Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Goodyear Fortera Triple Tred for your SUV

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-06, 08:24 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Goodyear Fortera Triple Tred for your SUV

Just got a set for my '03 4Runner. Anyone that has a GX, LX, or other SUV should consider these. Very amazing tire. Long treadlife rating. Agressive tread is good on dry, in rain, or snow. Handles well. Extremely comfortable ride, my 4Runner rides like a Caddy, with little compromise in handling. GREAT job by GoodYear!
Old 11-02-06, 08:28 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Goodyear Fortera Tripletred on my RX300

With the winter coming, I decided to get new tires for my RX300 - Goodyear Fortera Tripletred. I needed something really good in snow and ice. It's the only all-season tire with the "mountain snow flake" certification for severe snow use. Just what I needed. At close to $150 each, this tire isn't cheap. I'll try not to let the "light-wallet-effect" cloud my evaluation and judgment.

My first impression is that the tread looks too rugged for the RX300, like a lady wearing summer dress and workman boots.

Ride quality isn't as well compared to my old Bridgestone Dueler D687. I can feel the road texture and perhaps the tire tread. The D687 was magic-carpet smooth.

Noise level is fairly low, about the same as the D687, which is a pleasant surprise for such rugged tread. Dry braking and handling are about the same, though I don't want to push it during break-in period.

Rolling resistance isn't as good. My gas mileage dropped from 24-25 mpg to 23. Could be the cold weather and ethanol, so I'll have to keep monitoring this.

Winter and wet traction remain to be seen. I'll keep y'all posted.
Old 11-06-06, 02:14 PM
93illini
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm interested in a longer term review of the Fortera TT - keep us posted.

I was struggling btw the Tripple Treads and Nokian WR for a full year tire on my wife's Honda Pilot. Just pulled the trigger for the Nokians on Sat.

Initial impression is positive, but anything is better than the OEM Goodyear Integrity's.
Old 11-07-06, 10:05 AM
Plum
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put the Nokian's on my ES last year and they have been great.
Getting ready to put a set on the wife's Highlander in a few weeks.
Looked at the Goodyear but didn't like the price and the drop in
milage.
HarrierAWD...Nokian WR has the "mountain snowflake" so Goodyear
doesn't have the only all season with it. Although, Nokian calls it an
all weather tire.
Just to clarify.
Old 11-09-06, 08:30 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Thanks. The Nokian WR SUV appears to be new to the market.

I made adjustment to the tire pressure from 33/30 to 31/29. The ride became smooth, though not glide-in-the-air smooth as the old Bridgestone. The gas mileage improved to 24.3 mpg.

I will try out a different pressure setting each week to find the optimal setting.

Last edited by HarrierAWD; 11-09-06 at 08:33 PM.
Old 11-23-06, 10:50 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Updating after driving 1800 miles on the TripleTred...

Had to make a panic stop on the highway the other day. The tires stopped on a dime without making any sound nor making the ABS kick in. Very good.

Found the occasional balancing issue (wheel shimmy) at about 75 mph. It came and went twice. Then disappeared. Maybe the tread ate a big rock then spitted it out.

Wet, snow, and ice performance still remain to be seen. (The weather has been great in Colorado.) Gas mileage is down again to about 22 mpg.

Changed the pressure to 34/32. Ride comfort has improved, though still not as good as the OEM Dueler tire. Handling is good, but not remarkable.

I do have a strange feeling that the rear tires seem to "drift" or "slide" in fast turns. There's no screeching sound, nor the feeling of losing control. But I tried this several times and I could definitely notice this. Never had this with Integrity nor Dueler. The VSC didn't kick in. Perhaps other RX300/TripleTred owners can test this.

Last edited by HarrierAWD; 11-23-06 at 10:57 PM.
Old 11-30-06, 09:31 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Finally, big snow storm in Colorado Front Range.

The TripleTred has superb snow traction. It runs over snow almost as if it's just dry sand. It skidded an inch or two in fast 90-degree turns, but that was just me stumpping on the gas.

Ice braking is also very good, though it still skid on black ice. It's the best tire that I ever had on ice.

Even the best snow tire cannot brake or handle as well on snow or ice, so no matter what tire you choose, please slow down and drive carefully. Have a safe and merry winter season.

Oh, and I changed the tire pressure to 35/31. Made the ride smoother, though still not as smooth as OEM tires (Integrity or Dueler.)

Last edited by HarrierAWD; 11-30-06 at 09:38 PM.