Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Dilemma With 20' Wheels For My GS. HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-07, 12:28 PM
7asteroid7
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dilemma With 20' Wheels For My GS. HELP!

This is my second post regarding the same issue, but I really need help.

I finally received the wheels (size 20x8.5, offset +25) I bought as the seller claimed I wouldn't have any problems with these on my '05 GS430.

With these specs, one of the members here says I'll probably have to modify the fenders for the fronts and that'll be that, but the tire shops I called so far say that the offset is too much, the tire will be sticking out at least an inch in the front and there'll be lots of rubbing, putting aside the fact that it'll look bad, and there's nothing that can be done about it. They suggest I return the wheels, that I was duped by the seller.

My question is, should I keep the wheels and modify the fenders (does anyone know how you can do this?), or return the wheels?

Any input would be greatly appreciated, specially by those of you who have 20's in your 2nd gen GS.
Old 01-17-07, 12:40 PM
jayyyy
Driver

what kind of wheels are these? you can roll the fenders i wouldn't think it would cost too much. 2-400?
Old 01-17-07, 12:58 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It will depend on the drop. As the car is lowered, the top of the wheel tips inwards (neg camber). With +25 and a nice drop, it should not stick out 1". You will need to modify the fenders though. I am not sure about running the usual 245 tires, though. I usually do not venture past +30s (with 8.5) in the front so I'll let the guys who are more adventurous confirm.
Old 01-17-07, 01:08 PM
thegoat23
Driver School Candidate

Hey man I read about your dilema. I have 20's on my '99 gs 300. It rubs when i turn but not too much. It doesn't stick out like people are saying, but the rubbing is for real. The fenders have to be modified a bit but not the extent of the car looking different. The only thing that will look different is the look of your car from original to a pimp car. So i tell you that don't return the rims it will fit the car perfect and you'll enjoy it alot. The seller didn't jack you 20 by 8.5 is a perfect fit. As a matter of fact, you can even put '22's with very low profile tires 30 series, it's up to you. Oh! and before i let you go going under 20inches on a car like that isn't worth it. Might as well stay with the stock rims cuz going 19's will leave a big gap and it will look ugly!
But i wish you luck with your gs. look forward on hearing your feed back once their on.
Old 01-17-07, 01:22 PM
Neo
The One

Originally Posted by thegoat23
The seller didn't jack you 20 by 8.5 is a perfect fit.
It all depends on offsets.
Old 01-17-07, 03:45 PM
7asteroid7
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jayyyy
what kind of wheels are these? you can roll the fenders i wouldn't think it would cost too much. 2-400?
Roll the fenders? It's my first time modifying a car, so I don't know much about it. Could you explain?
Attached Images  
Old 01-17-07, 03:47 PM
7asteroid7
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by thegoat23
Hey man I read about your dilema. I have 20's on my '99 gs 300. It rubs when i turn but not too much. It doesn't stick out like people are saying, but the rubbing is for real. The fenders have to be modified a bit but not the extent of the car looking different. The only thing that will look different is the look of your car from original to a pimp car. So i tell you that don't return the rims it will fit the car perfect and you'll enjoy it alot. The seller didn't jack you 20 by 8.5 is a perfect fit. As a matter of fact, you can even put '22's with very low profile tires 30 series, it's up to you. Oh! and before i let you go going under 20inches on a car like that isn't worth it. Might as well stay with the stock rims cuz going 19's will leave a big gap and it will look ugly!
But i wish you luck with your gs. look forward on hearing your feed back once their on.
Thanks for the input. Will let you know how it all went.
Old 01-17-07, 03:51 PM
LEXSOOS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

going 19's will leave a big gap and it will look ugly!
I don't think so, buddy.....

20x8.5 +25 will work with moded fenders and smaller tire, however
If you don't feel comfortable doing any fender mods, than send the wheels back and get your money back
Old 01-17-07, 04:01 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Since this is your 3 or 4th post about this same topic, I take it that your seller did not make your comfortable in their competence (thus your search for a 2nd, 3rd, 4th opinion). In my opinon if you dont feel comfortable that they are for you just dont get them.

1pc cast 20x8.5" non staggered wheels are not at ALL hard to come by at cheap prices so its not like they are the last good deal on earth!

Good luck with your decision
Old 01-17-07, 07:02 PM
Neo
The One

Originally Posted by D2-AUTOSPORT
Since this is your 3 or 4th post about this same topic, I take it that your seller did not make your comfortable in their competence (thus your search for a 2nd, 3rd, 4th opinion). In my opinon if you dont feel comfortable that they are for you just dont get them.

1pc cast 20x8.5" non staggered wheels are not at ALL hard to come by at cheap prices so its not like they are the last good deal on earth!

I agree with D2. It seems like you'd like something more "plug and play". This set is definitely not that. Return them and then talk to D2.
Old 01-17-07, 07:37 PM
7asteroid7
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by D2-AUTOSPORT

It's not a matter of discomfort, it's a matter of lack of knowledge on the subject matter. In sixteen years of driving all types of cars, it's my first time ever modifying one. Quite honestly, it's also the first time I'm learning about "offsets" and whatnot. Didn't know getting some wheels and proper tires for my GS was so complicated, thus my asking a 3rd, 4th, and 5th opinion if needed, as long as that's okay with the members here I would think.

I don't need to tell anyone 20s aren't cheap, after the money I spent on them I don't want to be facing unneccessary problems, I just wanna install them and run.

So once again, I don't know whether I should feel comfortable or uncomfortable. Members here seem to be okay with my wheel specs, but tire shops where I live seem to have a different opinion. My other car has 20s too, but that's the way it was sold to me by the dealer. The GS is another story.

People are talking about "fender modifications." How do you do that, how much does it cost app., and does it solve the problem?

Thank you.
Old 01-17-07, 07:56 PM
Neo
The One

Originally Posted by 7asteroid7
Didn't know getting some wheels and proper tires for my GS was so complicated
LOL. This would be the case for any car.

I just wanna install them and run.
If this is the case, i.e plug and play, then this is not the set for you.

So once again, I don't know whether I should feel comfortable or uncomfortable. Members here seem to be okay with my wheel specs, but tire shops where I live seem to have a different opinion.
The specs is workable but you will need to modify the front. The problem I have with this set is that it is too agressive for the front while in the back it will be a bit sunken in. This is why many go staggered. Since you did not, it will look strange IMO with the front really flushed while the back is not. I personally would not fell "comfortable" with this set and I would return them.

People are talking about "fender modifications." How do you do that, how much does it cost app., and does it solve the problem?
People are talking about rolling fenders. In mild cases, this means that a tool is used to bend the fender lip back to create more clearance. In more extreme cases, this also involves flaring the lip a bit outwards to create even more space. This has to be done right or else you can damage/crack the paint.

I am not sure what your ultimate goal is in terms of "solve the problem". What tires (specs) are you planning to use? Are you planning to lower/change suspension? Are you hoping for no rubbing at all? Are you hoping to keep the OEM ride quality or are you OK with it degrading? With 20s, you will not be able to have it all. You will need to figure out what you are willing to compromise.
Old 01-17-07, 08:07 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

It's not a matter of discomfort, it's a matter of lack of knowledge on the subject matter. In sixteen years of driving all types of cars, it's my first time ever modifying one. Quite honestly, it's also the first time I'm learning about "offsets" and whatnot. Didn't know getting some wheels and proper tires for my GS was so complicated, thus my asking a 3rd, 4th, and 5th opinion if needed, as long as that's okay with the members here I would think.

I don't need to tell anyone 20s aren't cheap, after the money I spent on them I don't want to be facing unneccessary problems, I just wanna install them and run.

So once again, I don't know whether I should feel comfortable or uncomfortable. Members here seem to be okay with my wheel specs, but tire shops where I live seem to have a different opinion. My other car has 20s too, but that's the way it was sold to me by the dealer. The GS is another story.

Thank you.
I'll tell you what, I know exactly what you are going through and I was trying to say in a nice way that the seller just sold you "1 size fits all" wheels and is tweaking tire sizes (in the wrong direction) to make it work!

If you want man, give me a call tomorrow I can get you a SWEET deal on a set of 20" wheels whether you want staggered or not and you will not have to ask ANYONE if they may or may not fit, just bolt them on and drive. When you spend your hard earned money, its the retailers job to handle fitment for you!

Give me a call in the office tomorrow.

Derrick

877-361-0296 Ext 5
Old 01-19-07, 08:57 AM
7asteroid7
Driver School Candidate

Thank you everyone for taking the time to reply.

I'll take the advice of the more experienced members here and return the wheels and get a wheel/tire package from D-2, if he's willing to give me a good deal.
Old 01-19-07, 09:34 AM
noop
Instructor

I was ripped off before, I bought some 20" Lowenhart LD-5 that were 9"f - 10.5 rear, the offsets on the front were +25 and the rear was the same I think, they didn't work at all. Buyer told me they came off of a gs430, but I later came to find out that they were made for g35c/350z.

It was terrible when I had them mounted, I hope it works out for you though, here is a pic of what they looked like on the car, if you look closely you can see how the wheels are sticking far out from the fenders, but then again they were 9" in the front.

Quick Reply: Dilemma With 20' Wheels For My GS. HELP!