Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Can RUNFLAT tires fit regular rim

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-08, 06:08 PM
sung35
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Can RUNFLAT tires fit regular rim

Hello to all tire experts,

I recently bought 2 tires from a member here. The deal was for non-RUNFLAT tires, but they are. The brand is Dunlop SP5000M DSST 245/40/18. Even though I don't like RUNFLAT due to its noice, however, I am wondering if whether RUNFLAT tire can fit on regular rim (not RUNFLAT rim). Is there going to be any mishaps if using RUNFLAT on regular rim. For safety reason, should I have them install them at all?

Many thanks for your response.

Here are the pics

Old 05-15-08, 08:36 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

a runflat, kept in good wear, will not be any louder than most other tires out there... they will, however, ride a little stiffer... noise is directly related to how badly they wear for the most part...

simply put, yes, they can be used on a normal wheel, no problems at all...

however... the problem is, if you do get a flat, you may not know it, causing you to keep driving on an underinflated tire, even past the 50 mile limit, and still not know it... this can result in a more dramatic failure that might be more damaging in the long run...
Old 05-16-08, 03:24 AM
sung35
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks MitsuGuy. Would the color gauge that fits on to the tire stem valve work? Or do I need to buy the one that goes inside the wheel?
Old 05-16-08, 06:16 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by sung35
Thanks MitsuGuy. Would the color gauge that fits on to the tire stem valve work? Or do I need to buy the one that goes inside the wheel?
those color gauges work ok, when they are new... but, being in the tire business, I see them all the time that are stuck saying they have good pressure, while in fact the tire is flat as can be... I have also seen them fail, causing immediate air pressure loss, so I could never recommend them... it does seem like a long way to go, but the in-tire monitors would be the best...

here's a better question - or suggestion... why don't you resell those and buy non-runflats... the non-runflats are significantly cheaper...
Old 05-18-08, 03:02 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

usually with runflat tires there is a TPS (Tire pressure senor) that keeps the driver informed of the condition of the tires without having to get out and measure them. Some companies require that a TPS system be used in conjunction with runflat tires so as not to cause dramatic tire failures. Im not sure that dunlop requires this but i know that Goodyear run-flat tires require a TPS system to be in place in order to properly show the driver if the tire has gone bad.

I just found that Tire Rack does sell aftermarket systems for cars that don't originally have the system installed.

Last edited by StiCk3; 05-18-08 at 03:06 PM.