Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

18x7 wheels w/ 38 offset on an ES300?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-02, 01:37 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default 18x7 wheels w/ 38 offset on an ES300?

I've seen between 40 and 45 offset recommended for the ES, I've found a wheel I might be interested in but the offset is 38. Would this cause any rubbing or appearance problems (I don't want them sticking out too far, but yet not in too far; you know) with the proper tire size and about a 1.6 or 1.75" drop? The tire size recommended to keep the speedometer and odometer accurate was 225/40/18.

Here's the wheel I was looking at if anyone has knowledge or opinions on them. They are Enkei RS6's. I've been looking for a quality, affordable 5 spoke, and this is the closest I've come to what I'm looking for. My priority is more on appearance than performance, and I'm on a tight budget (these are actually below my budget which would be real nice) but trying to avoid "cheap, knockoff kinda stuff" that will be poor quality.

I'd appreciate any opinions on these or how they'd look on a dark green and grey '92 ES300.
Old 02-10-02, 03:46 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Kyle, I'm glad to see that you're doing the "right" thing by going with a quality manufacturer. A +38 will most likely cause rubbing, especially if you plan on lowering it. The tire size recomendation is right on but a 7.5" or 8" wheel would better for a 225....with a 7", you should be using a 215 (which is too small for the ES IMO)

Now as for the DESIGN of the wheel, IMO, I think it looks to "racer boy" for a ES. It's such a tyipcal "civic-ish" wheel...anyways, it's also a 6-spoke, not a 5-spoke

Try going to www.tirerack.com and look up Mille Miglia Evo5. It's a little bit more money but I think it's a better looking wheel (same quality)...and I dunno if you like the look of dish wheel but the 1-piece OZ Opera looks nice a ES...(but it's $351/wheel). Another wheel to look at is the SSR Integral...only $289/each and it's a nice simple 5-spoke design. The SSR GT1 is another nice wheel, a bit more costly at $349/each...

Check those out before you decide...
Old 02-10-02, 09:53 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Thanks, I was hoping I'd get the expert opinion. I agree, they are a little "racer" for an ES, but I'm kinda searching for the right look for the car and good opinions are appreciated. I know they're 6 spoke, but a good 6 spoke would be OK; I just don't care for the 9 or 10 spokes, the spokes seem too thin IMO.

Would a 40 offset be OK? I believe I've seen them with that offset with no problems, but I'd really like to avoid any nasty surprises.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll check them out. I might have to go down to 17's with some of those prices, but we'll have to see how things work out. I like the Evo5's, those would definitely be an option. I think I like those better than the SSR's. I'm gonna have to look back, I think I've seen pics of an ES with the Opera or something similar that looked good, but I think I prefer the spoke to that style or mesh.

Do you think silver wheels would look good with the dark green-grey car? I like a good chrome rim (not too bling-bling) and especially like the Diamond Cut finish but I'm guessing that's only found on more expensive wheels; but the chrome makes things more expensive and silver might be a little classier if it works with the car. The stock silver wheels seem to go OK with it, but if you can't tell I'm kinda picky and don't totally trust my own taste and opinions, so other opinions are nice.

Manaray, thanks for sharing your wisdom, and any more would be appreciated.
Old 02-10-02, 11:34 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Personally, I think if you put chrome rims on that car, it'll look like you're trying "too hard" to make the car look "pimp". I think Silver or Brushed/Diamond would be much classier...(but hey, it's your car, if you really love chrome, by all means, get 'em...but you can save some cash by avoiding 'em)

I would still go with 18's even if you have to wait a little longer to get it (to save up). +40 to +45 should be fine...

Between the Evo5's and the Operas...hmmm, they give the car different looks. I like the way that body style ES looks with either wheel.

No problem with the help...feel free to ask any more questions...

Oh yeah, RH Evolution also make a couple of wheels that you might like...check out www.dazzmotorsports.com...
Old 02-11-02, 10:11 AM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Thanks, I probably will do the silver over chrome, more class and alot less money. The audio system is the main focus of my funds; so I've got a little more of a budget on wheels.

From what I've read on the ES forum, it sounds like 18x8's with 225/40/18's and a +40 offset would fit right with the drop I'm planning. Hopefully that'll all work out.

One more thing, any suggestions on quality tires at a reasonable price? I'm not looking for ultra high performance; but would like something that will grip and handle well on wet and dry pavement, without being noisy.

Thanks alot for all your help.

Last edited by Kyle Harty; 02-11-02 at 06:26 PM.
Old 02-12-02, 02:25 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Tires are somewhat personal...some people like particular brands, other's don't. personally, I would avoid Pirelli's. They're expensive, they're only good for the first few thousand miles then they loose their grip and they don't last for shiat.

For VERY inexpensive tires with decent performance, try the Kumho's (again, www.tirerack.com)...I don't really pay attention to "noise" from the tires because I usually have the music on...
Old 02-12-02, 09:58 AM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Thanks, I've seen the Kumho's mentioned before; I'll check them out. If the tires are real noisy, they detract from the music, I don't always listen to it that loud.