Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

What will Stainless Steel brake Lines do for my SC430?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-07, 08:28 AM
rclab1
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What will Stainless Steel brake Lines do for my SC430?

Newbie Questions.....

First off, I don't really like the smushy feel off my brakes when depressed,
is it true that upgrading to Stainless Steel brake Lines increase my brake pedal feel?

I have OEM brakes on as for now.... and planning on upgrading to Rotora Rotors and Hawk ceramic pads very soon....

.....bottom line is, what do Stainless steel brake lines do if I have the OEM brake set up?
Old 05-09-07, 03:11 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

going with the stainless steel lines will improve the pedal travel. But don't expect a change in stopping distance or dramatic difference in pedal feel. I've never felt an OEM Toyota brake that felt good. They're all mushy and lack feel. If you want more feel and response, upgrade to some big brake kit.
Old 05-09-07, 03:48 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
going with the stainless steel lines will improve the pedal travel. But don't expect a change in stopping distance or dramatic difference in pedal feel. I've never felt an OEM Toyota brake that felt good. They're all mushy and lack feel. If you want more feel and response, upgrade to some big brake kit.
I agree...

I have always been a big proponent of not needing stainless lines 99% of the time...

it typically increases pedal feel about 5%, maybe less depending on car...

what I would recommend, however, is getting the fluid replaced and bled with a good quality brake fluid... this will achieve about 95% of what going to stainless lines would (as most of the perceived better pedal feel with SS lines is really that the person just replaced fluid and bled the system)
Old 05-09-07, 06:28 PM
rclab1
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ????????

so what you are saying is that too keep my OEM brake lines for now and bleed off my brake fluids?

what brake fluids do you recommend? OEM or a special aftermarket one?

will keeping my OEM brake lines and replacing with aftermarket brake fluid increase my brake pedal feel (in other words, sort of does what SS brake lines do?)

thanks....
Old 05-09-07, 10:03 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

OE fluid works well, I personally like Motul fluids... and there are plenty of others out there too...

chances are that if it's been a while since the brakes have been bled, this will give you a much better pedal feel... similar to installing ss lines...

now, ss lines might be better still, but again, against a properly functioning brake system, you would be hard pressed to tell the difference...