Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Opinion needed -- acceptable date of manufacture for new tires

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-07, 12:27 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by e-man
That makes sense, a lot of sense. Two points, though. First, when buying online, you have no way of knowing the date of manufacture until the tires are delivered, and at that point, you've already made the purchase. I suppose the same could be said for buying locally, but at least in that situation, you might have the opportunity to inspect the tires prior to purchase. Second, assuming the tires are 1-2 years old (or more), you have no way of knowing how the tires were stored and whether they were kept out of the elements. This second point holds true no matter who you buy from (i.e., online or a local shop). However, if you buy tires that were manufactured more recently, you take that element out of the equation. Just some additional food for thought . . .

e
both very good points... when buying online, it may be worthwhile to have a quick discussion about the age of the tires prior to purchase... I got a sweet deal on some Viper sized Michelins a few years back from Tire Rack - they were 4 years old, but only cost $125 or so (wholesale price), retail was $175 or something along those lines... (and had they not been old stock, they would have been $400 ea) Hopefully, most online places use the same type of policy, however, a quick discussion with your salesperson should give you some assurance they aren't extremely old...

I would say by now, most, if not all tire retailers, have indoors, protected storage... if not, I simply wouldn't buy tires from them... We have the ability to warehouse about 11,000 tires in our store, and 150,000 company wide (or more, many are OTR tires)...
Old 03-30-12, 11:23 AM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

I know this is a old question. Your view please? Bought 4 new Michelin mxv4 from a local dealer. Later as i was looking them over. I saw two tires made in 2011 one in 2009 and another in 2007. I feel like i should ask for replacement for the two older ones.

Thanks
Old 03-31-12, 05:58 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by johnnyg66
I know this is a old question. Your view please? Bought 4 new Michelin mxv4 from a local dealer. Later as i was looking them over. I saw two tires made in 2011 one in 2009 and another in 2007. I feel like i should ask for replacement for the two older ones.

Thanks
2009 I wouldn't worry about, though it is getting up there, however, the 2007 is unacceptably old... if there was an issue where you couldn't find a receipt and had a defective tire, they would go by Michelin's warranty of 6 years from date of manufacture, and that is already almost up... While your at it, I would ask for the other tire to be replaced with something newer as well... And then, might stop going to that dealer, if they can't rotate stock often enough, or at least own up and offer a discount on the older tires... By law, they are required to register the DOT numbers, so they have to record them, and the DOT is obviously a dead giveaway for the age of the tire...
Old 03-31-12, 12:07 PM
johnnyg66
Racer

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
2009 I wouldn't worry about, though it is getting up there, however, the 2007 is unacceptably old... if there was an issue where you couldn't find a receipt and had a defective tire, they would go by Michelin's warranty of 6 years from date of manufacture, and that is already almost up... While your at it, I would ask for the other tire to be replaced with something newer as well... And then, might stop going to that dealer, if they can't rotate stock often enough, or at least own up and offer a discount on the older tires... By law, they are required to register the DOT numbers, so they have to record them, and the DOT is obviously a dead giveaway for the age of the tire...
Thanks for you confirmation. I called the shop back. They don't keep tires they have two sources in town to call. The sales guy i always talk to when i go there for repairs was very surprised. He was very sorry and will correct the issue on Monday. I was happy and can't make it back there till next Wed anyway. He wasn't there when i had them put on.

Will update again later in the week.
Old 04-05-12, 01:44 PM
johnnyg66
Racer

Just got a call from shop manager. New tires are in and will put on tomorrow. From what i can tell these tires are great.
Old 04-05-12, 08:40 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by johnnyg66
Just got a call from shop manager. New tires are in and will put on tomorrow. From what i can tell these tires are great.
Glad they took care of you!