Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Pissed about 4mnth Old Falken FK 452

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-09, 06:40 PM
truenoboy
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pissed about 4mnth Old Falken FK 452

I pretty much destroyed 1 of my Falken FK 452 tires. Yesterday I noticed my tire was low and had a slow leak. I figured I would drive it to the nearst gas station 2 blocks away, put air in the tire, and then plug the tire when I got home later . After putting air in the tire, I felt the car driving horrible. I plugged it, and the car still wables and rides horribly. I notices later that the inner side wall was sagging and overlapping the rim by almost an inch, whereas the tire on the other side was flush with the rim. When the car is moving, I can see that tire wobling, which is what's causing the shakey ride .

The sad part is that I just bought these tires 4mnths ago. I really hate to have to buy 2 more tires...that's $240 each. Is there any way to fix a tire with sagging side walls?
Old 01-07-09, 06:54 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,119 Likes on 1,293 Posts

It sounds to me from your description like you drove on a flat tire for some distance. If that's the case the tire is likely destroyed and you'll need a new one.

I'd certainly recommend you try to fix the issues you've previously posted about with your suspension in other posts (aligment, camber, wet weather issues, first before spending the $$ to replace the tire or you'll likely end up with a similar situation again a few months ago. Maybe put the stock wheels back on and get it setup as a baseline for alignment.
Old 01-07-09, 09:12 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

thats why you can't just plug a tire... that tire, if you were to pull it off the wheel right now would have shredded rubber inside it - without inspecting that tire from the inside before repairing it, you can't tell that the tire is on the verge of blowing out... people have died from neglect like that... that tire needs replaced and not driven on...

although I don't know the history of the rest of the car, I'd recommend following Dave's advice - by continuing the way you are, you are just going to continue costing yourself lots more money...
Old 01-07-09, 09:38 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

i agree, seems like you drove on damaged tire and it's done now. you probably need replacement, no other way out. and definitely fix other issues so you don't wear out your tires for no reason
Old 01-08-09, 07:37 AM
truenoboy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
It sounds to me from your description like you drove on a flat tire for some distance. If that's the case the tire is likely destroyed and you'll need a new one.

I'd certainly recommend you try to fix the issues you've previously posted about with your suspension in other posts (aligment, camber, wet weather issues, first before spending the $$ to replace the tire or you'll likely end up with a similar situation again a few months ago. Maybe put the stock wheels back on and get it setup as a baseline for alignment.
All the other issues were resolved from my last allignment. The car no longer cambers and grips in the rain good now. Only issue that wasnt resolved is the fact that the car still pulls to the right.

I would like to find 2 good used tires, but doubt I'll be able to find them in that size.
Old 01-10-09, 04:45 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by truenoboy
All the other issues were resolved from my last allignment. The car no longer cambers and grips in the rain good now. Only issue that wasnt resolved is the fact that the car still pulls to the right.

I would like to find 2 good used tires, but doubt I'll be able to find them in that size.
you should be able to just buy 1 new tire
Old 01-11-09, 09:23 AM
truenoboy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Byprodrive
you should be able to just buy 1 new tire
I heard it's not good to just buy 1 new tire though. Correct me if I'm wrong here. If I can get away with buying just 1 tire, even better for me.
Old 01-11-09, 10:31 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

personally i always get 2 tires (both sides) at the same time. specially if one side is a bit worn, even at 50%, that can affect driving and i wouldn't want to risk

the way i do, if one side is shot, i get and change 2 tires, and i store the good one in my storage. maybe i can use it next time
Old 01-11-09, 09:01 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FYI - search online before purchasing new tires, its a lot cheaper than $240
Old 01-12-09, 10:14 AM
truenoboy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by iSuxeL
FYI - search online before purchasing new tires, its a lot cheaper than $240
Msybe I,ll look again, but discount tires was the cheapest I saw them online. I found a local shop by me that has them for 225. Was thinking about just getting the tires from there.
Old 01-12-09, 01:42 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

I don't know about Falken but why is this an issue? A red pickup decided to make my Thanksgiving weekend by dumping a chunk of concrete from the bed in front of me and clobbering one of my two month old Bridgestone Serenety's. I was all prepared to buy a new tire as I didn't buy the road hazard but Bridgestone has a one year warranty that pro rates. There was no wear to speak of so Bridgestone sent a new tire and all I paid was installation. Get your original paperwork out and go back to the dealer where you bought them before you buy any new tires.
Old 01-13-09, 03:47 PM
truenoboy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RON430
I don't know about Falken but why is this an issue? A red pickup decided to make my Thanksgiving weekend by dumping a chunk of concrete from the bed in front of me and clobbering one of my two month old Bridgestone Serenety's. I was all prepared to buy a new tire as I didn't buy the road hazard but Bridgestone has a one year warranty that pro rates. There was no wear to speak of so Bridgestone sent a new tire and all I paid was installation. Get your original paperwork out and go back to the dealer where you bought them before you buy any new tires.

I took your advise and called the online dealer that sold me the tires. They actually cut me slack and let me buy the road hazard for $143 today, even though I already told them my tire was damaged and I bought the tires 4mnths ago. They have a new tire already in route to me . They said if I have any other issues with any of my other tires in the future, just call them and they'll replace the tire without me having to send back my tire. Best thing about it, they said this warranty is everlasting.
Old 01-13-09, 05:52 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by truenoboy
I took your advise and called the online dealer that sold me the tires. They actually cut me slack and let me buy the road hazard for $143 today, even though I already told them my tire was damaged and I bought the tires 4mnths ago. They have a new tire already in route to me . They said if I have any other issues with any of my other tires in the future, just call them and they'll replace the tire without me having to send back my tire. Best thing about it, they said this warranty is everlasting.
That's great, good for you! I have to say that I was pretty surprised when I went in with the Bridgestone. I full well expected to buy a new tire but Bridgestone had a one year all hazard warranty and as there was no wear to prorate, the only cost was the mounting charge. I have bought tires from this American Discount tire for probably over twenty years for both my wife and my car but I truly doubt that had anything to do with it.

I know we can all be demanding as consumers but it is really nice to be pleasantly surprised sometimes.