Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Tire width Tech. Question???

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-06, 08:30 PM
ALWAZEER
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire width Tech. Question???

Can any one please tell me, is it important to choose a wider tire in the back than the front when, upgrading my wheels to 20's.???????
Or can I just select the same size width for all four tires???

Thanks....
Old 09-30-06, 11:22 PM
mekrew
Rookie

+1

also why are people running 35s in front and 30s in rear

to me the 30s are just too thin .. im thinking 35s all around. I want SOME tire life and a decent ride
Old 10-02-06, 09:25 AM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by ALWAZEER
Can any one please tell me, is it important to choose a wider tire in the back than the front when, upgrading my wheels to 20's.???????
Or can I just select the same size width for all four tires???

Thanks....
Usually the goal when upgrading to larger wheels is for performance, handling and looks. When you go with the wider wheel in the rear, you're most likely going to go with a wider tire as well. A wider tire means more surface contact with the ground where as a narrower tire has less. The more surface contact you have with the ground, the better your traction and handling capabilities become. Since the the GS is a rear wheel drive car, it only makes sense you go with a staggered wheel set-up that has wider wheel set-up in the rear.
Old 10-02-06, 03:09 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by mekrew
+1

also why are people running 35s in front and 30s in rear

to me the 30s are just too thin .. im thinking 35s all around. I want SOME tire life and a decent ride
because to keep the tires in spec you need to trade off with sidewall and tread width.

ie-a 225/35 is about equal to a 245/30

thats why guys who run a staggered setup have slightly less sidewall on the rears, because they'r running wider tires.
Old 10-02-06, 07:32 PM
ALWAZEER
Driver School Candidate

so in your own opinion "Seize", what would be the right size tires for a 20" upgrade????
Old 10-02-06, 07:47 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
because to keep the tires in spec you need to trade off with sidewall and tread width.

ie-a 225/35 is about equal to a 245/30

thats why guys who run a staggered setup have slightly less sidewall on the rears, because they'r running wider tires.
Its amazing that after all these years people still think the aspect ratio is a independent measurement! A wider tire with the same aspect ratio will be ALOT taller than the front!

I just try to constantly remind people that its a aspect RATIO, the operative word being RATIO or proportional relation.

To the original poster, there is no one set right tire setup, it all depends on the wheels, the specs of the wheels, the lowering, etc etc etc.
Old 10-02-06, 09:00 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by D2-AUTOSPORT
Its amazing that after all these years people still think the aspect ratio is a independent measurement! A wider tire with the same aspect ratio will be ALOT taller than the front!

I just try to constantly remind people that its a aspect RATIO, the operative word being RATIO or proportional relation.

To the original poster, there is no one set right tire setup, it all depends on the wheels, the specs of the wheels, the lowering, etc etc etc.
lol, i know that the aspect ratio is a % of the width of the tread but the way i put it was the best i could htink of to explain why peple run lower aspect ratios for wider tires. x.x
Old 10-02-06, 10:45 PM
V8_Aristo
Bippu

Now that everyone has pointed out what the performance benefit of running staggered, I'll tell you the asthetic perks

Usually on a rear wheel drive car (RWD) the rear wheel wells/opening are deeper than the front ones. With the same size wheel, the front wheel will fill up the front wheel well/opening while leaving the rear wheel unproportionate to it's well/opening. I for one don't like seeing this, specially on a modded Lexus.

Also, it looks more aggressive
Old 10-03-06, 05:43 AM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Let's throw AWD into the mix. Is it still recommended to go staggered if you have AWD?
Old 10-03-06, 06:53 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by SGT
Let's throw AWD into the mix. Is it still recommended to go staggered if you have AWD?
if i recall correctly, No, it isnt.
Old 10-03-06, 07:51 AM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any reason for that?
Old 10-03-06, 09:11 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

lol, i know that the aspect ratio is a % of the width of the tread but the way i put it was the best i could htink of to explain why peple run lower aspect ratios for wider tires. x.x
Exactly right, I was saying thats its so funny that you still have to explain this after like 3 years of FAQ posts and such! lol

You explanation was pretty much spot on
Old 10-03-06, 09:18 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

reason being? the audi s4 is awd and aftermarket staggered setup are seen everywhere

from talking to bob (socalsc4), it seems like putting staggered setup on awd isn't a problem, as long as the overall diameter is calculated carefully.
Old 10-03-06, 03:21 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by rominl
reason being? the audi s4 is awd and aftermarket staggered setup are seen everywhere

from talking to bob (socalsc4), it seems like putting staggered setup on awd isn't a problem, as long as the overall diameter is calculated carefully.
meh, i was just going by what i know from WRX's and EVO's since most guys who seriously drive those cars keep all 4 widths the same.