Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Wheel Locks

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-07, 06:10 AM
KayGee
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Wheel Locks

Are they more trouble than they are worth? Someone in my office was attempting to change a flat in the parking lot yesterday on his Dad's Suburban. He couldn't find the key for the wheel lock and ended up paying $100 to have it towed. I have always been of the opinion that wheel locks aren't worth the trouble especially on factory wheels. I think that carjacking is so widespread that if someone wants your wheels then they would just pull a gun on you and take the whole car. When was the last time that you saw a car sitting on blocks because somebody stole the wheels? What do you think?
Old 12-19-07, 08:45 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

i don't know about georgia, but it's still not too uncommon to see people stealing wheels and put cars on block (or just floor for that matter). bottom line is if they want to steal it, they will one way or the other, no doubt. a lock will drive some thieves away, when they have comparison to another without. simple as that. it's a way to prolong the time needed, not eliminate the possibility

and not able to find the lock, that's your friend's problem, seriously. can't blame the lock
Old 12-19-07, 09:26 AM
Rollin'ES3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
i don't know about georgia, but it's still not too uncommon to see people stealing wheels and put cars on block (or just floor for that matter). bottom line is if they want to steal it, they will one way or the other, no doubt. a lock will drive some thieves away, when they have comparison to another without. simple as that. it's a way to prolong the time needed, not eliminate the possibility

and not able to find the lock, that's your friend's problem, seriously. can't blame the lock
I agree, all a lock can do is give the thief more trouble. Now unless the thief is a 16 yr old kid, then consider the wheels gone if they really want them.

And for your friend not having the lock, what can you do it happens sometimes we're all human.
Old 12-19-07, 10:40 AM
KayGee
Instructor

Ok, I hear what you guys are saying. But what about factory rims? Who steals them? I stand by my decision to remove all wheel locks. I don't think that I have ever had any rims worth stealing anyway plus the fact that I don't have to park on the street at night makes them more trouble than they are worth to me.
Old 12-19-07, 11:11 AM
4ntvings
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

i thought all lexus' come standard with wheel locks.
like all have said, they are a decent deterrence. i always get them for piece of mind.
Old 12-19-07, 11:26 AM
KayGee
Instructor

Originally Posted by 4ntvings
like all have said, they are a decent deterrence. i always get them for piece of mind.
They do. I had mine removed at the 1,000 mile service. I guess that I'm the only one. Didn't think there was much market for factory wheels.
Old 12-19-07, 11:32 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah it's just a scam to get more money. nobody steals factory wheels. who wants them? there's no market to speak of.
Old 12-19-07, 11:43 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by 4ntvings
comes in that acccessory package with cargo net, trunk mat etc for the IS at least
Old 12-19-07, 01:27 PM
BmoreGS4
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 19psi
yeah it's just a scam to get more money. nobody steals factory wheels. who wants them? there's no market to speak of.
I have 2 disagree, my factory 17's on my '98 were stolen and my car sat on blocks...I didn't have wheel locks but i really do believe if i did it would have been enough deterrent to stop them... It was late winter/early spring when the pot holes start showing up and 1 night 6 cars in my complex were left on blocks all luxury vehicles, there weren't any thefts of rims prior to this, I believe they took them because a market was created because all the potholes were causing alot of bent rims in the area...
Old 12-19-07, 01:33 PM
KayGee
Instructor

Originally Posted by BmoreGS4
I have 2 disagree, my factory 17's on my '98 were stolen and my car sat on blocks...I didn't have wheel locks but i really do believe if i did it would have been enough deterrent to stop them... It was late winter/early spring when the pot holes start showing up and 1 night 6 cars in my complex were left on blocks all luxury vehicles, there weren't any thefts of rims prior to this, I believe they took them because a market was created because all the potholes were causing alot of bent rims in the area...
I guess it does happen. I don't park outside at night so I won't be running out to put them back on.
Old 12-19-07, 01:40 PM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i supposed if the market were to present itself, there would be demand. it's definitely not a bad idea to have them! i never really make an effort to prevent theft though, but i live out in the woods and work in a nice suburb with a gated parking lot.
Old 12-19-07, 02:18 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

my friend's corolla with stock 15s almost got his wheels stolen overnight (without locks)

never say never
Old 12-19-07, 03:27 PM
KayGee
Instructor

Originally Posted by rominl
my friend's corolla with stock 15s almost got his wheels stolen overnight (without locks)

never say never

WOW I guess that it is more common than I thought. Now I'm thinking that we should never underestimate what a crackhead would do for a buck.
Old 12-19-07, 07:24 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by KayGee
Ok, I hear what you guys are saying. But what about factory rims? Who steals them? I stand by my decision to remove all wheel locks. I don't think that I have ever had any rims worth stealing anyway plus the fact that I don't have to park on the street at night makes them more trouble than they are worth to me.
You'll be surprised, but people will steal about anything they can. OEM Wheels to us may seem like regular issue, but if you get them priced individually plus the tires, they aren't cheap.
Old 12-21-07, 03:09 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I personally have never had anyone attempt to steal my rims so I don't really bother. If I got them for free, I'd use them. I wouldn't buy wheel locks though. All my aftermarket rims I have never used wheel locks. I use McGard splene drives though. Only used wheel locks on my stock rims since they came with them. I've lost the key once before and I simply used my 16 point socket and took them off myself without any key. Ever since then I decided it wasn't worth buying, but if I had them I'd use them. I later bought a used Lexus with wheel locks and no key. Simply took them off the same way I did before and replaced them with regular lugs. They will deter the novice thief that doesn't know any better, but those that steal often will have no trouble removing them to take your rims. Took my only about an extra 30 seconds or so to remove the wheel lock without a key. One thing to note, all my rims are always torqued down to factory specs. I couldn't remove the locks once when the service department majorly over torqued the lugs. This was over 100 ft lbs though.

Quick Reply: Wheel Locks