Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Tire Brands

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-07, 08:17 PM
buggsc3
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire Brands

I found these tires on:
Has anyone ever heard of these tire brands. Are they any good?

Mastercraft: Avenger ZHP

Nankang

Runway

Marangoni

Last edited by buggsc3; 08-05-07 at 08:36 PM.
Old 08-05-07, 08:38 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

only heard of nangkang. out of those 4
Old 08-05-07, 08:45 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

all are junk... the only good reviews you will find of any of them are from the people who can't afford anything better...
Old 08-05-07, 09:57 PM
fwynn
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well nankang is pretty good for the price.. if u go with nankang go with the NS-II

just search the reviews on google.. theres many reviews on nankang ;] MOST .. well MOST-A LOT are good reviews
Old 08-05-07, 10:07 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by fwynn
well nankang is pretty good for the price.. if u go with nankang go with the NS-II

just search the reviews on google.. theres many reviews on nankang ;] MOST .. well MOST-A LOT are good reviews
I don't feel comfortable installing the Nankangs on anyones car... When I worked for Discount Tire, we got a special buy of 205/40-17's for like $28 a tire or something, so we did a lot of cheapie tire and wheel packages... I'd say at least half of what I sold came back with complaints about the ****ty tires, and they paid the difference to upgrade to something, anything else...
Old 08-05-07, 10:53 PM
Wald GS
O.C. Lucky Strike Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Before I had my Dunlops, I ran Hankook Ventus sport k104 and really loved them!
Old 08-06-07, 04:04 AM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Only ones Ive heard of were nankang, a friend had them and HATED them. Not sure the reason but he ordered Toyos real quick
Old 08-06-07, 08:12 AM
nate579
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Highly regarded race teams in Europe and Asia run Nankang on their race cars. Advan and Nankang and a few other "not known as well" tires are used by several overseas F1 teams and IMSA teams. Good Luck on your search.
Old 08-06-07, 08:29 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by nate579
Highly regarded race teams in Europe and Asia run Nankang on their race cars. Advan and Nankang and a few other "not known as well" tires are used by several overseas F1 teams and IMSA teams. Good Luck on your search.
Ummmm, Bridgestone is the sole supplier of tires for F1, specifically after Michelin dropped out last year.

Either way, you cannot compare a track version of a brand of tire to its street tire makings.... I love Bridgestone and all, but I don't think that their street tire is superior solely because F1 uses them on their cars...

In American IMSA, there are 6 tire choices: Dunlop, Pirelli, Yokohama (Advan), Michelin, Kumho and Goodyear... Across the pond, they spec out certain tires, Hankook is one, maybe Nankang is another - either way, you can't compare any of these tires to their street tire offerings, they just aren't the same technology...
Old 08-06-07, 04:21 PM
nate579
Lexus Champion

I will post a few teams in IMSA that run other than the usual when I find my mag. You are right about F1 i was mis informed by google. LOL. I am not comparing track tires to street. I am saying, don't rule out a tire because they are considered cheap. I will never again pay 300-500 for a tire for my car when I can and have gotten the same performance from a $250 and below tire. Waiting for someone to say "Why put cheap tires on a 50k car? But you made my point on Nankang tires and a few others that people would not purchase.

Last edited by nate579; 08-06-07 at 04:31 PM.
Old 08-06-07, 04:49 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by nate579
I will post a few teams in IMSA that run other than the usual when I find my mag. You are right about F1 i was mis informed by google. LOL. I am not comparing track tires to street. I am saying, don't rule out a tire because they are considered cheap. I will never again pay 300-500 for a tire for my car when I can and have gotten the same performance from a $250 and below tire. Waiting for someone to say "Why put cheap tires on a 50k car? But you made my point on Nankang tires and a few others that people would not purchase.
I know that IMSA can use pretty much whatever tire they certify for use - just not here in USA, ALMS only uses the 6 I specified earlier... Other countries have different tire rules, that I'm not quite so well versed in...

as far as street tires go, I would never put cheap tires on ANY car...
but, inexpensive does not equal cheap necessarily...

cheap tires are crap

inexpensive tires can be good, but not cost much... for instance, Kumho Victoracers are decent inexpensive tires... Fuzion ZRI's are decent inexpensive tires (based on Bridgestone RE design)... There are plenty out there that are inexpensive and decent... the four listed above are cheap junk...
Old 08-06-07, 04:58 PM
nate579
Lexus Champion

inexpensive or cheap okay depends on who is wording it. I have on my car Avon Tech M500. And will stand by behind them 100%. Cheap or otherwise.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...ay.jsp?ttid=51

Good luck on your search.
Old 08-11-07, 09:33 AM
Brandon@TR
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is a good discussion. Avon is an old old quality English brand, we just have them made at Cooper factories here in the USA and buy so many that we can keep the price down. Kumho is a huge brand like 8th or something worldwide, Fuzion has also proven to be inexpensive but good. That said, I prefer Bridgestone/Firestone, Michelin/BFG, Yokohama, Goodyear or Pirelli. Right now I am running the KDW2's on my M Roadster and I like em, plus they look cool.

Last edited by Brandon@TR; 08-11-07 at 10:04 AM.
Old 08-11-07, 10:02 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by Brandon@TR
This is a good discussion. Avon is an old old quality English brand, we just have them made at Cooper factories here in the USA and buy so many that we can keep the price down. Kumho is a huge brand like 8th or something worldwide, Fuzion has also proven to be inexpensive but good. That said, I prefer Bridgestone, Michelin when I can get them. Right now I am running the KDW2's on my M Roadster and I like em, plus they look cool.
well, when two different tire salesmen agree on something, there's gotta be something good about em... I prefer Bridgestone / Michelin as well, and run KDW2's....
Old 08-11-07, 10:26 AM
Brandon@TR
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hah, I had to edit to add a few more of the good brands. Yokohama, Pirelli, Goodyear. It's not right for me to leave them out b/c they also make great tires.

Mitsuguy, if you ever want to move to SB Indiana and work for us send me a PM and I'll put in a good word for you. You have to really like looking at corn though.

Quick Reply: Tire Brands