Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Where do the small wheels go??

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-07, 03:53 PM
onree
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where do the small wheels go??

I see so many people getting up-size wheels. If 16" is good, hey 17" must be better. If 17" is good, 19" must be better, right?? If 19" is good.... oh, well. Taken to an extreme, some of these look like they belong on a Wells-Fargo stage coach instead of a car.

Anyway, what happens to all those dinky little 15" and 16" OEM wheels that used to be on the Big Wheels cars? I need a couple of 15" replacements for my Lexus ('96 Coach Edition 300ES) after sliding into a tall curb at high speed on the ice.
I would think that there would be a lot of really cheap 15" wheels around, because it appears that on one wants them anymore. Are wheels like this at all common? What should I expect to pay for something like this? Thanks.
Onree

I'm a noobie, (my first post) and putting this here 'cause I'm just gathering info so far. I'm really not sure if I want to replace my damaged wheels, or just get a new set of four from one of the usual vendors. If it belongs in the classifieds, someone let me know. And I really am curious where all those unwanted little wheels go.
Attached Thumbnails Where do the small wheels go??-lexuswheel.jpg  
Old 05-10-07, 06:07 PM
bb430
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it weren't bent too bad, why don't you have it repaired?
Old 05-10-07, 06:24 PM
onree
Driver School Candidate

One was bent. the other both bent and badly chewed up on the outside. One not repairable, the other could be straightened, but would never really look good. That's what the wheel guy said anyway.
Onree
Old 05-10-07, 08:30 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by onree
One was bent. the other both bent and badly chewed up on the outside. One not repairable, the other could be straightened, but would never really look good. That's what the wheel guy said anyway.
Onree
I have seen some ****TY wheels refinished to look like new... so long as the center disk is not bent (almost impossible), then they can be repaired - I've seen wheels with large chunks missing on the outer lip repaired back to good as new...

I would ask around... however, why not a decent set of aftermarket wheels? nothing fancy, just something that looks decent... many 15/16" aftermarket wheels in silver or machined aluminum finish can be found for $100 / wheel or so...
Old 05-12-07, 06:55 PM
onree
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the advice, mitsuguy. I took them to a different place, and he said they could be straightened, although one of them probably won't look perfect. I should get them back Tuesday, and will let you know how they turned out.
Onree