Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Mounting tires at Costco?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-02, 10:19 AM
howiedoit
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Mounting tires at Costco?

Anyone have their tires put on at Costco? They do it for only $9. Is there another place that does it for cheaper?
Old 01-09-02, 11:34 AM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that is the cheapest it gets...and you get lifetie balance+free flat repair..need to make sure the costco you go to has the right machine to handle 18" and larger wheel without scratching the rim, not every costco has the right equipment...
Old 01-11-02, 03:59 PM
importtoys
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cheaper?
Tha 's a great price. We have costco do all of our mounting and havent had a problem w/them ever.
Old 01-12-02, 05:55 PM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

which costco you going to howie??? so basically i can bring my tires from another store and they will mount them for 9 bucks each tire? i saw their sign, but i thought you had to buy their tires. i could have misread the board though.......... if it's true, then i'm taking my new tires here to get mounted. this place that i was going to go to charges 15 each
Old 01-12-02, 07:46 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

you need to call around(based on my experience)..the one in puente hill was a total a$$h@le...i had a flat one night and it was raining hard, i pulled into the shop and the guy refused to take care of the matter. i called the customer service, and the guy got yelled at...it is the policy of costco to take care of the customers even if they did not buy the tyres from costco..BUT,

only some stores have newer equipment to handle 18s and larger.. call first
Old 01-12-02, 09:16 PM
howiedoit
Lexus Champion

do-luck,

I called the Irvine Costco like 2 days ago. I think it was the Irvine one I called...maybe it was Tustin. I asked them if they sell 18's. The guy said, "no". Then I asked if they can mount 18's. He said, "yes". And then I said, "thanks!"

So yeah, they should be able to take care of you. I'm going there on Monday. I bought two barely used tires the other day from discount tires for my front rims. So I'll be there to mount those...We'll see what happens.
Old 01-12-02, 09:55 PM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

hey howie!
thanks for your pm. you got a great deal on your rims.. i'm jealous!! but let me know how it goes. also, what kind of tires are you or did you get? what size for the front? i have 235-40-18
Old 01-14-02, 12:28 PM
howiedoit
Lexus Champion

Hey,

I got some pirelli p7000 supersports. I'm not too picky with tires since I don't plan on doing any real racing or anything. The pirelli's I got were 235/40-18's. I'm planning on getting some Kumho's or something for the rear in 265/25-18.

I'll be going to Costco in about an hour...as soon as my GF gets out of school.
Old 01-14-02, 12:52 PM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

hehe, cool. i have the p7000 also. let me know how it goes. i think i paid 140 for each tire
Old 01-14-02, 10:12 PM
howiedoit
Lexus Champion

Wow,

where'd you get them for 140? i just picked up my rear tires. got them used as well. one is pretty good...almost new. The other is quite worn. 275-35-18. I got the two rears for $170 for both. My fronts cost me about $180 or so...used. I'm cheap.

About mounting, don't go to the Tustin Costco. That's where I ended up going today because it was closer. They don't mount 18's, but I had them call the Irvine Costco to confirm that they do mount 18's. I had some shopping to do at Costco, so I decided to head over to the Irvine one some other time. So, it looks like I won't be mounting my tires for a while...

BTW, what are your thoughts on the P7000? The reviews on tirerack are filled with complaints about road noise. How long did they last? Does one side wear out faster? Right or left side? I'm wondering because one of my fronts is almost new, the other one is worn more...same goes for the rear. So can I mount the newer looking ones on the side that will wear faster? Just to even things out...

Last edited by howiedoit; 01-14-02 at 10:14 PM.
Old 01-14-02, 10:25 PM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

hey howie!
dang, i didn't know you bought all four of your tires used. where did you get them at? i can get the 235-40-18 p7000 for 140 + tax. each tire.

As for tires wearing unevenly, i had mine for about 2 years now. The only one that wears out unevenly are the back ones, which you do NEED to get it rotated and aligned every so often. the fronts are not a problem. i lowered my car too! The tires are alright, a bit noisy though. When driving on the freeway, i hear a "whirrrrrr" sound. Since i need new tires, i'm thinking about going with nitto's next time. i hope they serve me well. do you know anything about nitto's? i can get those for 160 + tax for each tire. That's the cheapest I found. I've been looking for good deals for about a year now... hehe.... they're expensive to replace.
Old 01-15-02, 09:36 AM
howiedoit
Lexus Champion

Hey,
I got the fronts on ebay from discount tires. And last night, I was looking at www.recycler.com, and it just so happened that someone was selling the p7000's for the rear, so I jumped on it. So the left and right on the rear wear unevenly? Do you know which one wears faster? Do you have one of those lifetime alignment things? Where you pay a one time fee, and you get get aligned as often as you want, whenever you want. I think I'll get my alignment checked before putting the rims on. Where's a good place in OC?
Old 01-18-02, 10:07 PM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

hey howie!
the rear right wear out faster on my SC for some reason. Plenty of other people have the same problem, but no solutions yet.

Where do you have the option of having a lifetime alignment thing??? that would be so cool, but i'm wondering if they'll let me come in every week!

But you would have to get your alignment checked AFTER you put your rims on. everytime you take your wheels off, it's not the sam anymore, at least that's what i've noticed. Do you know any good tires in the 235-40-18 size? I'm trying to figure out which one to get now. I went on tirerack, but still dont' know which one. Most of them all have great reviews.