Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

fat set up?

Old 09-09-06, 11:50 PM
GS4
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fat set up?

I cant pull up Romini's sticky on tire size for the gs. The link seems to be invalid. Does anybody have the info on what a fat set up would be for 19x8.5" in the front and a 19x9.5" wheel in the rear.

-GS4
Old 09-10-06, 12:26 AM
Kharizma
Lexus Champion

it would be 245/40/19 for the front and 275/35/19 for the rear.. good luck!
Old 09-10-06, 01:14 AM
GS4
Driver

It looks as if my selection is limited. michelin pilot sport a/s great tire but costly
Old 09-10-06, 12:03 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by GS4
It looks as if my selection is limited. michelin pilot sport a/s great tire but costly
it's worth the money though, i have no regret, especially it wears very well
Old 09-10-06, 11:02 PM
V8_Aristo
Bippu

Falken Tires also has those sizes on their FK-452 model. Since the tire model is relatively new, they might now have it available as of yet.

Here's a link: http://www.falkentire.com/fk452_sizes.html
Old 09-11-06, 03:50 AM
GS4
Driver

Originally Posted by V8_Aristo
Falken Tires also has those sizes on their FK-452 model. Since the tire model is relatively new, they might now have it available as of yet.

Here's a link: http://www.falkentire.com/fk452_sizes.html
The FK452's seem like a great tire and they are very reasonably priced. It is probably going to be betweeb the Pilot's and FK-452's. Both get great reviews on the web
Old 09-11-06, 06:00 AM
Brandon@TR
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know many people on this forum have been very happy with the Michelin.
Old 09-11-06, 11:32 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

falkens are junk... people like them because they are cheap...

back to back, michelin is many times better... you might look into the BFG's... Michelin type quality and performance, but mid priced compared to the rest of the market...
Old 09-12-06, 03:43 AM
GS4
Driver

Pilots it is! Found them locally at a great price.
Old 09-12-06, 09:31 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
falkens are junk... people like them because they are cheap...

back to back, michelin is many times better... you might look into the BFG's... Michelin type quality and performance, but mid priced compared to the rest of the market...
indeed i haven't heard much good about falkens from people i know, they say they are lower grade tires. never owned those before, care to share more info why they are no good?
Old 09-12-06, 12:28 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
indeed i haven't heard much good about falkens from people i know, they say they are lower grade tires. never owned those before, care to share more info why they are no good?
many factors affect my opinion on tires like the Falkens (I have a good number of other tires, from almost every manufacturer, just depending on product line, that I have good / bad opinions about as well...)

Falken does make a good tire, the RT-615, just don't expect it to last very long, or handle well in the wet at all...

The other Falken stuff, IMO, is junk... it's cheap, and for the price does OK, but when compared to tires that are in the price range, or slightly above it, it doesn't fare well at all... Now, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I've been in the tire / wheel industry for over 5 years. I have driven just about every tire on the road on various vehicles, many back to back. I also managed adjustments (defective tires) from all manufacturers...

Falkens, as a percentage, had one of the higher rates of failure that I recorded... On top of that, their ride quality was definitely subpar, they tended to get hard quickly, which meant they would last forever, but they handled for **** in the rain and even in the dry as well... Not to mention the fact that even new, they didn't handle all that well to start...

There were many times that I suggest a quality tire, but the customer went with something cheap like the Falken, and ended up bringing them back complaining about the way they wore, the way they handled... Many times, I sold that same customer a better tire the next time around, and they were much happier...

One customer in particular had a Lexus LS400 (the main reason I recall this). His car had Michelin MXV4's on it. He brought in a Consumer Reports article showing the Falken ZE-512 as the best tire available for touring / performance. I attempted to talk him out of it, and even suggested a mid level tire instead of the Michelin or the entry level Falken. Well, he wouldn't budge, so I got him the Falkens and installed them (they were cheap). About a year later, he came in for his second rotation and balance. After recognizing him, I asked him how the tires were doing, to which he reluctantly smiled and said "I hate them" He brought up the fact they were loud, didn't handle well in the rain, and although they didn't shake, they rode rough. I gave him trade in on those tires for some mid level Yokohama Avid V4's (halfway priced between the Falkens and the Michelins), and he absolutely loved them. The next couple times of seeing him in for service, he always swore to me he would take my advice from then on...
Old 09-12-06, 10:14 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

good info you got there, thank you for your review, i really appreciate it. that's what i like to read, personal experience, different variations, and a lots of data.

i have own a few brands of tires, definitely not close to what you have tried, but i can already tell the difference between them. and adding your opinions, doesn't seem like falken is going well