Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Blizzaks And Other Snow Tires

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-06, 08:56 AM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Blizzaks And Other Snow Tires

I was a reading an article in the latest Consumer Reports on tires. They rate the Good Year Eagle Ultra Grip GW3's as tops with the Blizzaks coming in 4th. I've searched CL and seen a lot good reviews of the Blizzaks; probably the GY's are new??.I've had GY Eagle One's on my previous car any they were good but were not winter tires.
This will be my first winter in my GS and have decided to tread the water, or in this case the snow for awhile and see the results. I'll most likely go ahead and buy snow tires but I intended to buy only TWO tires for the rear. But in the article, it said to "winterize wisely" and mounting only two tires instead of four is "asking for trouble". They say to mount four to maintain balanced handling and secure grip for starting and stopping. Would that have been stupid of me to mount only two tires? I figured to mount only the two for the rear because of RWD.
Old 10-24-06, 09:38 AM
GUNRU-GS4
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have a lot of experience with snow tires living in Michigan. It is like night and day compared to an all season tire in the snow/ice. Only put them on in sets of four. I had two LS400s and with the 16" stock rims I ran the Michelin X-Ice and the Michelin Artic Alpins. Both were good in the snow/ice and running smooth and quiet. A lot of snow tires are somewhat loud and pretty smushy feeling.

When I got the GS400 it came with the OEM 17"s so I went with the Michelin Pilot Alpins. The other Michelin snow tires aren't offered in 17"s. They are awesome! They don't even feel like you have snow tires on. They are good in ice/snow and when it's dry out you can drive 90 mph and they feel solid. The Michelins are pricey but it's worth the money.
Old 10-24-06, 11:08 AM
Lubs
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have Pirelli SnowSport 240s on stock 16s for the winter. I had my first winter with the GS last year, and recently put them back on. For comparison's sake, I had Michelin Arctic Alpins on my Accord, but that car didn't really need winter tires. I prefer the Pirellis. They seem more performance oriented, they're quiet and performed very well in winter conditions. And I'm from Canada and live in an igloo!
Old 10-27-06, 07:07 PM
IAGS400
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So you want to be able to accelerate but not stop or turn. 4 tires is the only way to go.

Also, I tried the Firestone Winterforce tires. They are awesome tires when there is actually snow or ice on the road. But if the road is dry they are terrible, their sidewalls are soft and have no traction at all when pushed. I wish I would have never purchased them.