Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Preowned Wheels - Good or Bad Idea?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-01, 05:13 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Preowned Wheels - Good or Bad Idea?

OK, none of you wheel experts - <cough> manaray <cough> roll your eyes, or bit-slap me, but are there sources out there for preowned wheels?

I mean, with wheels, I'm guessing the damage can be hidden more easily; cracks and srapes etc., but surely a good deal can be had like finding a gem of a preowned car.

Is it really a crap shoot, or can some traders / vendors be trusted? Are there any services that verify quality before they ship?

I can use my own common sense, but with wheels, there may be a ton of 'gotchas' out there I am unaware of.

Thanks
Old 12-24-01, 02:02 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Used wheels are pretty much a crap shoot...you just have to be able to trust the seller and hope that they're telling you the truth...sometimes, you can get great deals on wheels that were bought, but never installed (hint hint)...

And there are some cases, where the wheels will be completely re-done by the manufacturer and it'll come with a full warranty and will be as new in nearly every respect. (another hint hint)

Of course, things like this don't happen often but when they do, you should take advantage of it...
Old 12-26-01, 01:17 PM
dru
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is this an inside joke? I think I get the first (hint hint) but not really the second. Is the first one a "fell off the truck" sale?
Old 12-28-01, 02:39 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dru - Yes and No

...another CL member was selling some good wheels that were bought but never installed

The second part was something between me and Dex...