Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Avoid Goodyear F1 All Season tires

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-08, 01:59 PM
njmurvin
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Avoid Goodyear F1 All Season tires

Or at least be warned . . . I recently bought these tires at America's Tire.

At least one of my tires (I say at least because I don't know yet conclusively that others aren't affected) was losing pressure over several days (took about a week to go from 37 to 25 lbs). I took the car back to AT and they put it in the dunk tank. I had two small leaks around the inside bead of the tire. After removing the tire, it was pointed out that these tires (apparently not all Goodyears are like this) have small vertical casting bumps (thin lines) every foot or so along the perimeter of the bead. The leaks were happening in two of these areas. It was also pointed out that these marks actually dug into the rim causing slight indentations.

I was told that a bead sealant would take care of it and it did - but only after two applications. I don't know if this particular tire was just extra bad in this area or if there may be very slow leaks in the other tires that just haven't shown up yet.

I just thought I'd let everyone know. Might as well avoid this tire as long as other options exist.
Old 12-01-08, 02:09 PM
ChrISF
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

good to know. thanks for the heads up!
Old 12-01-08, 02:15 PM
BoOst3d
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its probably just one defective tire
Old 12-01-08, 02:16 PM
BounceNY
Lexus Test Driver

No problems like that here...
Old 12-01-08, 02:29 PM
njmurvin
Driver

Originally Posted by Lam N 002
its probably just one defective tire
I thought so as well. But he showed me other tires with the same casting bumps and others that are completely smooth. He even said other mfrs besides Goodyear have different models with and without them. In this particular case, it caused multiple leaks.

But, I agree that if this was a widespread defect, someone else would have complained with all the surveys, etc. on AT's and Tire Rack's websites.

Next time I get tires, I'll choose something with a smooth bead.
Old 12-01-08, 02:35 PM
NYC ES3
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

thanks for the heads up ...but mine have been OK ...only about 2000 miles on um but they have been fine
Old 12-01-08, 02:46 PM
Audiofan2
Pole Position

No problem with mine, had them since June. 265/35/18 I need to get some fronts soon though so thanks for the heads up. I did notice aconsiderable difference in the ride quality at 45psi though vs. America's Tire original 32psi.
Old 12-01-08, 03:39 PM
andyboy
Lead Lap

No problems with my F1 tires here. have about 5k miles on them.
Old 12-01-08, 06:36 PM
sincityIS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have had mine for like 15K-18K. No problems with mine either. I like them a lot for the price. They are quiet, smooth, and get good traction in all conditions. You can't beat them for the money.
If I was going with a cheaper tire I may get the Nitto Invos. If I was going more expensive then the only option would be Michelin PS2s. There is not tire that can compare to the PS2s.
Old 12-01-08, 08:19 PM
k_dizzle
Pole Position

thanks for the heads up i guess but ummm... maybe you just have bad luck..ive drove about 8k on my f1s and they are absolutely fine.
Old 12-02-08, 01:08 PM
njmurvin
Driver

Thanks for all the feedback. Glad to hear mine is a probably a fluke (and appears to be holding air now with the bead sealant). I like them otherwise and I have to say that America's Tire was great about fixing it. Based on your experiences, I feel more assured that the other 3 tires are fine as well.
Old 12-02-08, 01:16 PM
DaSyce
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by njmurvin
Thanks for all the feedback. Glad to hear mine is a probably a fluke (and appears to be holding air now with the bead sealant). I like them otherwise and I have to say that America's Tire was great about fixing it. Based on your experiences, I feel more assured that the other 3 tires are fine as well.
I think America Tire didn’t do a good job on the initial install.
Old 12-02-08, 07:00 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by DaSyce
I think America Tire didn’t do a good job on the initial install.
Don't work there, but I will stand up for them here... certain tires have had this issue on certain wheels... sometimes its just luck of the draw... Goodyear is definitely silly letting the mold casing lines run into the bead area - just not a smart design...
Old 01-17-09, 10:39 PM
is2fiftee
Driver School Candidate

First of all, what great info, I'm diggin google to find reviews of these tires particularly on ISx50. I've frequent the site before but finally registered today. So hope you guys can help a new member out...

I'm about to get 2 of these for my fronts (225/40/18) a few questions for you guys:
- How's the noise level?
- Can I temporarily mix these with the Potenza 050 (255/40/18 rear)? (the rear aren't really worn yet, and i'm on a budget) (maybe another 5k miles)
- Should I get the TPMS rebuild kit?
- Is it OK to mix brands because the matching sets are so limited and expensive on discountire/americaTire? (what do you recommend if it's ok)

Thanks in advance...

Last edited by is2fiftee; 01-17-09 at 10:43 PM.
Old 01-17-09, 11:35 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

It's hard for me to review tires because I am biased after many years of tire sales (of all brands), however, I can say, it is definitely worthwhile to do the TPMS rebuild kits... those are rubber grommets and should be replaced just like a rubber valve stem should...

Quick Reply: Avoid Goodyear F1 All Season tires