HRE is one of the best wheel brands out there. I'm not sure if it's worth the extra $$$ but if you can afford it, by all means go for it! Can't go wrong with HRE's
Old 01-12-09, 01:30 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

i had hre before. they are good, but at the same time i will say you pay a lot for the brand name. i have had volk, ssr, and traffic star wheels. they are all just as good imho for much less. of all my ownership, i think all the wheels have pros and cons, including hre
Old 01-13-09, 05:10 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Well, I've said it before and I'll say it again, their wheels are great, but it seems like I see more of them bent than a lot of other wheels out there... Just yesterday had a friend come in with similar size HRE's on his Mercedes as on my Lexus, the wheels were fairly new, but two of the had bends in them. He honestly could not remember what he could have hit... my wheels are 3x as old with no bends and are a cheaper cast wheel...

again, I think they are great wheels, this is just a trend I've seen...
Old 01-13-09, 10:51 AM
wikidbwoy
Pole Position

hre is nice but there are other companies that have just as nice wheels and quality. Vellano or NC Forged are both i have had and like.
Old 01-13-09, 01:56 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

agetro is nice too
Old 01-19-09, 06:29 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
Well, I've said it before and I'll say it again, their wheels are great, but it seems like I see more of them bent than a lot of other wheels out there...
That's partly because HRE has sold a boatload of wheels over the 30 years!
Old 01-19-09, 08:14 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by SoCalSC4
That's partly because HRE has sold a boatload of wheels over the 30 years!
No, actually, in comparison, they sell only a very small fraction of the wheels out there.

Your big players are Wheel Pros (who owns American Racing, KMC, etc), then you have Ultra, which makes MB and Panther and Akuza and a dozen other wheels, as well as OEM's for other private branded wheel companies... Without tracking down the numbers, and doing the math, I'd say that less than half of one percent of the aftermarket wheels out there are made by HRE...
Old 01-19-09, 10:00 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Obviously I know this... I've been in the wheel business for 12 years, 7 of which I worked for HRE. My point was that in the three-piece world, HRE is one of the big boys.

On cheap cast wheels (like the stuff you mentioned), the expectations are lower and if they get bent or damaged they get thrown away.

Wheels get bent all the time... BBS, Work, etc.
Old 01-20-09, 03:43 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by SoCalSC4
Obviously I know this... I've been in the wheel business for 12 years, 7 of which I worked for HRE. My point was that in the three-piece world, HRE is one of the big boys.

On cheap cast wheels (like the stuff you mentioned), the expectations are lower and if they get bent or damaged they get thrown away.

Wheels get bent all the time... BBS, Work, etc.
Right, but, being on the retail side of the industry, and having been in this for 9 years, I see trends - certain wheels that I see more bends than others... It's just that I see the HRE's having less resistance to being bent than many other wheels... I see em all - all brands on all types of vehicles... The two that stand out in my head when someone asks which wheels bend the easiest are HRE and the OEM wheels on many Mitsubishi and some Dodge cars that are two piece wheels... Statistically, there are very few of those wheels (either the HRE or the OE Mitsu wheels), but they also seem to have a higher percentage of bent wheels...

Granted most cast cheapie wheels are probably overbuilt in this area, and many don't have the nice wide, thin lips that HRE does, but that doesn't change the end result...
Old 01-21-09, 09:40 PM
b00b00s559
Driver School Candidate

i hear that HRE's bend extremely easy. i think for a Daily it wouldnt be a good choice. thats what a hear from many sources but i dont have a set so i couldnt say. I think DPE's look better in my opinion and i never heard too much on them. NIce wheels
Old 01-21-09, 10:44 PM
MsLeng
Driver

Hmmm....I'm about to take off some works on my car and put on the HREs but I drive my car daily too...So maybe I shouldnt?
Old 01-22-09, 04:13 AM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do you hit a lot of potholes? I hit potholes from time to time with my iForged wheels and havent had them bend so I can imagine HRE will stand up equally. Everyone has HEARD that HRE bends easily, so to take other peoples words for it you put HRE on your car and you will bend all four wheels leaving the driveway of the tire shop :rollseyes: From my perspective if you like the wheels then go for it. They are quality wheels and look good. As with any wheel I would just be careful when driving and especially around potholes and such
Old 01-23-09, 06:35 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by GS300Rich
do you hit a lot of potholes? I hit potholes from time to time with my iForged wheels and havent had them bend so I can imagine HRE will stand up equally. Everyone has HEARD that HRE bends easily, so to take other peoples words for it you put HRE on your car and you will bend all four wheels leaving the driveway of the tire shop :rollseyes: From my perspective if you like the wheels then go for it. They are quality wheels and look good. As with any wheel I would just be careful when driving and especially around potholes and such
Oh, I agree... if you like them, then go for it...

And I'm not saying they are a bad wheel by any means, but I have not heard, rather I have seen many bent HRE's... personal friends, customers, etc...
Old 01-23-09, 05:42 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just havent heard of many people with bent HREs. I know there are quite a few members here who have HREs and only remember a few of them with problems. So it is just surprising to me to hear that you have seen many HREs bent.

Quick Reply: HREs Really that good?