Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Time to replace 17" tires on GS430; looking for recommendations...

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-01, 09:57 AM
SCWells72
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Time to replace 17" tires on GS430; looking for recommendations...

As part of my 15K servicing yesterday, I was told that I have about 1K more miles before I'll need to replace the 17" Bridgestones that came with the car. The quote for direct replacement tires, installation, and alignment was $1,500 by the dealer, but the service manager told me to check out NTB, etc., for a much better deal.

So I thought I'd solicit you guys' wisdom on the topic: what tires should I get as long as it's time to replace them anyway?

I'm not planning to change the rims, so I'm looking for tires that fit the Lexus stock 17" rims. I'd prefer that the replacements be no louder than the original tires, and I'd also like a good sporty feel as well. I don't want to have to replace rubber any more often than 15K miles, and better longevity is ideal!

So what do you guys think? Is there something out there that meets even a few of those stipulations?

Thanks in advance for the advice!
Old 11-25-01, 10:21 AM
SCWells72
Lead Lap

Lightbulb Here's what I have so far...

Looking at tirerack.com, it appears that the best candidates are the same Bridgestone Potenza S-03 Pole Positions and the Yokohama AVS dB, both 235/45-17s.

Obviously I'm familiar with the stock tires. Does anyone have an opinion on the Yokohamas? Specifically, has anyone put those on after having the stock tires and therefore can draw a direct comparison?

Thanks again...
Old 11-25-01, 12:45 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Check out the Toyo T1-S. Nice tire. Toyo FZ4 is probably quieter, cheaper and a longer tread life.

Almost anything will have a better tread life than the Potenza.
Old 11-25-01, 02:01 PM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

I'd suggest checking out the Michelin XGT/Z4s. I had them on my '98 GS400 and loved them. Excellent dry and wet performance. Expect to get 25-30k from them.
Old 11-25-01, 03:33 PM
TMan
Driver School Candidate

I went with Yoko AVSdb and am quite satisfied over the Potenzas
Old 11-25-01, 08:37 PM
JacobT

Scott,

If you're looking for longevity, you better get Michelin XGT/Z4's. Yoko and Potenza are high performance tires but they only last for around 10k miles
Old 11-25-01, 08:49 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,297 Posts

I've got the Potenza S-03 Pole Positions on my factory 17's and am very pleased with them thus far.

I replaced a set of S-02 Pole Postions (got about 15K out of them and replaced them probably a bit before I needed to).

The S-02s were the first set of tires I had on the 17's (had crappy 16 inch wheels/tires previously). S-03s are quieter and handle noticably better in wet conditions.

Can't compare them through personal experience with the Yokos, but I believe that there is another 'max performance' AVS beyond the db. I compared the db to the S-03's because I liked the idea of what sounded like good mix of decent performance and quiet. The reviews on the Bridgestones sounded better, however - and that's what I ended up with.

Very happy with my purchase and the way they work with the factory 17s.
Old 11-26-01, 05:48 AM
theanimala
Lead Lap

I just recently went with Dunlop SP5000s. So far, I like them quite a bit. Much better then the Potenza's. I think anything will be a huge step up from those tires.
Old 11-26-01, 03:23 PM
SCWells72
Lead Lap

Question

theanimala/RealMarty:

What are the sound levels like on the Dunlop SP5000s and the Michelin XGT/Z4s? Are they pretty quiet? As quiet as (quieter than?) stock?

I'm leaning toward the Dunlops right now...

Thanks for all the good advice!
Old 11-26-01, 06:35 PM
theanimala
Lead Lap

I have never heard the XGT's, but I can vouch for the quietness of the Dunlops. They are seriously quieter then then stock Potenza's, I mean not only close. I have to admit, I did not even think about it until yesterday when I was driving and I was like, "what is that noise?" I then realized it was wind noise, something I never really heard before because of those damn tires.
Old 11-26-01, 06:36 PM
Shogun
Driver

Default I have the FZ4s

For the past year I've had the Toyo FZ4s on my GS400. In my opinion, based on my driving habits, they are the most value-oriented tires bar none.

My habits:
I push it hard a couple of times a day on straight aways, I do not autocross, I do not go to the drag strip and I take corners at 75% of MY max.

My needs:
An all season tire that handles wet and dry. I live in GA so snow is rarely an issue although I do hedge my bets with the "all-season" rating. I wanted a "Z" rated tire not because I drive 150+mph but because I want the stiffer sidewall that's associated with sharper cornering.

Also, I don't want to pay for performance when I rarely, if ever, will use the tire to its full capabilities. The other equation is the want for an aggressive tread pattern "look", performance orientation and a long tread life. Last but not least, I want a tire that I don't feel guilty about having to replace due to its high cost.

It came down to a few tires - most of which had little brand recognition which to me equates to trust but they may be great tires (Kumo, Sumitomo, Falken, etc) and/or the need to drop to a lower speed rating; i.e. "H" rated which is a hugh no-no for me.

The end result in my search for this Holy Grail was the Toyo FZ4. Aggressive looking, "Z" rated, all season, quiet (compared to OEM), 300 tread wear rating and a super price. I would recommend going to a 245/45/17 vs. 235/45/17 and in Atlanta that runs $117 per tire from the local shop.

I've been extremely pleased with my FZ4's and will purchase them again UNLESS I find another name brand tire with all the above at a similar price and only then will I reconsider not purchasing the FZ4. Again, I'm much more into value than ensuring that I can extract the maximum performance out of tire.

Recent past experiences include:
Comp T/As - Z rated on my SHO
Eagle F1's on my C5
The OEM Bridgestones on the GS4

Best of Luck,
Eric
Old 11-27-01, 12:27 PM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by SCWells72
theanimala/RealMarty:

What are the sound levels like on the Dunlop SP5000s and the Michelin XGT/Z4s? Are they pretty quiet? As quiet as (quieter than?) stock?

I'm leaning toward the Dunlops right now...

Thanks for all the good advice!
The Michelin's are significantly quieter than the POS Potenzas. I don't find them noisy at all but I do 95% of my driving with the windows closed.
Old 11-27-01, 03:25 PM
Christian
Pole Position

I don't know if you get the same tires like me in germany. I would go for Dunlop SP 9000, Continental Sport Contact II or Pirelli P Zero Rosso.
Old 11-28-01, 02:42 PM
SCWells72
Lead Lap

1sicklex, how many miles have you traditionally gotten out of your Potenzas? I have to admit that I'm hoping to get closer to 20-25K miles out of my replacement tires.

I know that all of the GS430 literature states that the 17" tires may not last even 15K miles, but my wife will KILL me if I'm replacing tires that often!

It's worth noting that while I slide the back end around corners occassionally, I don't really whitesmoke the tires or anything. I guess in generally I'm probably better on my rubber than many around here...
Old 12-27-01, 02:40 AM
Navaz
Pole Position

I totaly agree with 1SICKLEX, I have been running the 730's scince they came out, at first I was sceptable now I love them...
I have Aprox 130K Miles on my GS 4, Gone through lots of tire's, last set SO2 they lasted 10K Km.
Don't ever buy Gt4's they last a while but unless You drive like Grandma they suck.
I was thinking of trying Khumo's next but I guess I'll pass now. What's the problem with them anyway?
*** Far as winter tire's Bridgestone blizzak LM 22 the way to go. Great performance winter tire. Did I mention I live in Canada. I know snow!!!

Quick Reply: Time to replace 17" tires on GS430; looking for recommendations...