Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Good winter/all season tire

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-08, 09:15 AM
rhwimmers
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Good winter/all season tire

Looking for a good set of tires for my stock rims on 03 GS300
Currently have Michellen radial XSE X green 215/60R16

Ive heard a lot of rave about the The Pilot Sport A/S but they don't come in this size according to the guy I just spoke to.
They have the exalto AS for $135 each (costco) anyone know if they are good? 45k warranty on them.
A few others they offer
Michelin - Energy™ MXV4 S8
Michelin - Primacy™ Alpin PA3
BFGoodrich - Traction T/A

These are going to be primarily for winter time (indiana) and used from November to February or so with mostly in town driving but long trips on occasion. I do want a good all season tire though as I am selling my "summer" rims and tires so when they are gone I don't need to get new tires for the stock rims (which is why im not just getting pure snow tires)

TIA
Old 11-13-08, 09:20 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

dude, I had Michelin PS AS but they were HOOOOORRIBLE. BUt then again, I went from Toyo T1-S to those...I'm on Toyo Proxes AS now. Much better than PS A/S.

I use Dunlop Wintersport M3 DSST for snow, you'll need them when it snows around here.
Old 11-13-08, 09:23 AM
HGill
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If youre driving in the snow get some dedicated snow tires. I have the yokohama ice guard. The snow tires will make a world of difference over all seasons.
Old 11-13-08, 09:59 AM
Plum
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take a look at Nokian WR G2.
No affiliation, they are excellent "all weather" tires.
Not cheap but very good in all weather conditions.
Have them on my ES and they have been great.
Old 11-13-08, 11:28 AM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Fuzion HRi FTW only $75 a tire, supposed to last 40k miles, Ive had mine on for about 8k miles and love em.
Old 11-13-08, 05:04 PM
grapedrink
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got Pirelli P-Zero Nero M+S I like em
Old 11-14-08, 08:14 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rhwimmers

Ive heard a lot of rave about the The Pilot Sport A/S but they don't come in this size according to the guy I just spoke to.
They have the exalto AS for $135 each (costco) anyone know if they are good? 45k warranty on them.
A few others they offer

These are going to be primarily for winter time (indiana) and used from November to February or so with mostly in town driving but long trips on occasion. I do want a good all season tire though as I am selling my "summer" rims and tires so when they are gone I don't need to get new tires for the stock rims (which is why im not just getting pure snow tires)

TIA
I had the Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S on my 2002 ES and loved them. Great in rain and on dry pavement. They were very good in light snow and decent in heavy snow. These gave a smooth ride and were very quiet. Simply can't beat them for the money.

The Michelin Alpin PA3 series is actually a performance winter snow tire and not an all season tire. I actually just dumped my runflats for the Michelin Pilot (not Primacy) Alpin PA3 tires as my November to March tires. So far (less than 250 miles) I am impressed with how smooth and quiet these are for a dedicated winter snow tire. No snow yet, so I can't speak to the handling there. The Pilot Alpins set me back $200 for each.

steviej
Old 11-28-08, 10:00 AM
LexusPia
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by rhwimmers

A few others they offer

TIA
As far as I'm concerned, there's no such thing as a "good winter/all-season tire". All season tires are made as a compromise to handle light duty wintery conditions but they are no match in real snow and ice. If you get bad winters like we do in IL with snow, ice, freezing rain and slush, you are better off getting a set of dedicated snow tires and store your all seasons until the spring. I have a GS4 and after 2 winters of nail-biting driving experience with all seasons tires, I wised up and got me a set of 4 Bridgestone WS60 snow tires from Sams Club and at the same time picked up an extra set of used Lexus rims from the classified here on this board for around $100. These snow tires are so good and quiet that I kicked myself for not doing it much sooner.
Old 11-28-08, 04:40 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

don't leave out the Bridgestone RE960 AS... by far one of the best performance all season tires out there... however, as has been noted, if you are really doing winter driving for any determinable portion of the year, it would definitely be in your best interest to invest in a set of beater wheels and snow tires...