Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Lowering the car and rim sizes?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-02, 08:21 AM
mjr24
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowering the car and rim sizes?

2 questions....
1-What is the largest inch rim I can put on the SC without rubbing the fenders when I turn or anything? 19s"? 20?
2-If I put rims that big on the SC....will the gap between the wheel well and the tire become bigger and look bad....so that I will have to lower it? Reason is I also have a BMW 5 series and I put 18s on it....but after I did that...there was like a 3 inch gap between the front wheel wells and the tires....the rear there was only like 1 inch (thats how all BMWs are)...so I had to lower the car to get rid of that gap in the front.
Old 01-18-02, 09:29 AM
mjames08
Pole Position

I have 20x8.5 's on my SC with 245/35/20 tires. It rubs the plastic liner in the fender well on sharp turns, but that can be taken off. The wheel gap did not look bad, but I opted to lower it 1" anyway.
Old 01-18-02, 09:35 AM
mjr24
Lexus Test Driver

Do you have any pics of your car mjames?
Old 01-18-02, 10:42 AM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Lowering the car and rim sizes?

Originally posted by mjr24
2 questions....
1-What is the largest inch rim I can put on the SC without rubbing the fenders when I turn or anything? 19s"? 20?
2-If I put rims that big on the SC....will the gap between the wheel well and the tire become bigger and look bad....so that I will have to lower it? Reason is I also have a BMW 5 series and I put 18s on it....but after I did that...there was like a 3 inch gap between the front wheel wells and the tires....the rear there was only like 1 inch (thats how all BMWs are)...so I had to lower the car to get rid of that gap in the front.
1. I wouldn't put 20". It's hudge and most races will laugh at you because you will not only loose performance but it won't be too practical. Rubbing tires, etc etc. I belive 19" is the biggest most people would go. 18" are perfect for street use, racing, etc etc. Make sure you get wide rims too. I mean atleast 9" in the back and at most 8" in the front (you don't want the tires to rub the fender while turning).

2. Lowering the car is not necessery but it will be a good idea. I would put Supra TT Eibach lowering kit (suggested by sc300tt, aka Clint). It lowers the car more than the Lexus Eibach kit and the car shouldn't have such a big gap. When you lower the car so much I would also recomend doing shocks. Eibach makes kits based on the car's suspension. The stock shocks won't last too long on such a big drop (as in more than 1" with Eibach Pro kit for Lexus SC).
Old 01-18-02, 12:54 PM
mjames08
Pole Position

Default Re: Re: Lowering the car and rim sizes?

Originally posted by DIrEctQL

1. I wouldn't put 20". It's hudge and most races will laugh at you because you will not only loose performance but it won't be too practical
But you look cool It depends on what you want to do with your SC. I don't want to race a lexus. I want to roll in a lexus.
Old 01-18-02, 01:06 PM
DIrEctQL

Default Re: Re: Re: Lowering the car and rim sizes?

Originally posted by mjames08

But you look cool It depends on what you want to do with your SC. I don't want to race a lexus. I want to roll in a lexus.
So do ricers. No offence.
Old 01-18-02, 02:07 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Re: Re: Lowering the car and rim sizes?

Originally posted by mjames08

thats debateable... sorry friend... but 20s on anything other than a SUV are along the lines of a hybrid ghetto-rice category

thats just my opinion though; and everyone has one
Old 01-19-02, 04:33 PM
Wheel Experts

Rim size is a matter of personal opinion. 18, 19, 20, whatever you like. I would prob. use a 19, maybe a 20, but prob. a 19.

Who the hell wants to race in a Lexus anyways? If you wanted a fast car, you wouldn't have bought an SC. You would have bought an M3 or something like that. Gimme a break.

Only ricers try to race cars that are not fast. Just like they try to put turbos in Honda Accords. Is is going to be faster? Yes. Is it going to be fast? No. No offense.

BTW 20s are too small for SUVs.
Old 01-19-02, 04:35 PM
Wheel Experts

Ooops, I forgot to ask, what year is the SC? The newest one or the older style?
Old 01-19-02, 06:20 PM
DIrEctQL

Originally posted by lee2375
Rim size is a matter of personal opinion. 18, 19, 20, whatever you like. I would prob. use a 19, maybe a 20, but prob. a 19.

Who the hell wants to race in a Lexus anyways? If you wanted a fast car, you wouldn't have bought an SC. You would have bought an M3 or something like that. Gimme a break.

Only ricers try to race cars that are not fast. Just like they try to put turbos in Honda Accords. Is is going to be faster? Yes. Is it going to be fast? No. No offense.

BTW 20s are too small for SUVs.
Lexus aren't fast stock my friend. My SC300 will have a nice turbo this or next year. That's about 350 rwhp easy. 20" rims aren't practical for street use on the SC. I belive 19" are okay because they won't rub the fenders. I may be talking out of my a$$ but I don't think you know what the SC really is.
Old 01-19-02, 06:22 PM
DIrEctQL

Ooops, I forgot to ask, what year is the SC? The newest one or the older style?
This is the SC300/SC400 forums section. You would assume most people who come here would have the older style.
Old 01-20-02, 08:43 AM
Wheel Experts

Ooops...must have overlooked that forum part. Well excuuuuuuuuse me! Sometimes I forget which forum i'm actually in.

BTW everyone says they're going to get a turbo or this and that. And how many percent of the people who have told me that in the last 7 years have actually got them? Less than .05%. I'll believe it when I see it.

Now I'm not saying it won't be fast, because it very well may be.

And why would you say I don't know what an SC really is. It's a Gran Touring car, a coupe, a cruiser. It has plenty of smooth power to get you where you're going with comfort, style, and power, but it's not a race car. I think maybe you have it wrong, sir.

Do all SC owners go to races? And even if they did, do you really think people would laugh? There are spectators around, too, who just go and watch. The bottom line: 20" looks fine an SC, it just depends on personal preference. Like I said, I would prob. use a 19" myself. But if the guy wants 20s, cool.

I know this is a personal opinion forum, so people are certainly entitled to their opinion, including DIrEctQL. I respect that. So here's my $0.02.
Old 01-20-02, 09:27 AM
DIrEctQL

Ooops...must have overlooked that forum part. Well excuuuuuuuuse me! Sometimes I forget which forum i'm actually in.

BTW everyone says they're going to get a turbo or this and that. And how many percent of the people who have told me that in the last 7 years have actually got them? Less than .05%. I'll believe it when I see it.

Now I'm not saying it won't be fast, because it very well may be.

And why would you say I don't know what an SC really is. It's a Gran Touring car, a coupe, a cruiser. It has plenty of smooth power to get you where you're going with comfort, style, and power, but it's not a race car. I think maybe you have it wrong, sir.

Do all SC owners go to races? And even if they did, do you really think people would laugh? There are spectators around, too, who just go and watch. The bottom line: 20" looks fine an SC, it just depends on personal preference. Like I said, I would prob. use a 19" myself. But if the guy wants 20s, cool.

I know this is a personal opinion forum, so people are certainly entitled to their opinion, including DIrEctQL. I respect that. So here's my $0.02.
Yes, it is a GT car. That means it's designed for speed. Have you ever taken a Supra beyond 160 mph? The reason why it's so smooth is mainly because it was designed to stand such high speed. There is no shakes, no vibration, you just seem to be flowing smoothly. Comparing to other cars, such as Mustang GT, Lancer, WRX STi, etc etc. They can all go to such speed; however, the car doesn't feel safe at such speed without chasis streightening. Don't say the car was meant for racing, because most likely it was.

20" rims were not meant for the car. That's the reason why I say don't get these. You have to modify the body in order to fit the 20" rims without rubbing the body. There is no advantige and 18" and 19" look just as well. I belive it's safe to say 20" rims are ghetto/rice orientated.

PS. Ricers also think that stickers look good. Maybe you should get some stickers for your car.
Old 01-20-02, 09:28 AM
DIrEctQL

Hmmm, okay, that's it? Who moved this thread to General forum?
Old 01-20-02, 02:59 PM
mjames08
Pole Position

Originally posted by DIrEctQL
20" rims were not meant for the car. That's the reason why I say don't get these. You have to modify the body in order to fit the 20" rims without rubbing the body. There is no advantige and 18" and 19" look just as well. I belive it's safe to say 20" rims are ghetto/rice orientated.

PS. Ricers also think that stickers look good. Maybe you should get some stickers for your car.
You don't have to modify the body. I did nothing to my car to put 20s on it. It definately looks better than 17s or 18s.. And I don't have a 4" wheel gap

Enough with the ricer stuff. Who cares? I think that putting a cone filter on your car is a ricer mod. So what? Look how many people have cone filters and MAF adapters that you can buy at the mall? Who cares?

Quick Reply: Lowering the car and rim sizes?