Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Patch or plug???

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-09, 07:16 PM
GS2006
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
Well, here we go...

Are you sure it is a store manager?
Thanks,
The guy I worked through to buy the tires clamed to be the assistant manager. He was out today, so I have not asked him these questions. The person who helped me today claimed to be an assistant manager as well, but did not seem to know as much as the other guy. They guy that actually did the repair seemed to know more. They claim they have “strict guidelines” they must follow for a repair or replace and they follow the Rubber Manufacturers Association (RMA) recommended repair procedures.. What I found funny was one guy said that it was true a repair lowers the speed rating for run flats but only by 10mph .. When he said that I asked to speak with someone else.

Do manufactures normally cover car/rim damage from defective tire blow outs? Is this loss of speed rating and maybe loss of manufacture warranty something that should be concern? I was looking for something from Michelin on this issue, but can not find anything on their site. I’m thinking of calling their customer service tomorrow at 1-866-866-6605 and see what response I get. I do not see any mention of loss of warranty or speed rating in their document with proper repair: http://www.michelinman.com/media/en-...d-warranty.pdf Maybe I missed it.
Old 04-09-09, 07:28 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

It's impossible to say for sure, but I have had customers reimbursed from the tire manufacturers for damage caused by defective tires. The most notable that I remember was a Pirelli truck tire that came apart and destroyed the bed of a relatively new full size truck... The customer was reimbursed for full amount to repair the truck.

I don't think it should be a concern if the vehicle is driven at normal speeds, and I would have no problems driving on a properly repaired tire. However, I have seen tires with problems in the exact area as proper repairs where the tires are starting to come apart, possibly because of the repair itself. I prefer to replace a tire if possible, and always have, as safety is #1 with me, and I've been known to drive above legal speeds at times...

At DT, depending on how busy a store is, you might walk in and find all but 2 or 3 people there are assistant managers. Next time ask him what level assistant manager he is. Manager, senior assistant and 3rd assistants are pretty smart most the time - they are also the keyholders... 4th and 5th level guys can be pretty bright as they've usually been through all the right training, but might not have been there a real long time... 6th level guys are typically very new and may or may not know anything other than how to look up tire sizes in the computer and recommend to you whatever they were told to recommend...

as far as the 10mph comment - that's utter BS... one of the manufacturers that I recall, might have been that it drops one speed rating on the first repair, and then it is gone after the second repair... I'll see if I can find any of that info here, but I think it's all at home in the states....
Old 04-09-09, 10:54 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

so I downloaded Michelin's warranty pamphlet... it's got some good info in it...

I particularly like "what is not covered, tires which become unserviceable due to: road hazard injury (e.g., a cut, snag, bruise, impact damage or puncture); incorrect mounting of the tire, tire/wheel imbalance or improper repair; <snip> the addition of liquid, solid or gaseous materials other than air, nitrogen or carbon dioxide (for example, waterbase sealers or balancing substances) <snip>

that right there says that a puncture can void the warranty, an improper repair can void the warranty, or use of fix a flat type sealants can void the warranty... so, if you get a puncture in a tire, you might as well consider the manufacturer no longer liable for what happens to that tire (though you might fare well if it goes to court and the two are not related)

in the speed rating section, you get "speed ratings are based on laboratory tests which relate to performance on the road, but are not applicable if tires are underinflated, overloaded, worn out, damaged, altered, improperly repaired or retreaded"

Now, to some, that might say so long as it is repaired properly, it is ok. One thing I remember from elementary school English was that when using commas, any and all items should fit with the sentence if you take out the rest of the items, therefore, you can reword that to say " "speed ratings are based on laboratory tests which relate to performance on the road, but are not applicable if tires are damaged" and also "speed ratings are based on laboratory tests which relate to performance on the road, but are not applicable if tires are improperly repaired"

As there is no wording that says "unless the damage is properly repaired" then you can assume that that means that the tire loses its speed rating with any puncture, cut, snag, bruise or anything...

oh, and I might add, that no employee at any store has the right to modify their warranty... it might go a long way in court when suing the store that told you a lie, but the tire manufacturer will stand behind what is in their book...

from Tireracks site:
"It is important to note that speed ratings only apply to tires that have not been damaged, altered, under-inflated or overloaded. Additionally, most tire manufacturers maintain that a tire that has been cut or punctured no longer retains the tire manufacturer's original speed rating, even after being repaired because the tire manufacturer can't control the quality of the repair."

One company goes as far as to prohibit repairing speed rated tires:
"Tire puncture repairs affect the Manufacturer's speed ratings
- Speed ratings are reduced or eliminated when tires are repaired.
- Vehicles that demand a speed rated tire should not use tires with lower speed ratings.
- Follow the repair policies of speed rated tires:
* HR or Less - repairable
* HR or More - non-repairable"

I think Dunlop's stand was already posted on this:
"Dunlop Safety Advisory, Speed Rated Tires: Repaired tires must not be used in excess of posted speed limits, in race or other competition. Speed Ratings are not valid for repaired, re-treaded, under-inflated or overloaded, excessively worn, damaged or altered tires."

I found it - I knew one manufacturer allowed repairs... Goodyear says that 1 repair can be made without sacrificing the speed rating, so long as the puncture and repair are within RMA guidelines: http://www.policedriving.com/article77.htm

Here's a nice article from the TIA regarding this: http://www.retread.org/PDF/Rolwing.pdf

Hankook says that a repaired tire voids the speed rating symbols: "These symbols are not applicable to the repaired tires."

Cooper tire says "Speed Ratings. When a Cooper-produced speed rated tire has been repaired, the speed rating no longer applies."

Bridgestone/Firestone says "The tire's speed rating is void if the tire is repaired, retreaded, damaged, abused, or otherwise altered from its original condition. It should be treated as a non-speed rated tire."

I looked for some others, but couldn't find much... hope this helps, although I'm sure it makes it even more difficult...

Last edited by mitsuguy; 04-09-09 at 11:19 PM.
Old 04-10-09, 08:27 AM
GS2006
Lead Lap

Oh, it gets better. This is a great topic and conversation.. You have tons of valuable information.

I called Michelin’s customer service twice to make sure I got the same information and it was consistent. I was told Michelin’s Speed Rated Tires do not lose their speed rating with a repair within the RMA’s procedures. I asked if the document was on line and was told no . However they did fax me the page of interest which is from a Michelin document. He told me the document was 300 pages long. Name of the document is “Tire Fitment Guide”. He/they said that Michelin is in agreement with Tire Industry Association (TIA) and the Rubber Manufacture Association (RMA) repair guidelines.

I will type the response. I left off the Tire Inspection section that references the TIA.

Begin Quote “
Repairing Speed-Rated Tires
Repairing speed-rated tires is permitted with the following conditions:
• Ľ” diameter or less per RMA procedure
• Maximum (3) repairs to an individual tire,
• Each repair location minimum of 90 degrees apart.
• No additional repair can be made if first or second repair is not an approved RMA repair type. If non-RMA type, scrap tire.
Retread Speed-Rated Tires
If a speed-rated tire is retreaded, the speed rating is no longer valid.
“ End Quote

Since you were in the business, maybe you have access to this document or the TIA information. Looks like their classes and access to this information is expensive. I don’t see the words “Speed Rating Retained”, however I was told it was and they fact they have the statement about retread, I would think they would state any loss of rating?? I get the feeling but do not have the TIA or RMA documents, but it appears this repair statement is from their organizations? Do you have any insight to those organizations specifications on repairs? Also, are DT lead guys trained by the TIA or RMA?

so I downloaded Michelin's warranty pamphlet... it's got some good info in it...

I particularly like "what is not covered, tires which become unserviceable due to: road hazard injury (e.g., a cut, snag, bruise, impact damage or puncture); incorrect mounting of the tire, tire/wheel imbalance or improper repair; <snip> the addition of liquid, solid or gaseous materials other than air, nitrogen or carbon dioxide (for example, waterbase sealers or balancing substances) <snip>
Oh yes, they will always leave wiggle room for lawyers and I’m sure one wrote the thing.

oh, and I might add, that no employee at any store has the right to modify their warranty...
If they would have stated this, I would have called a stop to the conversation and made a call

I found it - I knew one manufacturer allowed repairs... Goodyear says that 1 repair can be made without sacrificing the speed rating, so long as the puncture and repair are within RMA guidelines: http://www.policedriving.com/article77.htm
Good stuff. If would be interesting to know how law enforcement treats repairs.

Here's a nice article from the TIA regarding this: http://www.retread.org/PDF/Rolwing.pdf
It appears Michelin, TIA and RMA are in agreement?

I looked for some others, but couldn't find much... hope this helps, although I'm sure it makes it even more difficult...
Not a chance, this is great stuff and the most intellectual and informative thread on this site I have found.
Old 04-10-09, 08:35 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Interesting...

Unfortunately, I no longer have access to that stuff - got out of the business in February, and honestly, don't plan on going back for some time, if ever...

DT used information from the TIA, Michelin, and all other tire manufacturers. I suppose if you take it that way, then there is no form response, as each manufacturer will have different response to speed ratings it seems...
Old 04-10-09, 11:37 AM
Brandon@TR
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The article on our site describes how a tire is repaired, and the cross section photo may give some clues as to why the speed rating may be eliminated.

http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=DZ1&....jsp?techid=77

Speed rating retention after repair varies by manufacturer. Those that say it is eliminated do so because there is really no way to know for sure what damage has been done to the tire's steel belts, body cord and reinforcement fabric. A look at the cross section photo in our repair article shows all of the non-rubber components that get cut or damaged when the object penetrates the tire. Unless you can X-ray the tire, there is no sure way to know what has happened inside.

The RMA guideline that says no repairs can be within 90 degrees of each other is to make sure there is sufficient support around the puncture area to keep the tire intact under the forces at high speed.

Hope that helps.
Old 04-12-09, 06:01 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

In my opinon, there is a lot of nit-picking in this thread and worrying about speed rating certifications and other legal mumbo jumbo. Just apply some some common sense here:

In simple terms:

1) Is a repaired tire worse than a brand new tire?
Duh, yes.

2) What is the best way to repair a tire?
A more complete repair (off the rim, patch+plug) is a better repair then a quickie repair-but some gas stations/emergency service may only have the capabilities or interest to give you a quickie repair. Always opt for the best repair possible from the tire store if you have a choice.

3) How much "worse" is the repaired tire?
Well that depends on exactly how bad the damage was and the exact construction and limits of your tire, even to the skill of the tire jockey doing the repair properly.
For day-to-day driving (under the speed limit) a properly repaired tire will not fail. When your tire repair person says the tire is repaired, they are indiating it is safe to drive on (at public legal speeds). No one is going to tell you exactly how close to a new tire YOUR precise repaired tire is going to be, as each tire, damage, and repair is different. Well one can probably tell somewhat, a biger screw in the middle of a treadblock is going to be worse then a pinprick inbetween treads, but no one would be willing to make any statements that puts them at legal risk when some dumbass decides to do top speed testing on repaired tires.

4) Should you be racing on repaired tires?
Go back to #1 and #3. A non-repaired tire is better then your repaired tire and no one can tell you exactly how much worse it really is. You should consider what you are spending on your track day compared to what you are bringing to the track.
It's the same as you had balding tires or worn brake pads, you're not getting the best out of your track day, and those parts may or may not fail on you.

Last edited by raytseng; 04-12-09 at 06:11 PM.
Old 04-12-09, 08:16 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I'd like to add that it is probably a good idea to have your tire rebalanced if using the "patch" repair method.
Old 04-12-09, 10:12 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

How about patch plug?

I've got this done twice on a same tire... still working great after sometime...
Old 04-13-09, 01:01 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by istundra
How about patch plug?

I've got this done twice on a same tire... still working great after sometime...
Thats what we're talking about when we say a proper, RMA approved type repair... the tire has to be sealed from the tread to the inner liner with the plug style part, and then the inner liner has to be sealed with a patch... there are multiple ways to do this, however that is the easiest way and also the most resilient...

one other option is a two part repair (which I might add must be used if the angle of the repair is greater than 25 degrees), where the plug part and the patch are separate - a little more work and experience needed to get it right, it holds up just as well...

the last option is still a two part repair, first step uses an old school, standard "sticky plug" like used to be the standard repair - stick it in from the outside... however, this method requires the tire to be off the wheel as does all RMA approved methods... the two different steps with this is that the tire must be cleaned of contaminants on the inside in the area around the puncture, and then, after the plug is pulled through, a sealant called safe-t seal (or something like that) is applied all around the plug about an inch and a half in diameter... allowed to dry and then the tire is reinstalled...
Old 04-13-09, 07:46 AM
GS2006
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by raytseng
In my opinon, there is a lot of nit-picking in this thread and worrying about speed rating certifications and other legal mumbo jumbo. Just apply some some common sense here:

In simple terms:

1) Is a repaired tire worse than a brand new tire?
Duh, yes.

2) What is the best way to repair a tire?
A more complete repair (off the rim, patch+plug) is a better repair then a quickie repair-but some gas stations/emergency service may only have the capabilities or interest to give you a quickie repair. Always opt for the best repair possible from the tire store if you have a choice.

3) How much "worse" is the repaired tire?
Well that depends on exactly how bad the damage was and the exact construction and limits of your tire, even to the skill of the tire jockey doing the repair properly.
For day-to-day driving (under the speed limit) a properly repaired tire will not fail. When your tire repair person says the tire is repaired, they are indiating it is safe to drive on (at public legal speeds). No one is going to tell you exactly how close to a new tire YOUR precise repaired tire is going to be, as each tire, damage, and repair is different. Well one can probably tell somewhat, a biger screw in the middle of a treadblock is going to be worse then a pinprick inbetween treads, but no one would be willing to make any statements that puts them at legal risk when some dumbass decides to do top speed testing on repaired tires.

4) Should you be racing on repaired tires?
Go back to #1 and #3. A non-repaired tire is better then your repaired tire and no one can tell you exactly how much worse it really is. You should consider what you are spending on your track day compared to what you are bringing to the track.
It's the same as you had balding tires or worn brake pads, you're not getting the best out of your track day, and those parts may or may not fail on you.

raytseng, nice summary even though Kevin Rohlwing of the Tire Industry Association states "By definition, a repair restores the original condition, so the original speed rating is retained."
I’m not sure I believe this, but a repaired tire may perform as well as an unrepaired tire.
I had a conversation with Barry Smith who is an engineer who has worked with Kevin Rohwing and the TIA.
Here is a link to the conversation: http://en.allexperts.com/q/Tires-235...d-Rating-2.htm

Some of the highlights include:
“RMA IS the tire manufacturers - and the folks that write the repair procedures are the same folks who write the warranties.”

“You will notice that contained within the RMA document on repair is a statement about consulting the tire manufacturer about what happens to the speed rating when a tire is repaired.”

“A large retailer has a great deal of leverage with a tire manufacturer and can extract all kinds of concessions - including product liability agreements. If a large retailer has such a document, then they would feel pretty safe making statements because they don't have to defend them.”

This is were I see tire retailers doing consumers a disservice by not informing them of the possible risks of a repaired speed rated tire even when pressed for information.

mitsuguy, what do you know about these concessions?

Thanks
Old 04-13-09, 07:53 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by GS2006
“A large retailer has a great deal of leverage with a tire manufacturer and can extract all kinds of concessions - including product liability agreements. If a large retailer has such a document, then they would feel pretty safe making statements because they don't have to defend them.”

This is were I see tire retailers doing consumers a disservice by not informing them of the possible risks of a repaired speed rated tire even when pressed for information.

mitsuguy, what do you know about these concessions?

Thanks
I am sure if they existed that they were way over my head in terms of management, and they were definitely never filtered down. I do know that when sending a tire in for adjustment credit, we could "lean" on those doing the credits to go ahead and give us credit on tires that were damaged in the same region as they also had a structural issue. Not all the time would they give us credit, but a portion of the time. When it came to product liability, to be honest, that was completely out of our jurisdiction, all we did was the paperwork and sent it in to the respective corporations headquarters for further investigation.

One thing I can tell you for sure is that when tires are imported and that particular brand does not have a presence in the US, then the company that imports those tires essentially becomes completely liable for them. A few years back, remember the chinese tire scare. The company that imported those tires was found liable for all damages and forced a recall of those tires. They did not manufacture them, but they imported and sold them. Because they imported them, they became their responsibility...