Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

The Tire Rack Exchange Policy: Be aware

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-08, 09:42 AM
Indyken
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Tire Rack Exchange Policy: Be aware

Guys,

I recently experienced something you may want to weigh before buying your next set of tires at TireRack, their exchange policy. If you are not satisfied with a product you buy from them and drive on for less than 24 hours, too bad.

A bit of background first.

I've been a fan of tirerack since I purchased from them for the first time in 2004. I've now bought 5 different FULL sets of tires from tirerack and have referred countless people to their site since then because of their ability to drop ship to my local installer. The total costs are just a little less than the local tire dealer after you factor in shipping and mounting at your local shop but the products from tire rack are a little newer as it relates to "production dates". Last week I purchased the 5th set from Tirerack. This time it was Goodyear F1 GS-D3's for my IS. I ordered 215's for the fronts and 225's for the rears as this is an option for the sportcross. Here's what transpired.
Dear Tire Rack,

On Monday of this week I ordered my third set of 4 new Goodyear F1’s for my 2003 Lexus IS 300 Sportcross from Tirerack. I’ve ordered 5 times from you guys and have been more than satisfied with your service even though I’ve picked a couple of “dog” brand tires in the past. Anyhow, I had the F1’s installed yesterday and have put about 20 miles on them. I have a problem though. I absolutely hate the way the 225/45ZR/17’s handle on the back of the car. They feel like marshmallows while fronts feel quite stable and responsive. Is there any kind of policy that exists where I am able to exchange these for the 215/45ZR/17’s that I bought for the front?

Sincerely,

Ken

Dear Mr. XXXX,

Thank you for your email.

I'm sorry to learn that you're experiencing a different ride in the tires.

Unfortunately, there is not a return policy for tires that have been driven on. We cannot accept them back.

I'm very sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused. Please let me know if there is anything more I can assist you with, I'd be happy to help.

Thank you,

Melody Gersey | Customer Service Representative
__________________________________________________ ________

Tire Rack
7101 Vorden Parkway
South Bend, IN 46628
O: 888 981 3953 ext. 641
O: 574 287 2345 ext. 641
F: 574 236 7707
melody@tirerack.com

Dear Melody,

Wow, that’s really surprising considering I’ve bought a number of sets in the past without any issues. I gotta be honest and say this issue will weigh heavily for me in the future when buying tires and I will be certain to pass along the tirerack policy to the people in my auto forums.

Sincerely,
Ken

With that said, my local Goodyear & Discount Tire shops both confirmed they WOULD HAVE exchanged my two rear tires if I would have bought these tires from them. Grant you, the Tirerack price was a lot lower than the local shop but once you factor in shipping & mounting costs at a local shop, I saved a total of $20 with Tirerack and NO EXCHANGE POLICY. For that difference, I just can't justify going to Tirerack for my 6th set. So, just beware.

Ken
Old 12-21-08, 09:44 AM
Indyken
Driver School Candidate

Default Tirerack Exchange Policy; Be aware

Guys,

I recently experienced something you may want to weigh before buying your next set of tires at TireRack, their exchange policy. If you are not satisfied with a product you buy from them and drive on for less than 24 hours, too bad.

A bit of background first.

I've been a fan of tirerack since I purchased from them for the first time in 2004. I've now bought 5 different FULL sets of tires from tirerack and have referred countless people to their site since then because of their ability to drop ship to my local installer. The total costs are just a little less than the local tire dealer after you factor in shipping and mounting at your local shop but the products from tire rack are a little newer as it relates to "production dates". Last week I purchased the 5th set from Tirerack. This time it was Goodyear F1 GS-D3's for my IS. I ordered 215's for the fronts and 225's for the rears as this is an option for the sportcross. Here's what transpired.
Dear Tire Rack,

On Monday of this week I ordered my third set of 4 new Goodyear F1’s for my 2003 Lexus IS 300 Sportcross from Tirerack. I’ve ordered 5 times from you guys and have been more than satisfied with your service even though I’ve picked a couple of “dog” brand tires in the past. Anyhow, I had the F1’s installed yesterday and have put about 20 miles on them. I have a problem though. I absolutely hate the way the 225/45ZR/17’s handle on the back of the car. They feel like marshmallows while fronts feel quite stable and responsive. Is there any kind of policy that exists where I am able to exchange these for the 215/45ZR/17’s that I bought for the front?

Sincerely,

Ken

Dear Mr. XXXX,

Thank you for your email.

I'm sorry to learn that you're experiencing a different ride in the tires.

Unfortunately, there is not a return policy for tires that have been driven on. We cannot accept them back.

I'm very sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused. Please let me know if there is anything more I can assist you with, I'd be happy to help.

Thank you,

Melody Gersey | Customer Service Representative
__________________________________________________ ________

Tire Rack
7101 Vorden Parkway
South Bend, IN 46628
O: 888 981 3953 ext. 641
O: 574 287 2345 ext. 641
F: 574 236 7707
melody@tirerack.com

Dear Melody,

Wow, that’s really surprising considering I’ve bought a number of sets in the past without any issues. I gotta be honest and say this issue will weigh heavily for me in the future when buying tires and I will be certain to pass along the tirerack policy to the people in my auto forums.

Sincerely,
Ken

With that said, my local Goodyear & Discount Tire shops both confirmed they WOULD HAVE exchanged my two rear tires if I would have bought these tires from them. Grant you, the Tirerack price was a lot lower than the local shop but once you factor in shipping & mounting costs at a local shop, I saved a total of $20 with Tirerack and NO EXCHANGE POLICY. For that difference, I just can't justify going to Tirerack for my 6th set. So, just beware.

Ken
Old 12-21-08, 09:50 AM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I see where you're coming from, but it’s not tireracks fault.

Its like someone trying to return a condom, saying I just put it on for a minute and it just didn’t feel right. These types of things, tires, brake pads, oil once used are done for, a company like tire rack would have to take the tires back trash them and give you a new set. The reason why your local place would do it is they would probably turn around and sell the set you didn’t like to the next poor shmuck that walked in.
Old 12-21-08, 09:51 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

well i dont think Tire Rack sells used tires and i kinda agree with them since u did drive on them. its kinda like trying to return used boxers because they dont feel right lol. good luck with ur issue though, im sure they'll fix it.

edit:lol didnt see lexiss post since i was typing but our analogies are kinda the same lol.
Old 12-21-08, 11:07 AM
SloGS400
Pole Position

Always ask to speak to someone above the initial customer service contact. Whoever you spoke to prpbably doesn't have any authority. In addition, I'd probably try to contact Goodyear directly. Either way, good luck!
Old 12-21-08, 11:15 AM
SATXSC400
Pole Position

^ Thanks for the heads up Ken. I have always preferred to buy tires from Discount Tire because of the warranty they offer. They have also had the best customer service in my opinion as well. To me the advantages of buying through Discount Tire has always out weighed the small $ savings. Good looking out...!!
Old 12-21-08, 11:35 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

this is the wheels classified forum, u already have a thread in the tires and wheel forum. dont keep making threads to spread your misfortunes.
Old 12-21-08, 12:30 PM
ChronoJ1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't take used tires back either. You should've done your research before you purchased the tires.
Old 12-21-08, 12:44 PM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

i used to be a service writer at pep boys and sold many tires...if a customer had a problem with any product we sold we made sure we took care of the customer....sometimes u have to lose the battle to win the war....
Old 12-21-08, 12:46 PM
JDMUSCLE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Im suprised that you actually think that Tire Rack is at fault here, never heard of any company that would take back a used product (tires) just cause you dont like the way they drive.
Old 12-21-08, 02:56 PM
War Eagle!
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JDMUSCLE
never heard of any company that would take back a used product (tires) just cause you dont like the way they drive.
I'm not surprised that tirerack did not accept the return. Almost every almost every dealer that I've purchased from has had a "limited exchange" policy, however they always require replacements to be of the same size tire.
Old 12-21-08, 02:57 PM
BoOst3d
Lead Lap

would u take back used tires? i wouldnt. thats your fault, not theirs for taking a lost because you didnt like them. its not like they were defective
Old 12-21-08, 03:11 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Who installed the tires bought from Tire Rack? Was it Tire Rack themselves or an installer that was recommended by Tire Rack? It is easy for a local tire shop to make an exchange for a customer when they sold the tires and installed/balanced the tires themselves. It is much harder to expect a company to be willing to make a tire swap when the tires were probably mounted and balanced by a 3rd party. It would just be too time consuming and expensive to have a customer send the tires back for inspection to insure the other company mounted the tires properly and didn't damage them, then issue out another set.

PS. I would ask your local Goodyear and Discount Tire shop if they would still exchange the tires for you if you bought them and had them installed by another shop. If they do then good for them, but I'd be surprised.
Old 12-21-08, 04:40 PM
Indyken
Driver School Candidate

Default Many of you don't get it

The point of my post was to educate people who may be considering Tirerack, to weigh all of their options. The shop that I had them installed at IS an approved installer for them. There is nothing wrong with the mounting or the craftsmanship of the tire. Sure it would've been nice for them to exchange the two I bought but the point is to get as much information out there for the people who are considering buying tires online from them, to make a fully informed decision. Sure, I won't be buying a 6th, 7th, 8th or any further sets from Tirerack and will only shop locally from now on where somebody is able to work with you in the event you have a problem. I ordered a tire that they clearly stated is a fitament for my vehicle so I wasn't going out on a limb with picking "what I thought might work."

Last edited by Indyken; 12-21-08 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 12-21-08, 05:55 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anytime I buy anything online, I completely read and review their return and refund policy. TireRack's return policy clearly states in the first paragraph that once a tire is ridden on it is non-returnable: "If you need to return or exchange an item, please call 1-888-541-1777 (ext. 360, customer service) for a Return Authorization Number. We will accept returns within 30 days of delivery. Only unused product that has not been driven on is eligible for return."

This is probably the main reason why I always go to a local tire shop that I have built up a good relationship with. They will take back tires on a prorated mileage basis up to 30 days from purchase and they will try their best to meet TireRacks pricing. They may not be able to match them since they still have to pay their distibutor for the tires, but they can make it up on other services like alignments or balancing.

steviej

Quick Reply: The Tire Rack Exchange Policy: Be aware