Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Balancing Questions...

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-02, 07:30 PM
Spartan
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Balancing Questions...

Well...
My HREs will be coming in about a week.
I am very excited. I plan on getting the S03s for my tire choice.
Where should I get them mounted?
Is there certain balancing machines or methods that are better than others?
Anything that I should look out for from the point I get my wheels to when I mount them to my car?
All input is appreciated.
Thanks
MIKE
Old 01-20-02, 09:08 PM
damnboy
Pole Position

Cong. about getting the new wheels.

You should take them to the shop with hunter balance machine and let them mount/balance your wheels.
This is the link to locate the store.(http://www.gsp9700.com/pub/search/findgsp9700.cfm)

I'm not sure about HRE but my Work wheel have hubcentric ring put on so the wheels are concentric with the wheel bearings. Maybe manaray can help you on this one.
Old 01-21-02, 03:18 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

HRE's are built hubcentrically (??? ) ...my HRE's balanced with almost no need for weights...I have heard that others have had HRE's balance with NO weights...

So which model wheel did you get and what size? S03's are great tires. I'm getting a set once my current set runs out...maybe sooner...

Oh, as for the TIRE mounting,make sure they use a TOUCHLESS tire mounter...otherwise, they'll ***** up your lip....
Old 01-21-02, 03:38 AM
Spartan
Driver

Default Balancing...

Manaray....
They are the 547s. I have had my heart set on them since I saw them about two years ago!
Is a touchless mounter common?

Damnboy....
There are no weights that I need to add to these wheels. These should be perfect. They better be for the price

I recall that MSRAY just had his wheels balanced by some kind of special process??? Anyone remember what that was?

Thanks
MIKE
Old 01-21-02, 12:53 PM
gs4power
Driver

Cool Balance

Guys,

It is true that the wheel plays a role on overall balance, but ultimately the tire is the biggest contributor for the disbalance. Tires will always be unperfect!! Because of the manufacturing process capability!! On the other hand, wheels can have perfect balance, but it is not practical.

Every good quality tire has a mark on the sidewall: it shows the lightest part of the tire. It is common practice to mount the tire such as the marking is aligned with the valve stem. This allows for the best weight distribution possible. Thus, it's not a bad idea to introduce a small unbalance on the wheel...usually the valve stem!!

If the balancing machine reports perfect balance (no weights added)...you were lucky enough to get a tire that compensates the disbalance of the wheel (very good tire!)

Try to use the Hunter balancing machine that has the roller that measures the force applied by the tire as it turns.
Old 01-22-02, 12:27 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Miguel is absolutely right!
Old 01-22-02, 10:56 AM
928owner
Driver

Well, I just purchased new tires and decided to use Equal. It has been used in the trucking industry for years and is now available for passenger cars. The tires will never need a machine balance again.

This product was featured on MotorWeek in mid-summer last year, and is not "snake oil".

No more down tme for tire balancing for me..... now if they could only develop a simple home alighnment check device.......(not the big metal thing Eastwood sells).

93 sc400 245/50/16's
Old 01-22-02, 11:10 AM
damnboy
Pole Position

Originally posted by 928owner
Well, I just purchased new tires and decided to use Equal. It has been used in the trucking industry for years and is now available for passenger cars. The tires will never need a machine balance again.

This product was featured on MotorWeek in mid-summer last year, and is not "snake oil".

No more down tme for tire balancing for me..... now if they could only develop a simple home alighnment check device.......(not the big metal thing Eastwood sells).

93 sc400 245/50/16's
How much Equal cost? How long can it last?
I dig up Equal's website: www.equalauto.com and they have some useful info about vibration and shimmy so I will post them here.

SYMPTOM: Vibration
POSSIBLE CAUSE:
- Wheel imbalance
- Excessive wheel or tire (lateral) runout. On an average, the maximum allowable lateral runout of the assembly is .050".
- Drum or rotor imbalance
- Worn "U" joints or "CV" joints
- Wheel cover imbalance
- Worn wheel bearings
- Improper tire inflation
- Worn shocks or damaged shock mountings
- Worn or loose motor mounts
- Drive train misalignment
- Drive shaft imbalance
- Tire(s) not properly mounted on wheel(s)

"Vibration" is a repetitive movement of an object back and forth or up or down. Rotating components will vibrate if there is too much imbalance or runout.

SYMPTOM: Shimmy
POSSIBLE CAUSE:
- Wheel imbalance
- Loose or worn components
- Excessive wheel or tire (lateral) runout.
- Under inflated tires
- Worn tires
- Loose wheel bearings
- Improperly torqued lug nuts
- Excessive steering gear play
- Extremely high positive caster
- Defective steering dampener
- Tire construction problems

"Shimmy" is a side-to-side motion of an object.
Old 01-22-02, 12:08 PM
928owner
Driver

I paid $15.00 + tax for each tire. It is supposed to last the life of the tire. If you call the Distributor (IMC I beleive), the gal will provide some pretty good info..... a pleasent girl to talk to.

There are not a lot of places in S. CA that offer this yet. A couple of Caddy dealers in O.C., but Ron Crane at Bi-County tire is where I went. He is a real nice guy to talk to, and won't give you a bunch of sales BS, as most of his sales are truck tire related.

93 SC
Old 01-22-02, 12:17 PM
damnboy
Pole Position

Thanks 928!

The price is not much more than regular balance. I already have my tires balance so I will give it a try later.