Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Is it just me or...

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-02, 10:45 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Is it just me or...

do some other people think that they are cheapasses when they come over to this part of the board? I don't even check out this forum any more?!
Old 01-30-02, 11:08 PM
howiedoit
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

mmm...like this is the forum for high rollers?
Old 01-30-02, 11:59 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Come on guys, I hate to sound like a "elitist" but if you're rolling a $30,000-$70,000 car (which is where the price range for Lexus cars), you shouldn't be balking at $2500+ wheels...

Don't live beyond your means. If hooking up a Lexus is beyond your means, then fix up a Civic...
Old 01-31-02, 07:01 AM
zushwa
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think that at all!! I'm probably one of the poorest people here (enlisted in the military w/ wife and spoiled daughter should say enough!!). I know there are plenty of younger people here (college students and the like) that can't afford wheels or mod's of other types but as manaray said, don't live beyond your means. When I first came to CL I thought $2500 for wheels and tires was insane but as I learned more about quality and craftsmanship I decided to save and get something respectable. Not something that would impress the 16 year old girls, something that I would be happy owning. I still don't want to blow the wad on wheels and tires but I will own quality wheels for a good price, say maybe, $3300. Be patient, save, and find something you will truly be happy with. If you can be happy owning wheels some others might not approve of then fine, it's your car and your money. Some people just don't get it. (where have I heard that before??)
Old 01-31-02, 08:28 AM
gsnav
Lead Lap

If you get a set of new wheels, i think for a lexus it should be at least $3000 including tires, cause $2000 for rims is nothing if you are talking about 18s and 19s.
Old 01-31-02, 09:27 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Re: Is it just me or...

Originally posted by retrodrive
do some other people think that they are cheapasses when they come over to this part of the board? I don't even check out this forum any more?!
Yeah, but just think of the money you'd have for rims if you hadn't been bitten by the stereo bug. I know I could get some real nice wheels with the money I've spent, and I'm debating right now on a second 1000D and the bigger electrical system it'll need or putting that money towards rims.
Old 01-31-02, 11:29 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Zushwa -

GSNav - I was talking $2500 for JUST wheels...

It's funny how all these people who complain about not being able to afford this or that rolling around in a LEXUS. Then they want 20's and a 2JZ-GTE transplant on top of that....and they ask questions like "what's the cheapest 20's"?

I mean if you can barely afford the car and are trying to fix it up, why not buy a car you CAN afford and fix that up instead? Why do people have to try so hard to be a "baller" when they're not? There is NOTHING wrong with not being a "baller" (I defintely don't consider myself as being one)...

You know, I could have bought a more expensive car that I have now but then I'd be stretching my finances too thin. I bought what I could COMFORTABLY afford (plus it's a car I've always wanted) and one that I could AFFORD to fix up. Why is this such a difficult concept for people to get ahold of?

Why even fix up a car unless you're going to be proud of it? I dunno know about others, but I can't feel comfortably walking around in an real $3000 Armani suit with a $10 "F"olex on my wrist from some street vendor in Downtown LA and "sm"ucci glasses for $5 from Venice Beach and a pair of $10 K-Mart Blue Light Special shoes...if you're gonna do it, do it right.

Kyle - Yes, exactly....

Retrodrive, why not just use Jensen speaks for $5 a pop with some used 1989 Optima amps and make a speakerbox out old cardboard from a refridgerator box or something (it's cheaper than particle board or plexiglass!)...and why use Dynamat? Just get some old pillows!
Old 02-01-02, 05:40 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with the other fiscal responsibility comments and philosophies posted above.

ret: not picking on you really, but since you brought this up, I'll use your statements.

First, don't let others be the barometer for deciding how to feel about your car. We all have different interpretations of doing it right.

For the most part, I'd say most of us know what right really is - quality parts, quality installs, clean, etc.....

The more finite details of what you choose as quality and how you balance that with your budget, is your business.

You can't feel like a cheapass just because someone has something nicer, or faster, or shinier, etc. See? We've discussed before that there will always be someone out there with a bigger this, faster that, louder this, phatter that, etc.

You do your mods the best way you think, because ultimately, you are the one driving the car and paying for it.

If you put something on your car, and you love it - cool.

CL is simply an avenue to research what is quality, and what is not, and get opinions and feedback to guide you along the way.

Hmm, guess I better mention something about wheels in this post Ummmm, what gsnav said.
Old 02-01-02, 05:04 PM
EmoDragRacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I got to totally agree with MANARAY on this..although some ppl may feel intimidated and look at some of us as snobby for payin up too and over 5k for wheels without tires, you have a car that again as manaray stated goes from 30k-70k and it deserves something better then konigs on it.

I understand that it is alot for wheels but the look and quality of a good wheel is worth the money.
I spent alot of money for my Work wheels and I am happy with them and like them alot (once I take the stickers off the outside that someone put in the wrong place) but I would never think about buying anything less quality than that.

save your money and get a good set of wheels and tires, or buy a used set from someone.. you will be happier in the end..
Old 02-01-02, 05:07 PM
EmoDragRacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

oh I am def. not a baller I am way too short.... 5'5 no baller here...
Old 02-06-02, 12:50 AM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Well, I shouldn't say that really. Just different interests I guess. Most of you won't see why is it worse to put over 8g's ina sound system alone.
Old 02-06-02, 05:47 PM
garnet92
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Wheels

Just have to add my .49 worth.

Manny, you are a wheels elitist (and a firearm elitist as well from the look of some of your hardware.) That isn’t a knock, you just won’t be satisfied with less than very high quality – that’s cool. But, I don’t see anything wrong with young guys without a lot of cash buying a lesser wheel as an interim solution until they can afford 4-5K for wheels and tires. All of my younger life I bought what I could afford and upgraded constantly. Personally, I wouldn’t buy crappy wheels, but I’ll no doubt be satisfied with a lesser wheel than you would. Different strokes for different folks, you know.

Agree with Dexter – if you like it, that’s cool – no one else has to agree. Over time you can upgrade your quality – just don’t buy real crap, that you will regret.
Old 02-07-02, 04:01 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Garnet - Hey, definitely no offense taken (you know I respect your opinion) but here's my take...if you have something that already works (stock wheels), you'll only be wasting your money by doing an "interim" solution. As it's not a NECESSITY to have anything other than stock wheels. ESPECIALLY when a lot of people are buying USED Lexus cars. While well built, if they're in a position where they can barely afford decent wheels, maybe they shouldn't be buying wheels. Putting money into the car to keep it running right should be more important.

Wheels are a LUXURY....just like Lexus cars. LUXURY is for people who can afford it. Plain and simple...but I guess living beyond your means is the American way!

Trust me, I know what it's like NOT to have money. I haven't had money for 98% of my life. But you know what, even when I couldn't afford a pair Nike shoes, I never bought fake "Air Jordans". I just bought K-Swiss (which used to be pretty inexpensive) or I bought the less expensive Nikes (The Cortez..$20/pair) or whatever was on sale (last season's shoes).

Dunno, I just think the whole "wannabe" thing is lame and cheezy. People that buy *****ty 20" wheels in chrome just to give that "Playa" look when they're about as much of playa as MC Hammer ...

I mean how about those ricers that buy these *****ty knock off kits for like $400 for their Civics and don't even have enough money to paint it but they're SO DESPERATE to have a kit on their car they install it anyways...UNPAINTED (and it never fits right!)

...buying cheap, fake wheels is just as ricer...It says "Look at me! I AM SO DESPERATE to have bigger wheels on my car, I just bought these POS wheels cuz I only make $6.00/hr and I can barely afford the payments on the car! But LOOK AT ME! I'm a BALLER because I have wheels!!!"

Also, it's not so much the "look" of the wheel (for example, I think Lexanis are ugly as hell, but some people like them)...that's a personally decision...but a fake 3-piece "looking" wheel? That's just tacky.

Now if you broke your stock wheels and don't have money to buy some quality wheels that "fit" the car, then buying an interim solution would be better than buying some stock wheels...hell, even I would do that....but I wouldn't buy a knock-off design.

Oh yeah, you can buy some quality wheels for $2500 or so...not all good wheels are $4K and up... Hell, some AVS Model 5's (the real ones...and a wheel that I think is of EXCELLENT quality and an awesome design) are about $2400/set in 19".

Now finding a good deal on a some quality items is ALWAYS a good idea...

As for firearms, the way I look at it, if I'm putting my life on the line, I'm not going to arm myself with some sub-standard POS...my life also rides on my wheels...know what I mean?
Old 02-07-02, 06:27 PM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

A-MEN Manaray! With you 100% on this one. Here's a story that I encountered when I got my wheels last week. When my car was getting the springs and wheels put on i saw a '02 Lincoln LS getting what looked to be like 20 inch Lowenhart LD-1's put on. I was like "whoa" so i walk over to the car and check out the wheels. To my suprise, the center cap on the wheel said "Diablo" or something like that. I talked to the owner and he said he paid $2800 for wheels and tires. What's my point? Why settle for less when you can save a little longer to get what you really want. Not a cheap knock off. After all, we drive a Lexus. It deserves the best. Just my thoughts.
By the way, seeing those fake LD-1's made me sick. Sure glad I didn't buy the real LD-1's. Just too many knock off's on the market
Attached Thumbnails Is it just me or...-ken-s-car-039.jpg  
Old 02-07-02, 07:35 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow...:eek: $2800 for LD1's long lost twin, "LD?" is not exactly bargain price either....

Quick Reply: Is it just me or...