Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

wheel security

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-01, 10:51 AM
lex430
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wheel security

Hi,

As I am about to get some new wheels, I am wondering if someone can recommend a good wheel lock? I have seen some posts around here, but it was said most locks can be easily bypassed by common wheel shop tools.

What are my alternatives?

thanks
Old 10-25-01, 12:03 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lex430,

i use McGuard, for $20 from summit racing. but if a guy truly wants your car/wheels, there is no device for deterrance. many simply flat-bed your GS away, and ship them overseas. that is why i have good coverage+low deductible on my insurance.

william
Old 10-25-01, 03:53 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

If you are paronoid like I am, just put five wheel locks on each wheel . It might not stop the theives but hey, it will **** them off on how much time it will take to steal your rims
Old 10-25-01, 07:16 PM
lex430
Lead Lap

Originally posted by DIESELMAN63
If you are paronoid like I am, just put five wheel locks on each wheel . It might not stop the theives but hey, it will **** them off on how much time it will take to steal your rims
never thought of that! That's a good one, any downside to having all five lugs as locks?? any safety concern?
Old 10-25-01, 08:46 PM
Intellexual
Lead Lap

Does the Lexus dealership get pissed that it takes them an hour just to remove your wheels Diesel?
Old 10-25-01, 10:58 PM
lex430
Lead Lap

Originally posted by Intellexual
Does the Lexus dealership get pissed that it takes them an hour just to remove your wheels Diesel?
with 5 different keys too!!!
Old 10-26-01, 04:54 AM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

hehhee, I rather let the dealers get pissed off than to find my car on a milk crate and my wheels gone !:eek:

As for safety concerns, there shouldn't be any. Putting wheel locks on is just the same as putting a bolt on.

Its better to put as much security on your wheels because your forking over alot of $$$.
Old 10-27-01, 11:42 PM
Captain Ratman
Pole Position

Amen to that Diesel!!!!!

Scott
Old 10-28-01, 12:13 AM
black sc
Pole Position

Weber of Japan use to have magnetic wheel locks in which there were 2 locks in one. One was a cover which used a magnetic key. The second was lug underneath which also used socket key. It was quite inventive but, I have not seen those anymore.

The only problem having so many wheel locks is that. Won't it throw the tire off balance since, the wheel lock lug is heavier than the other lugs? It may or may not be true. I know that petty theft is common. My wheel was almost taken a long time before.

I have encountered people resolving the problem with 4-5 wheel locks. I think just finding one good one is sufficient. The McGards are good also. I have used those also but, those Weber wheel locks were truly unique. The only problem was the black color vs. my chrome lugs.
Old 10-28-01, 05:00 AM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

black sc, in terms of weight, its really not that much of a difference. Your only talking about .000 ounces of difference in weight. That wheel lock your talking about from Japan sounds very interesting ! I have never heard of that kind of design ! I wish they were around here ! I don't think any amount of wheel locks will be sufficient. Putting 4-5 wheel locks are only there for making the thieves take longer to get your wheels.
Old 11-01-01, 02:00 PM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I hate to do this, but...

Wheel locks (I have them too) are pretty much useless. All you need is an oversize socket and a hammer. I had the unfortunate experience of being in a loaner that had no key in it, and roadside assist didn't even want to make an attempt to show up if they were going to stare at a flat tire with me. So I did what any other pissed off person would've done and drove that SOB home on the flat tire - luckily it was only about 6 miles. When I got home I took one of my big craftsmen sockets and banged it over the lock, a few cranks and its loose. It is a ***** to get the lock out of the socket after though.
Old 11-02-01, 05:24 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a "wheel lock" removal kit that will remove ANY wheel lock...

Sorry guys, wheels locks will stop the average punk, but it won't stop the professionals...

5 Wheel locks? Hehehe...doesn't take much longer...

Just get them insured...my wheels have a custom engraved serial number (by HRE) and if I ever saw the wheels I have, I would KNOW they're mine (not a common wheel like the LD1's)...plus I have a few special "marks" on my wheels that would give me POSITIVE identification...Plus the offset will only fit a GS or a LS...and a redrill will look obvious.

Seriously, if someone jacked my wheels and found the car with my wheels, I would have the car removed (easily) and then I would wait there for the owner to show up...then the REAL fun would begin...