Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?
View Poll Results: Would you Buy?
Yes. Will consider
40.00%
No. Will go with other brand
60.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Continental ContiExtreme Contact

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-08, 04:32 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Continental ContiExtreme Contact

mod: please move to appropriate forum. Thanks!

Any members used it before? Comments?

Treadwear 400
Traction A
Temperature A
Speed Rating ZR

Price (installed)
$138 Front
$190 Rear
Attached Thumbnails Continental ContiExtreme Contact-cont.jpg  

Last edited by kickin8; 01-24-08 at 04:37 PM.
Old 01-24-08, 04:54 PM
Shoyuu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bump because I'm interested as well.

Noise from the tires would be something I'm particularly interested in.
Old 01-24-08, 05:00 PM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

sports are better, but if you want an A/S.....its probably not a bad choice. Conti's go OEM on a bunch of high-end bahn-burners, so I wouldn't worry about the brand itself.
Old 01-24-08, 05:44 PM
MoLexus
Lexus Test Driver

I have had two sets of Continentals in the past on two different cars. Not to fond of them to be honest, one because of the thread wear, two road noise, and three thread design. IMO BFGoodrich is the best for tire for the money and of course Michelin is hands down the best tires if you have the money.
Old 01-24-08, 05:45 PM
intrinsic
Pole Position

my first choice for a/s were perelli pZeros but they cost too much so i just decided to go with the continentals about 2 months ago from americas tire. they matched tirerack for 95 with free install (but mine are only 225/45.17).....

As for quality they are great tires esp with a high speed and tread rating. They are german made so i would think they are really good, especially if some euro companies use them as OEM (Mercedes, BMW, VW). Traction is great for all weather, especially when i go up to lake tahoe for snow. And when its dry they stick to the ground with no problem. I personally think when i pushed it they stuck better than the OEM Bridgestones. Very minimal road noise when comparing to the stock bridgestones also. no doubt i will buy these again. and the tread pattern is kinda cool
Old 01-24-08, 07:29 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by intrinsic
my first choice for a/s were perelli pZeros but they cost too much so i just decided to go with the continentals about 2 months ago from americas tire. they matched tirerack for 95 with free install (but mine are only 225/45.17).....

As for quality they are great tires esp with a high speed and tread rating. They are german made so i would think they are really good, especially if some euro companies use them as OEM (Mercedes, BMW, VW). Traction is great for all weather, especially when i go up to lake tahoe for snow. And when its dry they stick to the ground with no problem. I personally think when i pushed it they stuck better than the OEM Bridgestones. Very minimal road noise when comparing to the stock bridgestones also. no doubt i will buy these again. and the tread pattern is kinda cool
Just because it's OEM somewhere doesn't mean its good... Secondly, the Extreme Contact A/S is a horrid tire... I had more complaints about road noise and quality of it than almost any other tire... We called it the low-pro all-terrain...

It is a decent tire for snow and true all season usage, but there are much better options...
Old 01-25-08, 12:36 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

thanks guys!
Old 01-25-08, 02:21 AM
intrinsic
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
Just because it's OEM somewhere doesn't mean its good... Secondly, the Extreme Contact A/S is a horrid tire... I had more complaints about road noise and quality of it than almost any other tire... We called it the low-pro all-terrain...

It is a decent tire for snow and true all season usage, but there are much better options...

jeez, sorry if i hurt your feelings but they are good enough for me . and i didnt really say for sure they were good tires because of OEM equipment, its just a guess since they use it. I went for them because they had one of the best reviews for economy pricing and high performance all season from tire rack. $600+ for some rubber that i would replace after a couple years isn't really worth it for me for everyday driving.... but to one his own
Old 01-25-08, 06:10 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

jeez, sorry if i hurt your feelings but they are good enough for me . and i didnt really say for sure they were good tires because of OEM equipment, its just a guess since they use it. I went for them because they had one of the best reviews for economy pricing and high performance all season from tire rack. $600+ for some rubber that i would replace after a couple years isn't really worth it for me for everyday driving.... but to one his own
No feelings hurt, I just wanted to make sure that wasn't given to you as a reason to buy these tires...

it's like saying "michelin makes them, they must be great" while nothing by michelin I would consider horrible, there is a huge difference between what they spec as OE and some of the lesser expensive stuff they sell...
Old 01-25-08, 08:03 AM
Brandon@TR
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As far as I know the Extreme Contact are not OE on anything. You really have to look at tires individually in my opinion. I think that's what Mitsuguy is saying basically. I know many customers for whom the Extreme Contact is the perfect choice for their individual needs. They do have good snow traction probably the best for an all season performance tire.
Old 01-25-08, 02:50 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

The price and treadwear is very attractive compare with others....

But I am a little bit concrened about the road noise as I drive mostly freeways.......
Old 01-26-08, 06:08 AM
Shep34205
Driver School Candidate

Brandon is right.. the extreme contact was never O.E. on any vehicle. There are many other Continental models that were and are O.E. on European vehicles.

Personally, I dont see it being the right choice for someone living in S.F.
Old 01-26-08, 10:19 AM
Shoyuu
Lexus Test Driver

I know this is your thread kickin8, but I just wanted to thank everyone for their input. I can skip these tires, because of the feedback here.
Old 01-26-08, 06:09 PM
intrinsic
Pole Position

i never said that the Extremes were OEM. Was referring to Continental as a brand being OEM tire manufacture for auto companies....... anyways ...... good tires for me
Old 01-27-08, 07:43 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

i never said that the Extremes were OEM. Was referring to Continental as a brand being OEM tire manufacture for auto companies....... anyways ...... good tires for me
Michelin
Bfgoodrich
Uniroyal
Firestone
Bridgestone
Continental
General
Hankook
Kumho
Pirelli
Yokohama
Goodyear