Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

LD-1s details help

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-01, 05:31 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default LD-1s details help

Hi all,

I have been contemplating puchasing the LTuned OZ 18" staggered setup but I am starting to consider polished LD-1s as alternatives. Because of cost constraints (now and future maintainance), I think I will still be staying with an 18" staggered setup.

I tried to read as much of the old threads as I could but I still have questions.

1. I saw some mention of the weight of this wheel possibly decreasing the performance of the engine and brake. Most of the thread dealt with 20"s. Are 18"s just as bad?

2. It seems like the 18"s will be better against damage vs. the larger diameters. Is this true?

3. I will probably go with Kumho tires from tire rack as many here seems to think they are OK. If this is the case, what width sizes of tire/wheel combo would you recommend?

4. What are the performance pros and cons of going with the staggered set up? Is it just a looks thing? Is it just as good to go with a non-staggered setup.

5. Is it better to go with a non-staggered set up to help tire rotation/tire wear? Does it really save that many miles? If not, I'd rather go staggered.

6. What have some of you done about the spare? For those with non-staggered setups, do you buy a real 5th wheel (in this case another LD-1)? Seems pretty costly for a spare. For those with staggered setups, what size do you buy? I have 16"s on my GS3. Will this spare work just as well since spares should really be used as a temporary measure?

7. I will be getting the LTuned suspension and ECU from Steve some time this week. Should I wait for the my new wheels (whatever they may be) to install the suspension? Is it bad to drive the stock 16"s with the LTuned suspension?

8. Where are reputable, "inexpensive" places to buy LD-1s? I saw several in reading the old posts. Since people buy wheels all the time, feedback on different places may have changed over time so I am just reiterating the question.

9. What places should I avoid?

Thanks for any feedback.

- Christian -
98 Bronze GS300
stock (for now)
Old 11-21-01, 04:43 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Neo...

OK, even in 18", the LD-1's are heavy. It won't be as bad as 20" LD-1 but they're going to be heavier than the stock 17's.

Any size tire can be damaged. That's the first rule of thumb. 18" in GENERAL are more damage resistant than 19" or 20" but trust me, you can easily damage a 18" wheel too...just be careful...

Tire size will depend on your wheel size. For the front, a 245 size tire will work fine, for the rear (if you stagger), 265 or 275 will work fine...

Staggered setups offer better looks and with a nice fat rear tire, it gets the power to the ground a little better...however, with a NA GS300, a 245 would be good enough (let's face it, the GS300 doesn't put down world-beating power...)

Spares make NO difference on a staggered vs non-staggered setup...the ONLY time it makes a difference is when you have a big-brake kit (or even the Supra kit)...with those, you'll want a spare that clear the brakes...or have friends that own flat-beds or a tow service

Put the L-Tuned on...it won't hurt you stock wheels...you should notice some better handling even with the stock 16's...but for even better handling, you should consider the TRD sway bar upgrade (or any brand like TOM's) and some sort of Strut Tower Bar (STB) upgrade (UGO, TOM's, TRD, etc.)...those will make a HUGE difference in handling...even on the stock 16" donuts...

To get some LD-1's for the best price, you'll have to shop around and make the shops fight for your business...

Places to avoid is ANY shop that "suggests" looking at Katana's instead of getting the real LD-1's!
Old 11-21-01, 04:41 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Thanks

Hi Manaray,

Thanks for the info. So what you are saying is:

- The spare 16" should be OK.

- The LTuned wheels are 235/40 8 (front) and 265/35 9.5 (rear). Are you suggesting 245/40 8? 8.5? (front) and 265 or 275/35 9.5? 10? (rear)? These are just a bit wider. Are the LTuned specs just conservative to prevent rubbing?

- I will not get any (even marginal) benefit from having a staggered setup (other that looks).
Old 11-22-01, 06:15 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Neo,

Yes, the 16" spare should be fine so long as you don't get any larger brake kits (Supra TT setup or the larger AP Racing/Brembos)

245 on 8.5" and 275 on a 9.5"...you can do 275 on a 10" works ok too but the tires are bit undersized on a 10"...

Yes, the L-Tuned setup is rather conservative...

As for staggering, you're not going to get a HUGE technical benefit...but it'll look nice. HOWEVER, you can NOT rotate your tires...and if you get DIRECTIONAL tires AND a staggered setup, you can't even swap sides! Kinda sucks but like the saying goes...if you're going to play, you gotta pay...