Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

farked up wheel

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-02, 12:32 AM
hellasboy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy farked up wheel

Gawd... I HATE snow! I was exiting my friends apartment building and lost traction (no, i wasn't trying to do anything besides leave the place). I turned the wheel hoping to get away from a curb up ahead... no luck... GUNK - errr. ****. I should have turned into the curb and just deal with a little scraping of the underguard. I just looked at the damage and it's about a 5-6 inch scrape on the outside edge of the rim. 2-3 inches is pretty severe (IMO). I'll post a pic later... kind of pissed

Oh, anyways, the rim damaged is a 3-piece (I'm sooo glad I didn't buy a 1 piece!), 18x8.5". What repair options can I get done, typical costs and where can I go? Thank yas.

Nick
Old 01-24-02, 07:20 AM
Wheel Experts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

where are you located?
Old 01-24-02, 07:59 AM
fever
Lead Lap

Default Re: farked up wheel

Sorry about your scratch. That sucks. But what difference does it make repairing a three piece versus one piece? It will still cost you about a hundred bucks to repair.

Originally posted by hellasboy
Gawd... I HATE snow! I was exiting my friends apartment building and lost traction (no, i wasn't trying to do anything besides leave the place). I turned the wheel hoping to get away from a curb up ahead... no luck... GUNK - errr. ****. I should have turned into the curb and just deal with a little scraping of the underguard. I just looked at the damage and it's about a 5-6 inch scrape on the outside edge of the rim. 2-3 inches is pretty severe (IMO). I'll post a pic later... kind of pissed

Oh, anyways, the rim damaged is a 3-piece (I'm sooo glad I didn't buy a 1 piece!), 18x8.5". What repair options can I get done, typical costs and where can I go? Thank yas.

Nick
Old 01-24-02, 12:06 PM
hellasboy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in Colorado.

I took a look at it today after classes... phew, not as bad as i originally thought (it's always worse right after it happens!). It doesn't look like much metal was lost (these are some strong wheels!), the sharpness of the lines are gone in a couple spots, it has a rough feeling for (get ready) a 1/4 of the rim, more than the 5-6 inches i originally thought. It doesn't look like I'll have to replace that piece, just repair.

From what I understand, if you mess up your wheel pretty bad, lets say a chunk of metal missing on the lip or a huge dent on the lip or center design where repair isn't an option; you can simply replace the piece with a multi-piece wheel where-as with a 1 piece wheel you would have to buy an entire new wheel. besides, those are real rivets
Old 01-24-02, 02:59 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

fever - the advantage is that you don't have to buy a whole new wheel. $100 is nothing. If you're paying $100 for a 1-piece wheel, it's probably a POS wheel....imagine if you had a $600 1-piece forged TE37 and you wrecked the lip...that's now a $600 replacement, not a $100 repair...

Hellasboy - Damn, that sucks! Sorry to hear that! Here, try calling AKT - 310-523-3922 - They are an Altstadt importer. They can probably help you out.
Old 01-24-02, 03:26 PM
fever
Lead Lap

No, my point was curb rash is curb rash whether it's a one or three piece. And that costs about a hundred bucks to repair. Now, outright wrecking your rim, okay that's different.

Originally posted by manaray
fever - the advantage is that you don't have to buy a whole new wheel. $100 is nothing. If you're paying $100 for a 1-piece wheel, it's probably a POS wheel....imagine if you had a $600 1-piece forged TE37 and you wrecked the lip...that's now a $600 replacement, not a $100 repair...

Hellasboy - Damn, that sucks! Sorry to hear that! Here, try calling AKT - 310-523-3922 - They are an Altstadt importer. They can probably help you out.
Old 01-25-02, 03:38 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Fever - Ah, yes...in terms of just fixin' it, that's correct...

Speaking of curb rash, I got some a while back on my wheel...I haven't even bothered getting it fixed yet as I'm waiting to get another set of HRE's now before I send these back to HRE so they can completely redo 'em (new lips, stress test, refinish, basically a full rebuild to new status) before I sell 'em...
Old 01-25-02, 08:00 AM
zushwa
Lead Lap

WHAT!?!?!?!?!

SELL THEM!?!?!?!

UH HUM!!!!!!

Old 01-28-02, 01:24 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah...hehehe...I'm getting a couple sets of new 540"R" series (reverse lip) wheels from HRE....so I'm going to have HRE completely re-do my existing set to new condition (complete break down, stress testing, new lips, and refinished) and sell them...someone will be getting a smoking deal on these...