Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?
View Poll Results: Which Tire???
BFG KDW2
53.85%
Falken FK452
7.69%
Toyo Proxes4
30.77%
General Exclaim UHP
7.69%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Ultra High Performance Tire?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-07, 09:23 AM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ultra High Performance Tire?

I live in FL and I want a tire that handles well in dry and wet that also has a good treadwear. Im torn between BFG KDWs, Falken FK452s, Toyo Proxes4, and General Exclaim UHP (due to price and my brothers personal experience) I need inputs
Old 07-10-07, 02:40 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

BFG, all the others are junk...

I went from Generals to KDW's... 20-30% faster cornering speeds, no other changes made...

I would put the Bridgestone RE050 and RE01R on your list as well... RE-01R's will be my next set of tires (thought about RE050's, but the RE01R's look so much more appealing)
Old 07-10-07, 07:27 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

How are the BFGs in rain?? Does it hydroplane real bad? I live in FL and I want something that handles well in wet. As stated my brother loves his Generals. But Ive always wanted the BFGs, noise isnt really a big deal to me cause Im going to have an exhaust so I wouldnt hear it anyways.
Old 07-11-07, 06:34 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by iSuxeL
How are the BFGs in rain?? Does it hydroplane real bad? I live in FL and I want something that handles well in wet. As stated my brother loves his Generals. But Ive always wanted the BFGs, noise isnt really a big deal to me cause Im going to have an exhaust so I wouldnt hear it anyways.
Personally, I think they kick *** in the wet, especially when compared to other Dry/Wet performance tires... they did just as well, if not better than the Kumho ASX's, which are an all season tire, however, the Goodyear GS-D3 is a better wet performer than the KDW... Those are easy, direct comparisons... KDW is definitely among the top 5 wet weather performance tires you will find though...
Old 07-16-07, 05:53 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Well Ive made up my mind a few days ago, Ive seen my friend this past weekend and he has them on his S2, Ive always been in love with the tread pattern. So BFGs it is!! BTW thanks for you help. Ive seen your posts before about tires, looks like you been through a lot of tires
Old 07-16-07, 08:46 PM
lexus_tt
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I was in the market for new tires, I needed 255/35/19 up front and 275/35/19 out back.. i didnt see falken making any 255/35/19 so I went with a different company, Vredestein Sessanta, they are awesome.. I drive spirited on my way to work, on my way home, and when its drizzling, and these have really done it for me. Ive made turns with 30mph signs at 100mph and I barely feel them braking loose. I've made this turn at 90mph with same suspension setup with my toyo t1rs and I think 92mph was the fastest I went before I felt uncomfortable. The only tires from personal experience that I can say they are better than are toyo proxes t1r and falken 452. BFG is always a good choice as well.
Attached Thumbnails Ultra High Performance Tire?-36ce_1.jpg  
Old 07-17-07, 08:53 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Well Ive made up my mind a few days ago, Ive seen my friend this past weekend and he has them on his S2, Ive always been in love with the tread pattern. So BFGs it is!! BTW thanks for you help. Ive seen your posts before about tires, looks like you been through a lot of tires
Thanks, and I have... I at least try something new every time I need tires... I've also been through quite a few friends cars with many different tires as well...

I have also been on many tire comparison drive days and get to compare many many different tires...
Old 07-18-07, 08:36 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Wow, those Vredestein Sessanta look good! But I want something aggressive like the KDW2s. Thanks though.

Hey mitsuguy, can I ask you what you do??? I see your sig and Im curious as to how your knowledge in tires are so.
Old 07-18-07, 08:44 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Wow, those Vredestein Sessanta look good! But I want something aggressive like the KDW2s. Thanks though.

Hey mitsuguy, can I ask you what you do??? I see your sig and Im curious as to how your knowledge in tires are so.
7+ years of selling tires and vehicle repair...

For the past year, I've ran one location (of 11) of the largest independent vehicle repair shop in Las Vegas... We do everything on site except for internal engine work and internal trans work...
Old 07-18-07, 08:49 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Those Vredesteins seem to be ok... They run quite narrow however... I mounted a set on some IForge wheels for the SEMA show this past year for a Maserati...
fairly impressed by them during a 10 minute test drive, but the car also had a modified suspension setup and was an awesome car to start with... Unfortunately thats all I can give ya....
Old 07-19-07, 12:30 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

I guess I can take advice from a 7+ year veteran BFGs!! FTW
Old 07-29-07, 07:51 PM
Rare1
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've always like the Toyos. They are great performance tires.
Old 07-29-07, 07:54 PM
t0p_sh0tta
Rookie

Another vote for the BFGs from a former tire expert.
Old 07-29-07, 09:14 PM
Supraristo
Lexus Test Driver

BFG KDW2 on my Supra and love em!
Old 07-30-07, 12:18 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have the BFGs on my BMW 330i right now and they seem pretty darn good so far. OF those on your list I'd choose them. There are other tires I would buy that are not on your list, but since they are not listed I wont mention them.

Quick Reply: Ultra High Performance Tire?