Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Lowenhart LD1 rips...

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-02, 02:53 AM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lowenhart LD1 rips...

Hey, I don't feel like throwing out $3700 for 18-inch rims, so I found these Lowenhart rip-offs made by Diablo called Viennas. Does anyone have experience with these? They are only $325ea in chrome---as opposed to $905ea for the LD1s. They look close enough and for $2400 less, I can live without the name badge on the center cap and the possible extra weight.
Attached Thumbnails Lowenhart LD1 rips...-vt453.jpg  
Old 02-08-02, 03:20 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Those are WEAK...don't buy those...you drive a Lexus...not a Civic...hell, you could have saved more money by buying a Yugo instead...

Besides, those aren't even real 3-piece wheels...they're 1-piece wheels made to look like 3-piece wheels...talk about faking the funk...

Looks like Diablo couldn't afford a real Diablo either...that photo looks like it was Photochopped...sad...just sad...
Old 02-08-02, 05:15 AM
zushwa
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ask 1SICKLEX about his experience with Diablo.
Old 02-08-02, 08:13 AM
hleo1
Pole Position

I think it comes down to your personal choice...

I'm certain that the Viennas won't have as good of a quality as the LD1s. The LD1s have a very nice finish, and you can easily tell of the high quality workmanship. That's also why the cost is higher.

On the other hand, if you feel like saving a lot of money, I'd just recommend the Viennas. Or, another company, Katana, makes a knockout of the LD1s too... called "Spazio". They are cheaper too, then again, the finish quality is different. If you can shed the extra money, I'd say go for the LD1s... My 2 cents...
Old 02-08-02, 09:20 AM
mcgong
Lexus Test Driver

I say just save your money and get some nice rims. You will appreciate it so much more in the end. In the beginning I was thinking about getting generic rims, but then when you think about it, you drive a lexus, a luxury class car, why would you want to lower it's class and put on some cheap rims. Just my opinion.
Old 02-08-02, 10:13 AM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

i would try to save some more $$$ and get the real LD1s...

actually you can get the REAL LD1s in 18x8.5+9.5, diamond polish finish for ~$3000-3100 WITH excellent tyres....let em know.

william
Old 02-08-02, 10:20 AM
1BomexLex
Lead Lap

yea..its up to you on how much money you really want to spend
i say they look really close
but there are alotta companies that make rip off rims like that that could be a little more respectalbe than diablo.ive never heard of them
check out katana and other sites....they come close to making them if you dont want to dish out the moendy for the real deal....and in all honesty...i dont blame you
Old 02-08-02, 06:55 PM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

I think you should listen to the club guys here. Just save $$$ a little longer and get the real ones. Believe me, you will feel better about yourself, plus every time you hit a pot hole, you won't have to worry weather you bent the wheel or not.
Old 02-08-02, 07:20 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Okay then it's unanimous, ixnay on the Diablos. Though it'll take me forever to save up for LD1s with my current disposable income. Oh well. BTW, what do you guys think of Zenetti Vegas? I mean I'm not trying to hold them up to Lowenhart-quality, but are they somewhat decent, mid-level, good trade-off rims? My friend has 20-inch Zenetti Mystiks on his GS400 and they look nice, but what do you guys think?
Attached Images  

Last edited by lex400sc; 02-08-02 at 07:42 PM.
Old 02-08-02, 07:39 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i've seen the zenetti 20s on a GS300... they are very nice and looked to be good quality
Old 02-10-02, 07:06 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

looks can be deceiving...chrome and paint can hide many things...

If you don't have the disposable income to buy nice wheels, maybe you shouldn't be buying wheels? What's wrong with your stock ones? A stock car looks better than a ghetto half-ássed car...

Also, why not just get a wheel that is NOT a fake cheezy version of a expensive wheel? For example, instead of buying those cheezeball Diablo, why not get a set of SSR GT1's for $399/each (in silver) or some Mille Miglia Emotion SSL for $259/each (in silver)...also, forget about chrome, it'll just cost more money, something you're trying to save remember...and the low end chrome jobs will just flake (ask 1SickLex about that).

As a matter of fact, in 18", there are many affordable JDM wheels made by very respectable companies...Weds, Rays/Volks, etc....

Also, don't be so quick to pull the trigger...do some research first before you dump money you don't really have into something that STRICTLY a luxury item, NOT a necessity....it's not going to kill you wait a few months to buy wheels...
Old 02-10-02, 02:25 PM
FutureGSorIS
Lead Lap

Originally posted by manaray
A stock car looks better than a ghetto half-ássed car...
Well said by mana, anyways I dont agree with buying knock-offs either but its your car so you can do whatever so here are more knock off ld-1s to look into:
Katana Spazio or ACE c006 lux, there is more but i dont remeber then off the top of my head
Old 02-13-02, 11:22 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Are Zenetti wheels one-piece? What are the disadvantages of one-piece wheels (besides being more expensive to replace a damaged wheel). Does anyone know the chrome quality of Zenettis? I've seen them new and the chrome looks good, but what about fading/peeling? I appreciate you all saving me the mistake of the Diablos, BTW. My other alternative is the Auto Conture Indicators, problem is I don't think they make them in 18s. Thanks again.

Also thinking about the L-Sportline 2s, but I don't know if they come in 18s either? They fit the GS fine, so I assume they'll fit an SC? The more I look at them, the more I want them.:eek:
Attached Thumbnails Lowenhart LD1 rips...-zenettivega.jpg  

Last edited by lex400sc; 02-14-02 at 12:02 AM.
Old 02-14-02, 03:10 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

The other disadvantage is that you can't change the setup of the wheel...for example, if I ever widebody my car (opps, did that slip out? J/K), I can just send my wheels to HRE and they can make them wider...

1-piece wheels aren't bad otherwise. But I would only do a high quality 1-piece wheel. Preferably forged of course.

I've never tried to chip the chrome on the Zenetti's but they might use decent quality chrome (since they save so much by doing a hot-cast wheel)...however, the fake 3-piece/1-piece thing is pretty wacked....why couldn't they just make it a 1-piece wheel with a lip? All they'd have to do is remove the "bolt ridge"...

Anyways, the Lsportline (Model 2 = 20", Model 3=18" only...)would be a better pick...remember, there are THOUSANDS of wheels, don't rush your wheel selection. It's the single biggest factor in terms of your car's aesthetics...

Check out www.wheelexperts.com