Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Volk Racing Wheel Damage -- Is this repairable???? *PICS*

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-06, 04:33 PM
NINEZeRO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Volk Racing Wheel Damage -- Is this repairable???? *PICS*

I have these wheels for around 5 months now and just a couple of months ago I hit a humongous pothole which bent my front rims. Is this repairable? The wheels have a special coating/paint which makes it a little more difficult to repair i think. I live in the NorthEast (Central Jersey). Does anybody know a reputable shop where I might be able to fix these wheels? How about the huge scuffs on the wheel?
Attached Thumbnails Volk Racing Wheel Damage -- Is this repairable???? *PICS*-img_0001-01.jpg  
Old 08-31-06, 04:33 PM
NINEZeRO
Lexus Test Driver

here's another
Attached Thumbnails Volk Racing Wheel Damage -- Is this repairable???? *PICS*-img_0002-01.jpg  
Old 08-31-06, 04:34 PM
NINEZeRO
Lexus Test Driver

and another one
Attached Thumbnails Volk Racing Wheel Damage -- Is this repairable???? *PICS*-img_0003-01.jpg  
Old 08-31-06, 04:35 PM
NINEZeRO
Lexus Test Driver

and last one
Attached Thumbnails Volk Racing Wheel Damage -- Is this repairable???? *PICS*-img_0006-01.jpg  
Old 08-31-06, 04:37 PM
MrJohnE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by NINEZeRO
I have these wheels for around 5 months now and just a couple of months ago I hit a humongous pothole which bent my front rims. Is this repairable? The wheels have a special coating/paint which makes it a little more difficult to repair i think. I live in the NorthEast (Central Jersey). Does anybody know a reputable shop where I might be able to fix these wheels? How about the huge scuffs on the wheel?
yeah its repairable. a reputable shop will be able to straighten it and refinish it for you. i bent some GT-C's about a year and a half ago now. they charged me 150 for 2 bent rims. looked brand new. i shouldve had him refinish all 4 for the new lip look. take a look in the phone book or try the regionals section for reccomendations.
Old 08-31-06, 05:46 PM
Wests
Lead Lap

Yeah, that should be pretty easy to repair. Just make sure once its fixed to have it reanodized or it will tarnish very easily.
Old 08-31-06, 05:47 PM
sincityIS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That sucks, once you repair them they are never as strong.
Old 08-31-06, 06:27 PM
Wests
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sincityIS
You make it sound like once he repairs his wheels they are gonna spilt in two over a speed bump. Ive had numerous sets of Volk wheels repaired and haven't had any issues afterward. Just make sure to get the lips re-anodized.
Old 09-03-06, 11:54 AM
arpa
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sincityIS
Not true at all unless you have a complete idiot or backyard redneck doing the repair. I use to do this for a living and can say that I never put out 1 wheel that I wouldn't feel 100% comfortable putting my family in the vehicle that wheel was for.

With minor curb damage like that most of the time all that would be done is to resand/refinish the lips. If the curbing is deep then you could tig weld new aluminum into the wheel and then refinish it.

My only $.02 is to take it to a shop that knows what they are doing. I had wheels come in all the time that some mom and pop shop tried to fix for somebody and messed them up worse than they originally were damaged. And as far as my recommendation goes, if you are in the US or anywhere for that matter would be www.sportscartire.com due to me being 110% positive that Joe can fix anything that is repairable.
Old 09-04-06, 10:07 AM
NINEZeRO
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by arpa
Not true at all unless you have a complete idiot or backyard redneck doing the repair. I use to do this for a living and can say that I never put out 1 wheel that I wouldn't feel 100% comfortable putting my family in the vehicle that wheel was for.

With minor curb damage like that most of the time all that would be done is to resand/refinish the lips. If the curbing is deep then you could tig weld new aluminum into the wheel and then refinish it.

My only $.02 is to take it to a shop that knows what they are doing. I had wheels come in all the time that some mom and pop shop tried to fix for somebody and messed them up worse than they originally were damaged. And as far as my recommendation goes, if you are in the US or anywhere for that matter would be www.sportscartire.com due to me being 110% positive that Joe can fix anything that is repairable.
Thanks for the info. Do you have an idea on what the cost would be for this kind of job -- per wheel? Also, these wheels have a special coat called Rays Blacking Coating on it, do you think they will be able to match this when they refinish? Lastly, a few people mentioned getting it readonized, can they do this also? Thanks everyone for the input.
Old 09-04-06, 08:56 PM
Wests
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by NINEZeRO
Thanks for the info. Do you have an idea on what the cost would be for this kind of job -- per wheel? Also, these wheels have a special coat called Rays Blacking Coating on it, do you think they will be able to match this when they refinish? Lastly, a few people mentioned getting it readonized, can they do this also? Thanks everyone for the input.
Probably about $60-100 (per wheel) to fix the actual damage and another $60-100 (per wheel) to have the lips reanodized. As far as the RMC coating, unless you have damage on the actual face of the wheel you dont need to worry about that since the coating is not on the lips. The GT-7s are 2 piece wheels, whoever fixes them will just take them appart and work only on the lips.