Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Help! What's going on with my iForged wheels (2MB)

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-08, 03:47 PM
rroy
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! What's going on with my iForged wheels (2MB)

My front, driver-side wheel is starting to ripple and when you touch the ripples it pops like a snapple bottle cap. The wheels are iForged Imola 2pc in high polish. I noticed this the other day and it seems to slowly be getting worse. Ive attached some photos--has anyone ever seen this? What's going on?
I bought the wheels May 2007; and spent 3k to avoid stuff like this

Old 08-07-08, 04:43 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my guess is that those are not high polish and they are chromed, the chrome is starting to bubble.

A second possibillity but it doesnt look like it from the photos is that it is clear coat starting to bubble up.
Old 08-07-08, 06:17 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Bulging chrome or cracking paint marks on any wheel acts as a good tell-tale warning indicator of metallurgical over-stress. IOW, there's some flexing going on that is either caused by a weak crystalline structure in the metal (poor chemistry) at that location, or overloading beyond the wheel's ability to withstand it. If it only happening on one wheel, then it is most likely the former and it is defective. You need to get that wheel off ASAP...
Old 08-07-08, 07:02 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

He said it was high polished, from Iforged. Hi polished wheels dont have chrome.

so I figure either 1 it isnt hi polished, the next question is whether or not it really is a genuine Iforged wheel. Did you buy it from a dealer or did you buy it second hand and may have been flim flammmed, it could be a chromed knock off?
Old 08-07-08, 07:21 PM
rroy
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought from a dealer in the boston area... I plan to show them as well.
Old 08-08-08, 06:16 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

To be brutally honest, even if it is a real Iforged wheel, I wouldn't be too surprised to see this... their quality control really kinda sucks, and have seen numerous finish issues with their wheels...

as mentioned before, it appears chrome, and it appears the chrome is separating from the base metal - as mentioned earlier, it could be because the metal is weak and flexing, or, it could just be that the wheel was not cleaned and prepped properly prior to chroming...
Old 08-08-08, 11:01 PM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
To be brutally honest, even if it is a real Iforged wheel, I wouldn't be too surprised to see this... their quality control really kinda sucks, and have seen numerous finish issues with their wheels...

as mentioned before, it appears chrome, and it appears the chrome is separating from the base metal - as mentioned earlier, it could be because the metal is weak and flexing, or, it could just be that the wheel was not cleaned and prepped properly prior to chroming...
I have had not one problem with my IForged rims. Not one.

It does appear that it is chrome coating that is deteriorating. Get that looked at by a wheel shop asap.
Old 08-09-08, 09:27 AM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

It happens... I posted last month about my 20" TrafficStar / MAYA rims that had the chrome flaking off.

Its in the process...sum chrome companies are better than others, is all I can say. Mine failed because of a cleaning solution left on sum cheap chrome....

sucks because the rim has to be taken apart, sand blast remaining chrome and have a REAL triple chrome plated process done to them.

I contacted Maya about my problem, but never heard back. All I wanted to do was BUY new rim barrels or send mine in to be replaced at my expense...

Maybe Iforged will help u out.
Old 08-09-08, 09:49 AM
ChronoJ1
Lexus Champion

Stay away from i-forgery. I've seen so many QC issues... IN PERSON... and it's ridiculous how they survive as a business.
Old 08-17-08, 11:44 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Bad chrome, pure and simple. It can be fixed, but will require chemical stripping and re-chroming. Typically, the chroming will carry a one year warranty.

Also, the assembly bolts look corroded, which is a bit scary.
Old 08-17-08, 11:53 PM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm sure they have some type of warranty against detects like this one..Contact they vendor you got it from or iforged directly..