Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Winter tire dilemma...

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-08, 09:54 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Exclamation Winter tire dilemma...

Ok folks,

I'm going to toss this question out to see what kind of response I get. I am currently waiting for my alloy wheels to arrive so in the meantime I have a winter tire dilemma for my Lexus ES 330...

I purchased a set of Bridgestone Blizzak WS-50 tires in the 215 55 17 size from Tirerack recently (got an aweseome deal & yes they still had some available)....I have heard excellent things about this tire even though technically they are the last generation Blizzak's (replaced by the WS-60 as most know).

My problem is they are 'Q' speed rated and have heard they are quite squishy in the handling department and for whatever reason that is bothering me as a bit disconcerting (no I'm not peeling around corners in the middle of a blizzard - is that even possible lol? - ...or anything like that.....just normal every day driving).

I'm considering selling them (they have never been mounted & still have the factory stickers on them) & instead getting a set of Toyo Garit KX in the same 215 55 17 size which are 'H' speed rated & are still available. Which is the better winter tire?

Any advice or suggestions one way or the other on this? Thanks.
Old 12-31-08, 10:21 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

For winter driving only, it shouldn't matter the speed rating...

Q is 99 mph rating...

Typically, winter tires just feel more squishy as they have more cuts and sipes and a significantly softer tread compound... the reason Bridgestone only gives a Q rating isn't because of sidewall compound, it's because the super soft tread compound will overheat if driven about that speed for periods of time

Chances are you could go to the Toyo and get a little better handling performance, but reduced snow performance...
Old 12-31-08, 11:49 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
For winter driving only, it shouldn't matter the speed rating...

Q is 99 mph rating...

Typically, winter tires just feel more squishy as they have more cuts and sipes and a significantly softer tread compound... the reason Bridgestone only gives a Q rating isn't because of sidewall compound, it's because the super soft tread compound will overheat if driven about that speed for periods of time

Chances are you could go to the Toyo and get a little better handling performance, but reduced snow performance...

Yeah, I'm trying to weigh the pro's & con's of possibly moving to the Toyo's...sounds like I should just hang onto the WS-50's & enjoy?

I appreciate your reply mitsuguy.
Old 01-08-09, 07:09 AM
rosen39
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had Toyo's on our ES300 and Blizzaks on several cars. The rubber compound is softer for the first half of the tread life. It's just part of winter driving.