Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

ditch bridgestone re050 ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-06, 01:34 PM
silversx
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ditch bridgestone re050 ?

i recently scraped a parking island with my right front rim..

got a small nick on the rim and a deep 1 inch long gash on the sidewall of the tire.. i went to shop and they told me 1 re050 is 260 dollars..

rather than replacing 1 tire .. i think i would be better off just replacing both front tires.. with 2 kumho spt.. i can get the 225/40/18 spt for 96 each on discounttire..

the re050 are only 140 treadwear .. and kumho spt are z rated ultra high performance.. 320 treadwear..
Old 11-10-06, 01:50 PM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

How many miles on your current tires ?
IMHO, I wouldn't run different brand/model tires in the front and the rear - but that's just me. If you have less than 5k miles, just replace the tire w/the same brand/model . . .
Old 11-10-06, 03:11 PM
07Txlex
Pole Position

I agree with him about running two different types of tire.. However my experience with bridgestones has been horrible as far as life and handling.
Old 11-10-06, 03:46 PM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 07Txlex
I agree with him about running two different types of tire.. However my experience with bridgestones has been horrible as far as life and handling.
Don't blame the tires. Blame the suspension. The RE-050's are a very good street performance tire.

Like socalJD recommended, I wouldn't run different tires on the front. I would go with RE-050's again. Check Tirerack to see if you can get that tire a little cheaper. $260 seems like it's a bit much.
Old 11-10-06, 05:11 PM
TLe2006
Lexus Champion

socalJD, can you elaborate on your suggestion? i'm thinking of running 2 different brands.
Old 11-10-06, 07:37 PM
cocopops
Pole Position

actually i run two diff brands on my camry. I ran Kumho on the rears and Bridgestones on the fronts. Dont really notice anything (well, i drive like an old man ).
Old 11-10-06, 09:02 PM
SilverLexo
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 07Txlex
Really? The bridgestones have a pretty high rating for performance and I personally think they handle pretty damn good.

Kumhos on the other hand I have felt to be a subpar quality of tire in my previous rides. If you drive hard you will notice that those kumho's have a much harder compound that skip across heavy turns. If you are not a performance driver or have an IS250 go with the cheapos, you'll be fine.
Old 11-10-06, 09:41 PM
Dj_AmtraX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bridgestones are excellent. However, Perrelli P Zero are better in all test by Road & Track's Nov. issue. tested on a Miata. See it for yourself.
Old 11-11-06, 02:16 AM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ThoLe
socalJD, can you elaborate on your suggestion? i'm thinking of running 2 different brands.
IMHO, it looks cheesy to have front tires with a different sidewall look and tread design than the rears. It's far more noticeable on the IS with the staggered setup and such wide tires. But again, that's just me. When it comes to tires, I don't like to skimp or cut corners - tires are the only true contact your car has with the road, so I tend to get the best tires available for my rides . . .
Old 11-11-06, 06:31 AM
jasonviper
Pole Position

The Bridgestones really do suck.In hot dry weather they do ok but for anything else they just suck.
Old 11-11-06, 06:55 AM
l1tech
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SilverLexo
Really? or have an IS250 go with the cheapos, you'll be fine.

What does this really have to do with it
Old 11-11-06, 08:44 AM
07Txlex
Pole Position

Should have been more specific when I said I had bad experiences with bridgestone. When I bought my '03 IS300 new it came with bridgestones, they were horrible in wet weather and wore out at 11,000 miles. The latter was my fault but that was my experience with those tires. Maybe the new ones are better. And your right about the Kuhmos. Those tires were horrble in any weather, I had a set for 3 weeks and made Discount tire buy them back. But on my 350 I have those Dunlops and so far they have been good, but i only have 1900 miles on the car so who knows how they'll be in the future.
Old 11-11-06, 10:30 AM
Gtidan
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonviper
The Bridgestones really do suck.In hot dry weather they do ok but for anything else they just suck.
Sure. That's why Ferrari, Porsche, BMW and Infiniti and many more put them on their cars.............cause they 'suck'. Sure can't be cause there cheap....cause there not....

Perhaps all these manufacturers should have consulted with you before they went ahead and put those horrible tyres on their cars
Old 11-11-06, 02:54 PM
tcho82
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the RE050 on my S2000, and they are an awesome tire. Excellent dry grip and pretty good grip when its wet out. Tread wear does suck, but all in all its a great summer performance tire. Kumho's are great for the price, but they do suffer in some performance aspects. I guess it depends on how aggressive of a driver you are.
Old 11-11-06, 06:15 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

At the price of the Kumhos, I'd put them on all four corners. Sometimes you may feel the different characteristics of the tires. That depends how sensitive you and your car are. My personal choice would be to have the matching brand and model.

Quick Reply: ditch bridgestone re050 ?