Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Tires, revisited

Old 11-26-07, 12:23 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Tires, revisited

Sorry guys, this topic has been revisited so many time. But, I still can't find a definitive answer and hope to hear your opinion. I got stock runflat Dunlops on my AWD which at 14.5k miles is starting to loose their grip and I will be looking for replacement really soon before the winter. Here in NJ we get severe weather with snow and ice, so my choices right now are either Michelin Pilot Sport A/S ($181) or Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position ($149). Those are quoted TR prices. I was also looking at ContiExtreme Contact which everyone raves about, BUT they do NOT come in 225/50-17 size for our cars. Makes me wonder how others got it on theirs, unless if they went with 225/45-17 which is not recommended for our cars?

Anyway, Potenza tires rated #1 and cheaper versus Pilot #4 and more expensive and worse snow/ice performance @ TR. But, Pilot is rated based on 10x more miles versus Potenza so it has a longer term review. I think both are rated at about 40k miles which is normal for moderate driving on ultra high-performance A/S tires. Basically, I can't make up my mind about either of those. My driving style is 100 highway miles a day, not very aggressive, and also through some typical pothole Jersey areas.

Can you help me with comments and suggestions which one to choose?
Old 11-26-07, 02:29 PM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you considered the Michelin® Energy™ MXV4® S8 - They were the longest wearing, quietest all season tire that MIchelin had for this car.

I have them on my AWD GS350 and they are great. I live in Minnesota and they go through snow like its not there. - I have driven in 8 inches. Quiet ride too!

If you have not considered these, why not?
Old 11-26-07, 07:50 PM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

Ok, I have to ask. What's the deal with the Discography @ Alex Twister thing? Are those your compilations or just personal favorites. I see a lot of old school Euro disco there.
Old 11-26-07, 08:20 PM
AlBoston
Pole Position

Instead of the Michelin Energy MXV4 S8 I would get the Michelin Primacy MXV4. The Primacy is a brand new model and is the latest and greatest in tire technology. Just got these tires for the Mercedes and am very happy with them.
Old 11-26-07, 08:47 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

You guys are making my decision even harder by throwing more choices Now, I will have to consider those mentioned Michelin tires; will have to do more research. I was just looking at my two original choices since they were rated top @ TireRack.

@Robert: Alex Twister is my music production name, and those are all the tunes which I have produced and released. I do a lot of updated remixes of classic dance tunes for a number of record labels I have contracts with (these tunes are always in demand). What can I say, I am a fiber-optic circuit design engineer by day, and dance music producer by night LOL!!! Keeps me busy, and wife is happy with supplementary income
Old 11-26-07, 08:58 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Hmm, can't find any reviews for Primacy, probably too new? While Energy is rated pretty good, but not for snow/ice?!? I guess I always looked into Performance instead of Grand Touring tires. But really, I don't care much about Performance since I'm not into racing, but rather need a good A/S tire to last me 50k-60k and perform well under elements of East Coast weather...
Old 11-26-07, 11:06 PM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

Very cool, I have some BBB on one of the MP3 discs sitting in my GS.
Old 11-27-07, 04:42 AM
bhuwan
Pole Position

Originally Posted by twister
Sorry guys, this topic has been revisited so many time. But, I still can't find a definitive answer and hope to hear your opinion. I got stock runflat Dunlops on my AWD which at 14.5k miles is starting to loose their grip and I will be looking for replacement really soon before the winter. Here in NJ we get severe weather with snow and ice, so my choices right now are either Michelin Pilot Sport A/S ($181) or Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position ($149). Those are quoted TR prices. I was also looking at ContiExtreme Contact which everyone raves about, BUT they do NOT come in 225/50-17 size for our cars. Makes me wonder how others got it on theirs, unless if they went with 225/45-17 which is not recommended for our cars?

Anyway, Potenza tires rated #1 and cheaper versus Pilot #4 and more expensive and worse snow/ice performance @ TR. But, Pilot is rated based on 10x more miles versus Potenza so it has a longer term review. I think both are rated at about 40k miles which is normal for moderate driving on ultra high-performance A/S tires. Basically, I can't make up my mind about either of those. My driving style is 100 highway miles a day, not very aggressive, and also through some typical pothole Jersey areas.

Can you help me with comments and suggestions which one to choose?
Let me know what you decide as I am in the same situation! I too was thinking of the PILOT A/S's and then decided on the MXM4's, all based on TireRack and CL Member REviews.

I still have no idea what I will be getting.
Old 11-27-07, 05:35 AM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Hmm, can't find any reviews for Primacy, probably too new? While Energy is rated pretty good, but not for snow/ice?!? I guess I always looked into Performance instead of Grand Touring tires. But really, I don't care much about Performance since I'm not into racing, but rather need a good A/S tire to last me 50k-60k and perform well under elements of East Coast weather...
I just looked at Tire Rack and the Michelin® Energy™ MXV4® S8 is the highest rated Michelin for Ice and Snow in an All Season Tire. And I have 1 Minnesota winter behind me in Driving on snow and they are great. What Are you looking at?
Old 11-27-07, 06:02 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey....jsp?type=GTAS

Energy is rated #7 overall with an average (and below) for snow and ice traction. Among other Grand touring A/S Michelins its top rated, but overall it raises a question. But than, review are not from Lexus drivers but rather other cars which handle differently under the weather.
Old 11-27-07, 06:06 AM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Energy is rated #7 overall with an average (and below) for snow and ice traction. Among other Grand touring A/S Michelins its top rated, but overall it raises a question. But than, review are not from Lexus drivers but rather other cars which handle differently under the weather.
I think this is a users survey, which is hard to judge (not apples to apples) IOW - The survey takers probably only tested 1 tire, not all of them. If you would ask Michelin which all season tire they sell is best for snow and ice they would tell you the tire I have. In fact that is what I did!
Old 12-25-07, 11:25 AM
AlBoston
Pole Position

Twister, the michelin primacy mxv4 are SO quiet on my MB C320 4matic. They are doing pretty well in the snow too!
Old 01-03-08, 11:33 AM
Stu
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

My tire needs are the same as you Twister. I got only 30,000 miles from my Michelin Energy MXV4 tires, and I am easy on my tires. To me that's lousy life for an expensive GT all season tire. I was told the Primacy is supposed to be better, but I think I am finished with Michelin. My last set of Yokohama Avid H4 were very nice and I may run these again

I need tires in the spring and I have read good stuff about Bridgestone's Turanza and Serenity tires and also Khumo Solus (and ASX but its a summer only tire) They cost a LOT less than the Michelins, and have better reviews almost consistently.
There are so many choices, and reviews are very inconsistent and frequently contradict each other. For example .... the Khumo Solus tires I hear are BOTH fantastic and crap. WTF ?
Old 01-03-08, 11:57 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

kumho solus's are awesome. they balance better than michelins, have the same quiet smooth ride and have a great treadwear rating.
Old 01-03-08, 07:22 PM
Stu
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by 19psi
kumho solus's are awesome. they balance better than michelins, have the same quiet smooth ride and have a great treadwear rating.
Thanks for the review. I really want to believe you because they are about half the price of Michelin Primacy ... but for everyone like you who says they are awesome, I have found someone who say they are total ****. I don't get it.

I was wondering, where you get that Khumos balance better than Michelins ?
How do you know, I doubt you are a tire installer driving a Lexus.

I will likely get Bridgestone's Turanza or Serenity, or Yokohamas ... but the Solus keeps popping up but I dont want to join the half that claim it's the worst tire they ever had, lol

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tires, revisited