Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Need Help with vibration on a Brand new Tire/Wheel Pkg. install

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-07, 09:59 AM
afaleti
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help with vibration on a Brand new Tire/Wheel Pkg. install

Got my Rims installed on Friday ... Dealing with vibration

I received my Tire & Rim package from TR on friday @ 6:30PM, I had them put on at a local NTB.

On my way home I noticed a very bad vibration around 55MPH

I called the shop and they advised that I toqued the bolts which did not make much difference.

I took the car back to NTB and had them rebalance the wheels, this made it a lot better but I still get the pulsation "slight vibration" on the steering at any speed over 55MPH?

The Rims are the brand new 18x8 Sport Edition ST4 by Tire Rack
The Tires are the 235/50ZR-18 BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDWS .....

Could it be a bad Rim / Tire ....

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Need Help with vibration on a Brand new Tire/Wheel Pkg. install-99ls_onclc.jpg  
Old 07-09-07, 08:24 AM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

What were the lug nuts torqued to? Lexus calls for only 76 ft./lbs and I've seen a few vibration issues that appeared to be partially from over-torquing.

Did the wheels come with hub-centric rings in them? Lexus are well-known for being sensitive to wheel hubcentricity and tire balance. If the tires were balanced properly it's probably due to a lack of hub rings.

It's possible that it's a tire issue, but unlikely; BFG makes a pretty good tire.
That being said, it would not be my first choice for an LS; for a conservative set-up like 18" (you probably did this to preserve ride quality) I personally would have gone with a high-end Michelin tire or similar. The KDWs aren't the greatest for noise & ride, in my opinion.
Old 07-09-07, 09:09 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalSC4
What were the lug nuts torqued to? Lexus calls for only 76 ft./lbs and I've seen a few vibration issues that appeared to be partially from over-torquing.

Did the wheels come with hub-centric rings in them? Lexus are well-known for being sensitive to wheel hubcentricity and tire balance. If the tires were balanced properly it's probably due to a lack of hub rings.

It's possible that it's a tire issue, but unlikely; BFG makes a pretty good tire.
That being said, it would not be my first choice for an LS; for a conservative set-up like 18" (you probably did this to preserve ride quality) I personally would have gone with a high-end Michelin tire or similar. The KDWs aren't the greatest for noise & ride, in my opinion.
he got KDWS's - a much tamer all season tire in comparison to the KDW...

My bet would be on a road force issue... meaning you might have a tire that's seated well on the wheel, or it just plain doesn't match up with a wheel... no wheel is perfectly round, nor is any tire, no matter how good of quality of either... what can happen if the high spot of the tire gets matched up with the high spot of the wheel is that you get a road force vibration - not a balance issue - something that can't be balanced out of the deal...

to determine this, you will need to find someone with a Hunter GSP9700 Road force balancer - it actually places road force on the assembly like it is rolling on the road - that will tell you where your problem is for sure...

NTB usually doesn't have these, however, if there is a Discount Tire in your area, they more than likely have one. Many independents and almost all car dealerships have them also...

follow this link to find someone close to you that has one...
http://www.gsp9700.com/pub/search/findgsp9700.cfm