Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Staggered Set Up Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-01, 03:28 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Staggered Set Up Question

What size spare do you have in the trunk? Kind of a catch 22 isn't it?

I was running some numbers on tirerack and picked 5 wheels, but not sure which size of the staggered tires I should get 3 of instead of 2? I've never done a staggered setup before...Am I missing something?

TIA
Old 10-14-01, 04:50 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have my stock spare...only good for my rear wheels though because of my AP Racing brakes up front...no worries, that's what Lexus RSA is for...

Staggered is when you get large wheels for the rear. So your front wheels are say 8.5" wide (245) and your rear are 9.5" wide (275). Since you're rear wheels are the wheels that get the power to the ground, having more "meat" on there helps launches and whatnot...plus it looks cool

Staggering is popular to do with RWD cars but some FWD people do it also for the look (fakers!)
Old 10-14-01, 04:57 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey manaray,

how are you? got a question. can the GS take 285/35/18 on 18x10 with 1.2" lowering, no fender mod, without any problems?

thanks a lot.

william
Old 10-14-01, 05:01 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Yep - that's exactly what I've got planned!

Here's the details of what I was talking about on the other thread - not a bad deal really, but still not sure if I'll do it.
Attached Thumbnails Staggered Set Up Question-order-summary-and-pic.jpg  
Old 10-15-01, 11:32 AM
gsnav
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Dexter,

Let me know how those look? I'm looking for a set of wheels 19 preferebly but 18" staggered wouldn't be bad either, only problem is i have a kit so i prolly will have to go for 19". Post pics when you put those wheels on. I wanna see how the staggered looks on a one piece. Thanks.

GsNav@clublexus.com
Old 10-15-01, 11:51 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

gsnav: sure thing if I pull the trigger - it won't be any time soon though; I've got visions of suspension mods dancing in my head; listed in my sig

Old 10-17-01, 09:18 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

GS4Will - That should be ok but if you hit some deep dips or you have a lot of people in back, (or other weight), it'll probably rub...but a 1.2" drop out back is nothing...I wouldn't worry too much about it...
Old 10-17-01, 09:28 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

manaray,

thanks for the info...sometimes i see 285s on sale, and was wondering abput the fittment.

dexter/gsnav,

the set up that dexter is looking at is fairly goo for the price. basically it is like the stock look with more aggressive size andstill retain the clean, classy sporty look.

william
Old 10-17-01, 10:00 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

william, time to sell your stock 17s with tires for 100 bucks
Old 10-17-01, 10:04 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

G,

funny...man wait till you see my gs next time...i got some lip going on...

william
Old 10-17-01, 10:14 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by gs4will
G,

funny...man wait till you see my gs next time...i got some lip going on...

william
heh heh heh can't wait.

I'm also going for the big lip look in the future...... that's the only way 18s will look good on the GS (although Kreuzer V with no lip looks good too.)

yah when I see those Japanese wheels in mags, I get the low/high disks confused. Which ones have the bigger lips?
Old 10-17-01, 10:21 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

G,

agree, some 5 spoke rime with no lips still look very good.

i think to get the biggest lip, you would need high disk(if high disk means the same as high pad), if memory serves me correctly that is waht i was told.
Old 10-18-01, 12:02 AM
tinygs
Lexus Test Driver

Hey William, the "high-disc" fitment eliminates some of your lip, causing it to look smaller.(i.e to accomodate big brake upgrade) I clarrified this with Dave(GTAutosports) when I ordered the Work.....The fitment that I got for the front wheels is the same as the SupraTT, which had about a 3/4 inch SMALLER lip than a low-disc. Keep in mind this will only effect the fronts, the rear will still have the colagen implants.
Work also offers a mid-disc I believe, but Im not sure how it varies from the high-disc.
Speaking of lips, its officially X-Mas in Austin.....Dave called me yesterday and said my wheels are FINALLY here. They should leave Arizona in 1-2 days and reach my door-step middle to late next week. After talking to some local guys who have alot more experience with Japanese special orders, they told me that even if I had waited 5-6 months that would have been normal.....

Globe, if you wanted a cheap,light, quality 17". I got a set of SupraTT wheels(17x8"F,17x9.5"R) from the classifieds section of www.supraforums.com Four wheels w/brand new tires for $525.
There were about 1/2 dozen sets for sale. Perfect wheels for taking road trips or for the track, etc., etc.
Tiny

Last edited by tinygs; 10-18-01 at 12:08 AM.
Old 10-18-01, 12:46 AM
Lexus_IS300
Lead Lap

hey congrats on the wheels chris. i just got mine yesterday (tues) too!! i guess we will both be going to the meet with new wheels? my turbo seems very unpromising, as jarrett have yet gotten back to me about it. i will keep on persuing this though!! see you at the next meet.
Old 10-18-01, 04:44 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

hey guys - can you descibe what the 'lip' is?

is it the recess fron the tire wall to the hub?

Quick Reply: Staggered Set Up Question