Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?
View Poll Results: Quieter and Most confortable tires ?
Michelin Pilot Sport PS2
43.48%
Bridgestone Potenza S-02 Pole Position
5.80%
Yokohama ADVAN S.4
13.04%
Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position with UNI-T AQII
13.04%
Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S
11.59%
Goodyear Eagle ResponsEdge
2.90%
Bridgestone Turanza LS-Z with UNI-T AQII
10.14%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Quieter and Most confortable tires ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-07, 04:29 PM
timeToy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Post Quieter and Most confortable tires ?

Ok, so after 2000 miles, I have enough of the run flat tires, they are noisy and bumpy, this is unacceptable, what are the best tire when it comes to ride comfort and silence ?
Old 06-26-07, 05:14 PM
hughh
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I should not be answering, since my priorities for tires are different.

First and foremost, I look fot the best handling, steering feel and stopping in the wet. Following by the same parameters in the dry and lastly, but still important, ride and noise.

It's quite hard to evaluate tires. It's not like trying on a several pairs of shoes a store.

Some of my favorite tires have proved useless in a different model, same brand, even if they were higher performance.

With that said, I opened this week's AutoWeek mag yesterday and they had a test of two tires. The following is a capsule of the test.

Toyo Versado LX on a BMW 7 Series, road noise was almost nonexistent. Even with the radio muted, wind noise was predominant over anything emanating from the tires. Impact from road joints and raised Calif lane-devider markers were absorved with ease.

Goodyear Eagle F1 All Season was tested against two competing tires through a tight autocross and slalom course...saw the Goodyear provide superior grip levels and rsponsiveness in both dry and wet conditions.

Toyo came with two new cars I had and they proved to be the most slipery and dangerous tires I've ever had. But that was way back in 1981, a Z28 and a Maxima.

Goodyears I have owned proved to be almost as bad as the Toyo above. But they were not their vaunted F1 Eagle performance tire. In fact, Lexus sent owners a check to cover replacement costs for the fast wear tires that came as OE with Lexus cars. This was way back in mid 90's.

The Toyo is available now, The Goodyear arrives in July.

I hope you will find the right tire for you.

Hugh

Last edited by hughh; 06-26-07 at 05:26 PM.
Old 06-26-07, 07:42 PM
nate579
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would recommend Avon Tech M500, quiet, good performance and price. Highly recommended by TireRack. Beat out a lot of higher priced tires during thier proving ground test. I will probaly never purchased another brand after your these.
Old 06-26-07, 08:17 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by nate579
I would recommend Avon Tech M500, quiet, good performance and price. Highly recommended by TireRack. Beat out a lot of higher priced tires during thier proving ground test. I will probaly never purchased another brand after your these.
wow... I have never heard of anyone actually happy with noise quality and ride comfort with those tires.... they may handle decent with decent wet weather, but there is a reason Bridgestone and Michelin are the biggest tire manufacturers in the world...

PS2's are great, RE960's are awesome A/S tires that are definitely quiet to boot... I would have picked Turanza's but I like the 960's performance better... S-02 should be crossed off the list already... Yok's are great, but aren't known for their quietness over time - however, I don't have any true long term experience with them... Eagles I have a feeling will be good while new, however, again long term, I don't know...

RE960, Pilot Sport PS2 and Turanza LS-Z, are all guaranteed wins....

Pilot Exalto A/S (not sure why I left this one out) is a great all season tire, but doesn't impress me performance at all...
Old 06-26-07, 09:03 PM
nate579
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
wow... I have never heard of anyone actually happy with noise quality and ride comfort with those tires.... they may handle decent with decent wet weather, but there is a reason Bridgestone and Michelin are the biggest tire manufacturers in the world...

PS2's are great, RE960's are awesome A/S tires that are definitely quiet to boot... I would have picked Turanza's but I like the 960's performance better... S-02 should be crossed off the list already... Yok's are great, but aren't known for their quietness over time - however, I don't have any true long term experience with them... Eagles I have a feeling will be good while new, however, again long term, I don't know...

RE960, Pilot Sport PS2 and Turanza LS-Z, are all guaranteed wins....

Pilot Exalto A/S (not sure why I left this one out) is a great all season tire, but doesn't impress me performance at all...

Use most of those tires and wasn't impressed, because you are the biggest doesn't mean you are the best. But don't forget your experience maybe different depending on your driving and other factors. I would recommend going to tirerack site and look at their tests and recommendations from other users. $300.00 tires doesn't mean they are worth the money.
Old 06-26-07, 09:20 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by nate579
Use most of those tires and wasn't impressed, because you are the biggest doesn't mean you are the best. But don't forget your experience maybe different depending on your driving and other factors. I would recommend going to tirerack site and look at their tests and recommendations from other users. $300.00 tires doesn't mean they are worth the money.
correct on the price...

however...

tireracks reviews are not worth a ton... people think the cheapest tires on there are great... go ask any psychologist, people will base their reviews on what they paid versus how good it is...

there are lots of great cheap *** tires available that work OK... however, there are lots of awesome tires that work GREAT, but people are harder on their ratings because they cost more - they are more picky...

same reason people rate cheap *** cars as good - they don't mind the squeaks and rattles, whereas lexus drivers care about the smallest noise... it relates to price paid...
Old 06-27-07, 09:42 AM
nate579
Lexus Champion

touche' Good luck on his search.
Old 06-27-07, 02:36 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've said this before when these thread topics pop up....and I'll say it again. I've used many brands of performance tires in my 20+ years of performance driving. To me, Michelin PS2 is the best tire in the world. I've never used a Pirelli so I can't use personal experience. I have had several discussions with some who have and I believe I'm right. PS2 is quiet, comfy and performs. It does it all.

If you want a cheaper alternative, I just put some Nitto Invo's on my wife's GS. So far so good. Almost as quiet but performance can't touch the Michelins.
Old 06-27-07, 04:26 PM
timeToy
Lexus Test Driver

Default Toyo Versado LX

Anyone has experience with the Toyo Versado LX ? Ads are popping up all over the cars magazine, are really much quieter than the competition ? Or it is all marketing hype ?
Old 06-27-07, 04:39 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by timeToy
Anyone has experience with the Toyo Versado LX ? Ads are popping up all over the cars magazine, are really much quieter than the competition ? Or it is all marketing hype ?
looks to be built on the same basic green tire as the Nitto Invo... I'll do some digging and see what I can find...
Old 06-27-07, 06:08 PM
hughh
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by timeToy
New tire. I doubt you'll find anyone here who has had enough miles to quantify his testing.

This tire is targeted to everything from high-volume midsize sedans and minivans to full-size luxury cruisers, according to the article in AutoWeek.

If I had purchased my car instead of leasing, I think I'd probably spend the $$
for Michelin PS2 or Eagles F1, but that's just me.

Consumer Report chose the F1 as their top performing tire not long ago.
Old 07-08-07, 10:19 PM
kilawatts
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am running PS2's and they are very quiet and perform great!!!
Old 07-09-07, 08:28 AM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Based on your choices and priorities, Michelin hands-down.

Like automobiles, with tires you (for the most part) get what you get what you pay for.
Old 07-17-07, 02:00 PM
timeToy
Lexus Test Driver

I guess the Michelins take the cake !
Old 02-04-08, 02:51 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Now that I have time in on the Nitto Invo, I say.........DO NOT BUY THIS PIECE OF CRAP TIRE!

Quick Reply: Quieter and Most confortable tires ?