Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Tires Recommendation for IS250 A/S

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-08, 12:35 PM
06-IS250
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tires Recommendation for IS250 A/S

Hey guys,

I did a little bit of reading, but to be honest, I still dont know what tires I should get.

Im looking to get All season tires (I live in vancouver, lots of rain), so I need something that is best in rain. Snow traction would be awesome too, but its not a priority, i'd rather have better rain traction. Also, I dont need performance tires, I dont speed in the rain.

1. Best traction in rain
2. Quiet and comfort
3. tread life

I am willing to spend the money that is neccessary to get the best tires, so let me know what you guys reccommend. Btw, it is a RWD IS250.

Thanks!
Old 09-17-08, 02:51 PM
LEXMAN350
Pole Position

I heard Michellin PS2's are really great tires.
Old 09-17-08, 05:09 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am really liking the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires I have on. Excellent rain traction as well as dry. Very quiet and comfortable for an 18" tire. I, however, cannot speak to snow traction.......yet.

steviej
Old 09-18-08, 03:45 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Actually, most Dry/Wet tires are better in the wet than A/S tires are (general rule only)... Some of the things manufacturers have to do to give a tire snow capability detract from it's wet weather performance...

that being said, some of your better options are going to be Bridgestone RE960A/S, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Goodyear F1 A/S... I am partial to Bridgestone, however...

As far as performance tires are concerned, you DO need performance tires, as your vehicle requires them... You need to stay with the same speed/performance rating or better to make sure the vehicle handles the same as it did from the factory... If you downgrade this rating, the car will not handle the same, and may even be a safety issue...
Old 09-18-08, 04:42 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mitsuguy

As far as performance tires are concerned, you DO need performance tires, as your vehicle requires them... You need to stay with the same speed/performance rating or better to make sure the vehicle handles the same as it did from the factory... If you downgrade this rating, the car will not handle the same, and may even be a safety issue...
Thank you for this comment; I've been researching tires with similar requirements as the OP. In fact I was going to offer up the Bridgestone Turanza Serenity as a tire worth checking out. Since the IS has High Performance Tires and the Serenity is a Grand Touring, I'm thinking now this may not be an acceptable replacement even though the speed rating is the higher Z rating versus the HP V rating?
Old 09-18-08, 05:36 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Something like a z-rated serenity would be just fine (and that's a pretty good handling tire too) - you just have to keep in mind that if you had re050's on there stock, they obviously won't handle quite as good in the dry. just never ever go down in speed rating... (Snow tires being the exception there)
Old 09-18-08, 05:39 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
Something like a z-rated serenity would be just fine (and that's a pretty good handling tire too) - you just have to keep in mind that if you had re050's on there stock, they obviously won't handle quite as good in the dry. just never ever go down in speed rating... (Snow tires being the exception there)
Gotcha! thank you!
Old 09-18-08, 06:17 PM
06-IS250
Pole Position

Hey,

thanks for the comments. It seems like the Bridgestone RE960A/S, and Michelin Pilot Sport A/S are getting the most consensus. I looked into them myself, and they seem like great tires. I'll prrrrrobably go with the michelin, because i just like michelin, but who knows, i'll see what kind of prices I can get.

More comments are welcome.
Old 09-21-08, 04:56 AM
d8vid
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 06-IS250
Hey,

thanks for the comments. It seems like the Bridgestone RE960A/S, and Michelin Pilot Sport A/S are getting the most consensus. I looked into them myself, and they seem like great tires. I'll prrrrrobably go with the michelin, because i just like michelin, but who knows, i'll see what kind of prices I can get.

More comments are welcome.

Just had a set of Michelin PS A/S installed a couple weeks ago...
Huge difference from the OME Potenza...very quiet and much better control, love it!
As for wet road...I'll have to wait for rain...you know..California weather..the wait migh be for awhile...
Old 09-23-08, 12:13 AM
06-IS250
Pole Position

cool,

im gonna be ordering very soon. I think im gonna go with the bridgestones.
Old 09-18-11, 01:38 AM
joey604
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 06-IS250
Hey guys,

I did a little bit of reading, but to be honest, I still dont know what tires I should get.

Im looking to get All season tires (I live in vancouver, lots of rain), so I need something that is best in rain. Snow traction would be awesome too, but its not a priority, i'd rather have better rain traction. Also, I dont need performance tires, I dont speed in the rain.

1. Best traction in rain
2. Quiet and comfort
3. tread life

I am willing to spend the money that is neccessary to get the best tires, so let me know what you guys reccommend. Btw, it is a RWD IS250.

Thanks!
What did you end up getting? I live in Van too and need to replace my tires. Your 3 points are exactly what I'm looking for too. I drive a awd is250.
Old 09-18-11, 06:13 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by joey604
What did you end up getting? I live in Van too and need to replace my tires. Your 3 points are exactly what I'm looking for too. I drive a awd is250.
RE960A/S or the newer RE970A/S

those are the two best all season performance tires you are going to find...

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S is a good tire as well worth looking at...
Old 09-18-11, 08:50 AM
deejay
Driver

I live in seattle and it's time for new tires for my stocks in the winter.

I've narrowed it down to either Dunlop Sport Signatures, or BFG GForce SS A/S.

I'm leaning more towards the BFG's if I can get the price down to at least even to what I can get the Dunlops for.

Reviews on both Discount Tire and Tirerack's websites helped me with my decision.
Old 09-20-11, 06:00 AM
zig@tr
Former Sponsor

I notice a few of the recommendations have been for max performance summer tires, which is fine but please keep in mind even if there is no snow on the ground temperatures below 30 will make these summer tires very hard and plastic feeling which will greatly reduce wet and dry traction. Also if you did see any snow these would not provide any traction whatsoever. The Michelin Pilot Sport A/S+ and Bridgestone Potenza RE970 previously recommend would also be some of my top choices. The Bridgestone Potenza RE960 and Turanza Serenity would also be good choices but keep in mind the RE960 is no longer made in these sizes and the Turanza Serenity is no longer made in your rear size, so any purchase of these in my opinion would have to be a very, very great deal. Because if you ever damaged one of these tires it would be next to impossible to find a single replacement down the road. Given your location and driving needs I would also look at the Yokohama Avid Envigor, this is a 45K (W speed) tire with impeccable dry and wet traction while snow traction is marginal, however it's a great deal less in cost than the Bridgestones and Michelins.

Yokohama Avid Envigor

Bridgestone Potenza RE970 AS

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S+

Last edited by zig@tr; 09-20-11 at 06:12 AM.
Old 09-25-11, 03:30 PM
Initial J
Driver

i work for discount tires, IMO bridgestone is garbage can't tell you how many times i see those tires feather along the edges. i've put on the michelin pilot sport a/s on a lot of cars with no customer complaints also the continental extreme contact DWS. both tires will do the job.

Quick Reply: Tires Recommendation for IS250 A/S