Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Lug Nut recomendation

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-07, 10:00 PM
Alexus_300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lug Nut recomendation

Hey all, since I just got some new Iforged wheels, I was wondering what kind of lug nuts out there that are good to use on these wheels. What I'm looking for is something that is strong with a locking feature built in to somewhat slow down a thieft if they were to eye my wheels. I'm looking to stick with chrome or silver color lug nut since the wheel face is silver with a chrome lip and barrel. All suggestions are welcome.
Old 10-25-07, 12:03 AM
rfx45
Lexus Test Driver

McGard can get real pricey but I believe they are one of the best in the business. They come with the key too which should slow the thief down a bit.

As for the lock, I would get a set of McGard Tuner locks, again it could get pricey as well but it is one of the best. Having the lock should help deter most thiefs out there.
Old 10-25-07, 02:10 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I would also use the McGard Sline Drive lugs, but not the locks. The Spline Drive has the patented spinning base so it lessons the scratches in the lugnut hole base and also if I'm not mistaken holds it torque better/longer. Anyway, I've been using them for all my aftermarket rims and I really like them.
Old 10-25-07, 03:01 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
I would also use the McGard Sline Drive lugs, but not the locks. The Spline Drive has the patented spinning base so it lessons the scratches in the lugnut hole base and also if I'm not mistaken holds it torque better/longer. Anyway, I've been using them for all my aftermarket rims and I really like them.
any particular reason you dont recco their locks?
Old 10-25-07, 03:23 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
any particular reason you dont recco their locks?
The locks don't have that patented spinning base. If you check out the McGard group buy thread, they supposedly recomend about a 70 ft lbs of torque on the Spline Drive lugs due to that special spinning base. Sounds low, but I've tried it out and carefully monitored it in the begining and I've never had any problems with them coming loose so I don't worry about it anymore. Here was the torque recomendation on post 1. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...+nut+group+buy

Personally, I just don't want to mix the the two due to the lower torque recomendation for the Spline Drive. It probably isn't a problem, but rim theft is not an issue for me so I don't bother with it.
Old 10-25-07, 09:31 PM
Alexus_300
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks all who have replied to my question. I'm sure that I'll look into the Mcgard spline drive lug nut because if they are trusted by OEM manufacturer to supply the lug nuts on most production cars, then I'm sure they are quality. Never thought about using McGard for aftermarket wheels. Cost is not a big problem since I've shelled out alot of money for Iforged wheels. What's a hundred or two going to hurt right??? As for the lug nut style, what kind do I need to get for the Iforged Essen wheels that I have??(i.e. Close end, Acorn...etc.) Thanks all.
Old 10-25-07, 10:10 PM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm using Kics lug nuts I can honestly say that the finish, design and overall look of the nuts as well as the packaging is first rate plus they have the spinning base as well. They also were the only ones that fit the arp extended studs on my car. Check them out. I paid 140 for mine.
Old 10-26-07, 06:24 AM
Alexus_300
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Spyder78
I'm using Kics lug nuts I can honestly say that the finish, design and overall look of the nuts as well as the packaging is first rate plus they have the spinning base as well. They also were the only ones that fit the arp extended studs on my car. Check them out. I paid 140 for mine.
I'm very iffy about tuner lug nuts in general. Plus, my wheels were built to my spec therefore I did not need to run any spacers which required extended lug nuts. I'll be using all OEM studs minus the wheels.
Old 10-31-07, 06:20 AM
movinquick
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
i have the mcgard spline drive lug nuts, my tire guy said these are unsafe for oem gs400 chrome rims, does anyone know if this is true?
Old 10-31-07, 03:36 PM
WebStarr
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by movinquick
i have the mcgard spline drive lug nuts, my tire guy said these are unsafe for oem gs400 chrome rims, does anyone know if this is true?
I'm not sure if GS lug nuts are like the my SC's, but the OEM nuts on my car have a washer on them. Do your spline drive nuts resemble your OEM nuts in this way? If not I'd get some OEM ones. It sounds like you may be using nuts that would work on an aftermarket wheel.
Old 11-01-07, 03:58 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by movinquick
Yes, they are unsafe for your stock rims. The Slpinedrives have a conical base which most aftermarket rims use. The Lexus stock rims use a flat base. Using the wrong lug nut seat is bad news as the lug nut wont stay torqued properly. There is nothing wrong with your lug nuts in general, just that they have the wrong seat base for your stock rims. Some OEM manufacturers also use a conical base, but most use a rounded acorn style, or flat like Lexus.
Old 11-05-07, 04:35 PM
TypeX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another McGard Fan here.