Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Knockoff Wheels-Who makes 'em?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-01, 08:20 PM
lexcoupe94
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Knockoff Wheels-Who makes 'em?

I've always wondered how different wheel companies can offer products that are exact copies of other designs without getting sued for infringement of copyright. There must be at least half a dozen copies of Lowenhart's designs, for example. Theories:
-There are really only a handful of manufacturers that actually make the product; they sell some under their own name, and wholesale the rest to other outfits who then rebadge and resell. This is true for tires and other auto parts-makes sense that wheel companies would do it too. The big guys get to move lots of product, and the smaller outfits save on capital investment for factories and manufacturing equipment. (Business 101)
-The manufacturers make some product and license others to make product and sell it as their own.
-Patents are not enforced?
Probably some combination of all these. Manaray, you're the expert-inquiring minds wanna know.
Old 11-20-01, 12:29 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Knockoff Wheels-Who makes 'em?

Originally posted by lexcoupe94
I've always wondered how different wheel companies can offer products that are exact copies of other designs without getting sued for infringement of copyright. There must be at least half a dozen copies of Lowenhart's designs, for example. Theories:
-There are really only a handful of manufacturers that actually make the product; they sell some under their own name, and wholesale the rest to other outfits who then rebadge and resell. This is true for tires and other auto parts-makes sense that wheel companies would do it too. The big guys get to move lots of product, and the smaller outfits save on capital investment for factories and manufacturing equipment. (Business 101)
-The manufacturers make some product and license others to make product and sell it as their own.
-Patents are not enforced?
Probably some combination of all these. Manaray, you're the expert-inquiring minds wanna know.
those knock-off companies probably copy the design before the originals can be patented. who knows, I hope some of those companies get sued. Should be interesting. Konig will collapse the next day or so.
Old 11-21-01, 04:30 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

There a FEW instances where "private labeling" or "re-labeling" happens. Most Dazz branded wheels are "re-labeled" Japanese wheels...

In Japan, there are a few manufactures who "private label" some wheels so that their customers can have a complete "brand-x" car (body kit and wheels usually)...

Much like Brabus, Carlsson, Lorinser, AC Schnitzer, Hartge, etc...most Euro tuners offer wheels and most people who mod their Euro cars stick with one brand...a Brabus body kit with Carlsson wheels would be...uh...wrong.

However, all American knock-off manufactures just copy the wheels...in most cases, they're of inferior quality and many times, they fake the funk even more by making a one piece wheel "look" like a "multi-piece" wheel (with fake rivets around the edge of the disk)...pretty WEAK!

I WISH brands like Konig, ADR, G-Racing, etc. all got their asses sued off...talk about "leech" companies...
Old 11-23-01, 10:04 PM
Kaban
Lead Lap

In the U.S. there are certain things you can't patent. Rim designs are one of them. When a wheel company advertise they have patened their rims it's certainly not the design. Just like KFC can't sue you if you figure out their recipe and sell chickens as good as theirs.

But yeah, knock off companies are annoying.
Old 11-24-01, 05:08 AM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is Mahdi Caesar a knock-off company?

Can someone post a list of knock-off companies?

Manuel
Old 11-24-01, 08:01 PM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
oh man, you should drive down LA and see all the knock off wheels on the street. i'm tired of seeing my expensive rims on everybody's car and their grandma's too! damn konig's.
Old 11-27-01, 03:45 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

GS4fun - Well, if you look at the Mahdi Caesar wheel, you'll notice that it looks almost like the SSR Agle Minerva...not an exact knock-off (like what Konig does) but pretty close...if it were me, I would buy the SSR Agle Minervas instead...
Old 11-29-01, 06:10 PM
EmoDragRacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Get a set of DAYTONS' 108 spoke GOLD they are KNOCK OFFS' lol
Old 11-29-01, 10:50 PM
Static911

I do understand about knockoff rims (even knockoff bodykits)

Just know you have the geniune ones. I guess you don't need to brag to everyone, but as long as you know you did something the "right way," heh...screw the rest

PS: I plan to put kockoff 21" on my car....I wonder if that will be as expensive as REAL 19"...J/K!!

static911