Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 vs. Pilot Sport A/S

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-07, 01:02 AM
memasterac
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 vs. Pilot Sport A/S

Dealer just replaced my Yoko to Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, I think it's about the same quietness as the Yokohama when both are brand new. I will wait 4000-5000 miles to give a more objective evaluation.

Reading from Tire Rack's website:
Pilot Sport PS2 --> Max for Performance Summer...

Pilot Sport A/S --> Ultra High Performance All-Season...

Two totally different tire treads, what do you think about their performance? Did anyone use both tires before, comparison in quietness?
Old 08-04-07, 01:04 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

For dry performance, the PS2 > A/S.

the A/S is more practical if you dont do aggressive driving. I believe the treadwear is longer, and may be quieter.
Old 08-04-07, 01:47 AM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to make the same decision this week. I have PS2s on my 997S and they are some great tires but I am willing to make compromises in performance for a quiet and comfortable ride. The question though is whether or not the A/S is actually quieter than the PS2. I'm still waiting for Jace to chime in with a comprehensive review on the PS2s
Old 08-04-07, 04:15 AM
micnic
Driver School Candidate

My dealer says the Pilot PS2 is not on the recommended list for the GS. I got the A/S put on yesterday and think they are more quiet than the Yokohama was even when I first got the car in April. Hoping for the best.
Old 08-04-07, 04:16 AM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

They have a recommended list? So by that logic, the Advan A10Bs must top the list.
Old 08-04-07, 07:37 AM
Modeler
Lexus Test Driver

The A/S is a great tire, but if you will never drive in the snow, get the PS2 for improved dry and wet performance.
Old 08-04-07, 07:49 AM
shadow
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pilot A/S for me has been excellent. Hardly any tire noise and they handle very nice dry or wet. I've had them on my gs for 3 months now and I have no complaints.
Old 08-04-07, 07:53 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

the ps2 has far superior handling, the a/s is no match at all. i have tried both. don't get me wrong, the a/s is still very good on performance

but the ps2 wears out a lot faster as well. for practical daily driving, i would get the a/s
Old 08-04-07, 07:54 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by micnic
My dealer says the Pilot PS2 is not on the recommended list for the GS. I got the A/S put on yesterday and think they are more quiet than the Yokohama was even when I first got the car in April. Hoping for the best.
They're not recommended because they cost an arm....not the leg until you get into the 19 and up sizes.

I have had both tires and here's what I experienced.
Both great tires. The A/S is quiet at first but gets louder after 10-15K miles. Not loud enough to be a problem as many other brands but louder than when new. With no music on you can definitely hear it. The performance is outstanding and the tread life is equally good. Nice tread pattern too.

The PS2 is the best tire on the planet. After a year it was just as quiet as when new. Performance also outstanding but tread life is not as good as the A/S. You won't get much more than 15K miles out of them. The tread pattern is also not as cool. Since I do about 8-9K miles a year, the PS2 would be my choice. If long tread life is important, the A/S is the one to go with. If money is no object, PS2 is the best tire on the planet.
Old 08-04-07, 09:33 AM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 2thfixr
I have to make the same decision this week. I have PS2s on my 997S and they are some great tires but I am willing to make compromises in performance for a quiet and comfortable ride. The question though is whether or not the A/S is actually quieter than the PS2. I'm still waiting for Jace to chime in with a comprehensive review on the PS2s

Ok Robert. Here's your chime.

I think the PS2's are the best tires out there.

I have about 10K miles on them and I can tell they are getting a "little" bit noisy..... but not much at all, just a little so don't let that discourage you at all.

The PS'2 are probably a little more $$ but I think they are the best.

In any water AT ALL, I haven't hydro'd at all, up to 100mph. They truly do grip the road and with the tread pattern are great!

Now, if you needed to save some $$, the A/S are the way to go plus they are all season.

I purchased my PS'2 strictly for SUMMER and SUMMER only, so I plan on getting some good blizz. tires for winter.

But the A/S is a good year round tire, if you wnat to keep it simple and you aren't hot rodding your GS.

Personally, I have found the PS'2 to be wonderful in dry and wet.
They hold the road and are super quiet, as you already know this b/c you have them on your other auto.

Honestly, if you want the best for the warmer season, the PS2 is better in every area I believe, but it you want to keep it simple get the A/S b/c that's year round....

Personally, I have and will purchase again, the PS2's for the summer months.
Old 08-04-07, 11:16 AM
memasterac
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

These are very valuable information. Thanks for sharing your experience on these two tires. I didn’t get an offer to choose the PS2, the dealer made the decision. I think after the life on this A/S I will get a set of PS2 for a more practical California use tires.

Not sure why this thread is moved to Tire Rack’s forum. I believe there are many 3GS owners are interested about the two Michelins and will have the same questions like I do. I hope this thread can stay on 3GS forum like any other tire issue thread. Thanks.
Old 08-07-07, 05:54 AM
noncom23
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jace7
Ok Robert. Here's your chime.

I think the PS2's are the best tires out there.

I have about 10K miles on them and I can tell they are getting a "little" bit noisy..... but not much at all, just a little so don't let that discourage you at all.

The PS'2 are probably a little more $$ but I think they are the best.

In any water AT ALL, I haven't hydro'd at all, up to 100mph. They truly do grip the road and with the tread pattern are great!

Now, if you needed to save some $$, the A/S are the way to go plus they are all season.

I purchased my PS'2 strictly for SUMMER and SUMMER only, so I plan on getting some good blizz. tires for winter.

But the A/S is a good year round tire, if you wnat to keep it simple and you aren't hot rodding your GS.

Personally, I have found the PS'2 to be wonderful in dry and wet.
They hold the road and are super quiet, as you already know this b/c you have them on your other auto.

Honestly, if you want the best for the warmer season, the PS2 is better in every area I believe, but it you want to keep it simple get the A/S b/c that's year round....

Personally, I have and will purchase again, the PS2's for the summer months.
Jace, are the A/S's quieter and ride better than the Advans?
Same life or longer than the Advans?