Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Tires again...

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-07, 05:03 PM
sonnychiba
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tires again...

Hey everybody,

New to the forum, but I've been driving my GS430 since mid '05. Tire problems seem to be a major issue on this forum and I was wondering why it seems most people with stock rims seem to be getting their tires from the dealer, seeing as it costs so much more there? Is it because people want to get an alignment done as well and they only want Lexus to mess with that? Afraid of scratching rims from improper mounting? Would it be safe to go to a independent shop that handles higher end cars?

I need to get my first set of new tires (got about 28,000 miles - don't drive it too much cause I still got my 4runner) and I was having a hard time deciding where to go. Any input would be much appreciated. I want to get some Bridgestone Potenzas so any insight on em would be welcome as well.
Old 09-19-07, 05:38 PM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

Welcome to the forum! I'll start with your last question and work back...

I put Bridgestone Potenza RE960 AS tires on my wife's car, and they are great. Much quieter than the runflats that came with the car, and quieter than the Advans that people complain a lot about here.

Regarding installation and purchase, any good high-end shop can do it for you. I have a friend who owns such a shop, and he does great work, so he does it for me.

I don't know about tire prices at the dealer, but I presume they charge quite a premium for them as you're thinking. On the installation side, if you get a good technician, you're in good shape, but if you get someone who's in a hurry and not paying attention, scratches happen and wheels get nicked by the "runaway" air gun as they attempt to tighten all 5 lug nuts in 20 seconds.
Old 09-19-07, 06:28 PM
sonnychiba
Driver School Candidate

Thanks caha14...you know, the Advans came with my car and so far so good. But they seem to be THE issue regarding the GS, so I'm hesitant to get them again.

I'm looking to get the Potenza RE050A Pole Positions but everybody seems to be going with the Michelin PS 2's...
Old 09-19-07, 07:02 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

If you're looking for longevity and quietness, it's best to go with an Ultra High Performance All Season tire like the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S or Pirelli P-Zero Nero M&S. Both these tires are high ranking tires and i've actually had experience with both on a previous car. If summer tire performance is not what you're looking for, these are the tires to get. Now if you're looking at Summer only tires...Pilot Sport PS2's are the top choice in my books.
Old 09-19-07, 07:19 PM
EyeKutr

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

I have General Exclaim UHPs, awesome so far, any one have long term experience with them ??
Old 09-19-07, 07:30 PM
lexlovgs
Driver School Candidate

I have 2006 GS300 AWD. I have changed all my tires to Kumho ECSTA ASX (225/50 ZR17 94W) and ran first 35,000. It was a great tires. I just replace them through tirerack. This is my second set and I love them. I also had alignment done through NTB and they adjusted toe-in probem that caused inside of tire warn out quicker than the outside. They did great job and the car runs like new at 100 MPH. :-)
Old 09-19-07, 07:58 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i've had all my tires changed at costco. you can't beat the price, and they are very professional and never damage a thing. we've had costco mount tires on the GS ,RX and SC and never had any issues.

they carry michelin and bridgestone i think and do promos twice a year on those ($60 off set of 4). also, their prices include road hazard warranthy which is great. i've had nails in sidewalls and a blown tire and costco will replace those (pro-rata credit for unused treadwear) which is a nice perk and provides peace of mind when you are spending a lot on good tires.

they don't do alignments though. only lifetime balancing and rotations.

anyway, just wanted to put that option out there!
Old 09-19-07, 07:59 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

p.s. we got michelin pilot sport a/s on the GS and SC from costco. they are great tires
Old 09-19-07, 08:57 PM
sonnychiba
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the input everyone...weird being on a forum where people are constructive.
Old 09-20-07, 10:11 PM
slk_dds
Lexus Test Driver

My GS came with Yokohama Advan A10B 245/40/18, the tire noise drove me nuts. I had my dealer replaced them with Michelin PS2, free of charge. But within a month, my service manager called me to bring my GS back to replace with different tires. Somehow Lexus did not approved PS2 to be used on GS, and they replaced my GS with Michelin Primacy HP.

Between these 3 set of tires, Primacy HP > PS2 > A10B.
Old 09-20-07, 10:54 PM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

I would check out TireRack and look for recommended installers near you. TireRack uses intall shops across the country to mount their rims/tires so they have quite a database on shops. Just look for the 3 highest rated installers near you and call the managers. Make sure that they have experience with 18" alloy rims, tpms & 40 series hi perf tires. Worked for me.

PS - Cool screen name !
Old 09-24-07, 12:30 PM
sonnychiba
Driver School Candidate

slk_dds,
Wondering what parameters Lexus is looking for when they approve tires? Anyway, I ordered Bridgestone Potenza RE050A Pole Positions - wish me luck.

socalJD,
Followed your script to a T and getting them put on at Shoreline Motoring...they seem to have the good equipment.

Thanks everyone...greatly appreciate the help.