Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

NEED HELP quick! anyone??? (ABS light on)

Old 11-27-01, 09:15 AM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post NEED HELP quick! anyone???

Oh man, i dropped my sister off at john wayne aiport the other day and i turned off my engine to get the luggage out. When I started the car again, my ABS light stayed on!

Then I couldn't put the gear into drive and the sheriff guy came up to my car and told me to move, but i couldn't get into gear! I finally rolled down my windows, and pushed the little button so I can override the system to unlock the shifter. Now my power windows will not roll up and I still can't put it into ANY gear at all! It's in my garage now, just sitting there, helpless. I need help fast! My ABS light is still on too! Did I mention that my power steering is out of wack? I just had it replaced and there's plenty of fluid under the hood. What's wrong with my baby???? I could start the car, but i can't do anything else unless i push the little button to override the lock system........
Old 11-27-01, 09:48 AM
Black94RX-7TT
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like a dying battery or alternator. ABS pumps use some serious power, and if it doesn't perform diagnostics correctly because it can't get enough juice, the computer will get all pissy. Does it crank slow? Electrical gremlins are hard to trace.
Old 11-27-01, 10:57 AM
c_irie
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
Angry

yup ..it seems quite a few of us are having the dreaded pwr steering and alternator problem I've changed both of mine in the past 6 months maybe we ought to look into some type of recall on these items huh ?
Old 11-27-01, 01:01 PM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

what do you mean by "does it crank slow?" also, i just replaced my power steering pump not too long ago. I used OEM parts, so it shouldn't be a problem. Maybe the battery or the alternator??? If so, should i get a larger alternator? this sucks!
Old 11-27-01, 01:44 PM
Black94RX-7TT
Pole Position

Does it crank slow: When you turn the key does it sound like the starter is turning the engine at the same speed, or slower than normal?

As for a larger alternator, there's probably no need for that....unless you have a monster stereo or other non-factory electricity hog components.
Old 11-27-01, 09:40 PM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

i think the starter is fine. starts just the same. i do run a multi-media system in the car so i might need to. SO it's agreed upon, it's the alternator??? how much is the lexus OEM alternator?
Old 11-28-01, 04:26 AM
Keith13b
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey man, TEST the alternator and the battery before you go buying a new one.
Old 11-28-01, 08:13 AM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

Unhappy

will do. thanks. i'm going to take the car in to my mechanic either today or tomorrow. i have school all day. I haven't drove it since!
Old 05-31-04, 09:34 AM
CreoleKid
Driver School Candidate

AutoCoutureSC,

I have the same problem with my 94 LS 400. I have changed my battery since the problem with no luck still. Initially, i had the ABS light problem (pwr windows, sunroof and power steering would not work) but it was intermitent, then later I noticed the car was cranking pretty slow ( i fiqured it was a seperate problem). Eventually the ABS light came on again and has not gone off since. My wife left the lights on one night and the next moring the battery was totaly dead and I could not recharge it. Now I have a brand new battery, but the ABS light is still on and my windows, sunroof and pwr steering are still not working and I have to use the overide button to shift out of park. I'm thinking it has got to be a fuse of some sort or maybe even a short someplace. If you ever figure it out please let me know. Thanks.
Old 05-31-04, 09:41 AM
Suprast4R
Pole Position

dang and just to think she was running fine on friday night.
Old 05-31-04, 09:46 AM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

another two people respond to a 3 year old post...
Old 05-31-04, 09:53 AM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

HOLY CRAP! this thread is OLD!

man, this thread is old! anyhow, it turned out that when i was driving radio-less, two wires touched metal and i had a short. blew fuse, replaced, and instant fix. FYI.
Old 05-31-04, 09:54 AM
CreoleKid
Driver School Candidate

does it matter that it is 3 years old if someone could help me? Obviously people are still looking at the thread because you did.
Old 05-31-04, 09:56 AM
CreoleKid
Driver School Candidate

AutoCoutureSC,

Hey thanks man. I hoped it was a fuse. Beleive it or not I have been everywhere looking for someone who had this problem.
Old 05-31-04, 09:57 AM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

hehe, no problem. check the fuse in the engine bay, if not then look for the box near the footwell driver's side.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: NEED HELP quick! anyone??? (ABS light on)