Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

$610 for brake pad job, did my Lexus dealer charge too much?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-09, 07:35 PM
ToyotaLexus
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 19psi
slapping pads is fine for your personal car for a quick turn and burn brake job, but at the dealer, we have to make sure the customer doesn't come back with squeeks, squeals, etc. slapping pads will result in that sometimes because the surface of the rotor and pad aren't bedded together like you would have if you had a fresh rotor surface to go with the new pads.

if the customer comes back, we have to take it all apart again, except for free this time and fix the squeek, which usually means the rotors have to be machined anyway,s o it's best to just do it right the first time so the customer isn't put out and i don't have to work for free...

perhaps I have asked more clearly....

I wasn't askking if my Lexus dealer charged more than independent mechanics. It's obivious that any Lexus dealer will charge more.

I was wondering if my Lexus dealer charged more than the other Lexus dealers in my town. (in this case 4 other Lexus dealers within a 25-mile radius)

The answer is that my Lexus dealer charged MUCH LESS than the other Lexus dealers. My Lexus dealer only charged me $610. I called the other 4 Lexus dealers and got quotes ranging from $890 to $1100 for the same brake job.... Just for comparison, I also called a Toyota dealer and was quoted $790 for this brake job.
Old 01-22-09, 05:13 AM
tsavo
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ToyotaLexus
perhaps I have asked more clearly....

I wasn't askking if my Lexus dealer charged more than independent mechanics. It's obivious that any Lexus dealer will charge more.

I was wondering if my Lexus dealer charged more than the other Lexus dealers in my town. (in this case 4 other Lexus dealers within a 25-mile radius)

The answer is that my Lexus dealer charged MUCH LESS than the other Lexus dealers. My Lexus dealer only charged me $610. I called the other 4 Lexus dealers and got quotes ranging from $890 to $1100 for the same brake job.... Just for comparison, I also called a Toyota dealer and was quoted $790 for this brake job.
Others are willing to rip people off even more, that doesn't change the fact that the job you had done was over-priced. I'd say $450-500 is much more reasonable for the work you had done.
The following users liked this post:
mariog7 (03-29-21)
Old 01-22-09, 02:28 PM
t70 supra
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats bloody rape i'd shoot my sef if that was me
Old 01-25-09, 01:15 PM
lxus4xms
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default $1,200.00

When I bought my LS430 it needed brakes all round the dealers showed me the invoice $1,200.00 proud to be Canadian
Old 01-25-09, 03:05 PM
Caoboy
Lexus Champion

Well...considering you can get pads and rotors for about 300, and do it yourself, yeah, I'd consider you being ripped off.
Old 03-21-17, 11:08 AM
bluegs4
3rd Gear

Default Turning brake rotors is completely unnecessary on Lexus cars

I've been changing my own pads for the last 25 years because I got fed up arguing with dealers/shops about the need to turn rotors. We have put hundreds of thousands of miles on multiple cars and all I've done is change the pads (takes about 30 minutes) and the brakes have been great. This worked well for our Toyota and Lexus cars - I have had problems with other brands....probably because the rotors had warped.

Lexus pads for our current cars (GS400 99 230,000 miles and RX300 99 100,000 miles) cost about $55 per axle online. Both cars have factory original rotors, which are in great condition.

When rotors are turned, a lot of metal is removed each time that requires the rotors to be replaced after several brake jobs. The lathe used to turn rotors typically does a really crude job compare to the factory mirror finish new rotors have. If there's a rotor problem after changing pads, it's easy to get the bad rotor turned then - it happened to me only once in over 500,000 miles, just one wheel after I ran over an animal at night on the freeway and the rotor no longer ran true. I had that rotor turned, and the brakes were fine.

Saves a lot of time and aggravation to change the pads myself, and the $$ savings really add up....
Met1life (02-03-23)
Old 08-09-20, 08:26 AM
exonw
Pit Crew

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

RX350 MY2017, just had my front & rear brake pads replaced (rotors machined) @ 83K kms costing CA$995 (US$735) parts/labor excluding tax.

The parts @ 10% discount are;
  • Front pad kit: CA$134.50
  • Front shim kit: CA$58.63
  • Rear pad kit: CA$134.50
  • Front shim kit: CA$50.91
Old 08-11-20, 02:17 PM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 293 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by exonw
RX350 MY2017, just had my front & rear brake pads replaced (rotors machined) @ 83K kms costing CA$995 (US$735) parts/labor excluding tax.
You actually paid that much?
Old 08-11-20, 02:26 PM
exonw
Pit Crew

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by sdls
You actually paid that much?
Yup ... I don't have the ability and guts to DIY specially that it pertains to vehicle safety.
ronkelley (12-27-21)
Old 08-11-20, 09:40 PM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 293 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by exonw
Yup ... I don't have the ability and guts to DIY specially that it pertains to vehicle safety.
It’s all right, man. You paid a little extra but at least you have the peace of mind that it was done well. Next time you can maybe find a good shop to do it for a slightly better price.
The following 2 users liked this post by sdls:
exonw (08-12-20), mariog7 (03-29-21)
Old 11-12-20, 09:11 AM
kentuckyed
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

I've heard from many knowledgeable technicians that turning rotors merely makes them thinner and does not help anything else, actually hurts with heat dissipation. Allowing the new pads to bed in on the rougher surface rotor is supposedly better. Not sure which is better but my experience is that I've never had rotors turned and new pads always worked fine.
Old 01-01-21, 05:27 PM
Protholl
Advanced

Received 165 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by kentuckyed
I've heard from many knowledgeable technicians that turning rotors merely makes them thinner and does not help anything else, actually hurts with heat dissipation. Allowing the new pads to bed in on the rougher surface rotor is supposedly better. Not sure which is better but my experience is that I've never had rotors turned and new pads always worked fine.
I've not heard that but the only reason I know for turning a rotor is if it is slightly out-of-spec from warping or mild gouging from brake pad wear that was noticed too late (but normally that ends up with new rotors). Your brakes are most effective when the pad-to-rotor contact surface is maximized unless you are talking about higher-end slotted/drilled rotors which are better at dissipating heat.
Old 01-17-21, 07:31 AM
ESully
Pit Crew

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Turning rotors does make them slightly thinner, but it is ok as long as they stay within the minimum specified thickness. As far as installing new pads on worn rotors, while it may work it is not the best idea.
The new pads will not have maximum surface contact, and will wear quicker due to the rough surface of the old rotor. I have seen a few customers at my friends service station that had others install new pads with worn rotors with complaints ranging from pulsing to annoying squealing noises. In these cases he always ends up needing to install new rotors and pads.
Old 01-23-21, 06:17 PM
Felix
Pole Position

Received 460 Likes on 401 Posts

I'd just throw rotors at it, whether they're 2 piece or the basic one piece......as well as flush the brake fluid w/ new........
Old 12-27-21, 04:08 AM
Logan00008
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 Lexus Es350

Originally Posted by ToyotaLexus
last Friday, I dropped off my RX at the Lexus dealer. the service advisor
advised me that I needed new brake pads for front and rear. They have
worn down to 2mm(front) and 3mm(rear)... I had expected this, since it's
been a while... however, he also told me that the rotors also needed to
be machined.... The total bill was $610. (the parts cost for the front and
rear brake pads were only $90)

Did my Lexus dealer charge me too much for something that one mechanic
completed in 1.5 hour? (arrived at 1pm and was out the door by 2:30pm)

by comparison, my sister recently had the front AND rear brake pads and
rotors replaced, as well brake fluid flushed, on her old Mercedes AMG C43
(that's 8 Mercedes pads and 4 Mercedes rotors, new MB brake fluid).
It was done at a Mercedes dealership. The total parts and labor cost
was only $520.
I just got my brake pads and rotors replaced.. they quoted me 350 per axel including labor. So it was around $700 + tax.

I can post the breakdown of each part, I do recall them the cost of labor was $150 per hour and it was an hour job.

Quick Reply: $610 for brake pad job, did my Lexus dealer charge too much?