Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

HELP- Extreme Tire Wear Issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-07, 10:43 AM
ted920
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HELP- Extreme Tire Wear Issue

Fellow Club Lexus Members:

I have a 2nd Gen GS 300 with Symbolic 3-Piece Forged 20" wheels.

I have Eibach Springs that drop the car approx 1.25 inches.

My issue is that I am having extreme tire wear issues in the rear. Both tires are wearing out mostly from the inside as opposed to the outside (near the fender). I seem to have only got 5,000 miles out of my current set and now need new tires.

I have had a high tire pressure (approx 47 psi).

What do I need to do to fix this time wear problem?
Is it an alignement issue? If so, what do I need to get adjusted to fix the problem?

Your help is most appreciated, as I need a solution to this costly problem.

Many thanks,
Ted
Old 03-28-07, 10:53 AM
yuji's_gs_
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you get your car aligned after you installed the Eibachs? If not, thats the culprit. For it to wear out that quickly, its the a toe out situation on the rears.

Yuji
Old 04-03-07, 06:23 AM
ted920
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does this mean that when I go and get an alignment, I need to tell them to bring the "toe in"?

This should solve the inside tire wear issue? I assume then that the tire will wear more evenly as a result.

How many miles should I be getting out of my rear tires after alignment issues are solved?

Thanks much.

Ted
Old 04-03-07, 07:45 AM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Excessive Toe OUT can wear out a new tire in less than 5000 miles. Depending on the severity of the toe out, it can go even faster than that.

The Factory Toe specs for the GS will call out for some level of Toe In. (No time right now for me to look it up) Even if you can't achieve the factory toe spec, any level of Toe IN will be a lot better than Toe Out.

Many people will blame the excessive camber for your wear, but this is only part of the equation. High tire pressure and very low profile tires will also contribute to making this situation worse. Following this advice can get you SIGNIFICANTLY more milage, even if your camber is not to spec.

There are also several other items that you need to check and try in addition to adjusting Toe. See the thread link I provided below.

I'm leaving for the airport right now on a business trip, and this will be my ONLY response for today and probably for several days depending how busy I get.

So in the interest of time I will direct you to comments that TM Engineering and myself made on this thread. It comments on front end camber, but the same basic principles apply to rear alignment:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...=74705&page=10

Start with Todd's comments on post #147

Good Luck

Last edited by RMMGS4; 04-03-07 at 08:03 AM.
Old 04-03-07, 02:03 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

correct correct correct...

rear toe is evil when it comes to tire wear...

I run -2.5 degrees camber, with realistic toe numbers and I have almost flat tire wear (just a little more on the inside)...

I don't recall the specific settings, but just a hair toe in should be what you are shooting for...
Old 04-03-07, 02:06 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by ted920
Does this mean that when I go and get an alignment, I need to tell them to bring the "toe in"?

This should solve the inside tire wear issue? I assume then that the tire will wear more evenly as a result.

How many miles should I be getting out of my rear tires after alignment issues are solved?

Thanks much.

Ted
Tell them to get the alignment as close to stock as possible, with emphasis on toe, not camber (camber should be close to spec when done, but toe, as mentioned, is the most important)

As far as how many miles- depends on how bad they are now, and what tires you use... I just realized I have about 15k on my BFG KDW's, and have been running -2.5 camber for 5k of that, and they are wearing beautifully - will get at least 5k, probably 10k more out of them, which I will be happy with (at which time I'm going to try out Bridgestones RE050's for comparison)

your high tire pressure is probably contributing to your problem as well... lower tire pressure allows the tire to "flatten out", whereas high tire pressure makes the tire hold its shape, so any camber issues are exaggerated because the tire is made to stay on its shoulder more...
Old 04-05-07, 10:14 AM
osx-addict
Driver

I just took my '06 GS300 in for new tires (at 15K miles) and the guy was showing me just how bad the alignment was on it -- the inside edge of the front tires were just about bald and I could actually see a small piece of belt.. Sure, I should have checked the alignment before, but it's a friggin new car and I've never whacked the curb or anything -- I guess I would have figured the alignment to be better than that.. Oh well.. Another $500 for tires out and gone.. Luckily I'm getting my $65 alignment tomorrow morning... Should solve the problem for now.. I guess I might have to start getting annual alignments just to verify things are not out of whack.
Old 04-05-07, 02:52 PM
sleeper408

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

I am really interested in learning more about toe and camber. Does anyone have a diagram or link they can provide me with?
Old 04-09-07, 02:02 PM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

You need to run 32psi as well you will need to have an alignment done to keep it from having inner wear. 47psi is dangerously tooo high. The good thing is your located in connecticut which gives you alot of cold days but once summer hits and you leave 47psi in your tires and your driving on the high you must expect your pressure to increase to atleast 52-53psi which is (BLOW OUT) psi.
Old 04-09-07, 03:54 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by TACH_MOTOR
You need to run 32psi as well you will need to have an alignment done to keep it from having inner wear. 47psi is dangerously tooo high. The good thing is your located in connecticut which gives you alot of cold days but once summer hits and you leave 47psi in your tires and your driving on the high you must expect your pressure to increase to atleast 52-53psi which is (BLOW OUT) psi.
Please educate yourself before you spout out all kinds of mis information...

Many performance tires are designed to run up to 50 psi COLD temperatures - other than maybe not having great performance and/or bad tire wear, there is nothing wrong with running the max inflation shown on the sidewall...

Again, with many Euro-metric tires (245/40-ZR-18) for example, 50 psi is not an issue, just don't go over the max pressure listed on the sidewall when cold ...