Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

19" rims on a silver GS

Old 10-12-01, 02:42 PM
his_eminence
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 19" rims on a silver GS

I've been reading a couple threads where some members expressed some distaste at seeing chrome on a silver GS. I'm not sure where this stems from as I think chrome looks rather nice (to wit, the L-Sportline Model I EVO). In any case, I'd like some input on rim choices. I've got my own choices narrowed down but I'm curious to see what others think. I like the double armed, 5-spoke configuration (a-la L-Sportline, HRE 547, etc) Does anyone know of any others out there that might fit the bill? Price isn't too much of a consideration (a wise man once said "if you can't afford to get what you want, save up longer...I have more respect for someone who stays with stock than someone who gets knock-offs." I think it was manaray) Anyway, I'd like 19 x 8, 8.5, or 9 in a standard setup (not staggered).

Also, if I went with the L-tuned suspension before getting bigger rims or a body kit, would it look that bad?
Old 10-12-01, 09:39 PM
tinygs
Lexus Test Driver

His eminence, check out the SSR GT3 at http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Displ...2FMachined+Lip for a picture.
It is a three piece forged wheel that is very high quality. Its available in 19x8, 19x9, or 19x10, so you can run staggered set-up.
IMO, looks better than the L-sportline or the HRE-547. Tiny
Old 10-13-01, 12:35 AM
his_eminence
Rookie

Wow...I hadn't seen those before. They are really nice...and considerably cheaper than the LSportline or HREs. How are they as far as durability goes? Are they forged, cast, one-piece...etc??? Thanks for the suggestion Tiny.
Old 10-13-01, 01:11 AM
Lexus_IS300
Lead Lap

Originally posted by his_eminence
Wow...I hadn't seen those before. They are really nice...and considerably cheaper than the LSportline or HREs. How are they as far as durability goes? Are they forged, cast, one-piece...etc??? Thanks for the suggestion Tiny.

they are 3piece forged. very good quality. that wheel is one of my top choices. but my next set are the HRE 545!!
Old 10-13-01, 02:10 AM
tinygs
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Lexus_IS300

they are 3piece forged. very good quality. that wheel is one of my top choices. but my next set are the HRE 545!!
Heehee...your crazy John...His_Eminence, (I cant believe Im addressing another man as His Eminence?) SSR's are a VERY high quality wheel. (confirmed by our fellow CL wheel gurus..)
The SSR GT3 is a forged three piece..They are extremely strong wheels. Dig deeper on Tirerack for details on SSR. They use a process called semi-forging....Dont know exactly how they do it, but it is supposed to result in an really LIGHT and strong wheel.
Oh yeah, your right about the price being awesome compared to ALOT of other 3-piece forged 19's. I would have purchased that wheel had I not been jonesin' so hard for 20's...heehee...Tiny
Old 10-13-01, 02:14 AM
tinygs
Lexus Test Driver

IMO.....NO CHROME on Silver... Silver, Polished, even high-polished..But no Chrome..just MO, Tiny
Old 10-13-01, 02:27 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The SSR's are very excellent quality wheels. They use a technique called Semi-Solid Forging. From what I understand, it's a "warm" forging that is lighter but not quite as strong as cold forging (like HRE's)...however, if you hit something hard enough to break a Semi-Solid Forged wheel, you probably will break your suspension...

I too think the SSR GT3 looks better than the HRE 547....however, I like the HRE 545 more than the GT3...the 546 is also nice...but you won't go wrong with the SSR's...I almost bought a set of SSR's (Agle Minervas) but they only made it up to 19"...had to have 20's on my GS...
Old 10-13-01, 01:27 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by tinygs
IMO.....NO CHROME on Silver... Silver, Polished, even high-polished..But no Chrome..just MO, Tiny
I agree.

Somehow Chrome doesn't look right on silver GS. I like silver or polished. Even DIAMOND CUT!
Old 10-13-01, 03:23 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Not only do I agree about no chrome on Silver cars, I think chrome in general is not a good choice...for not only aesthetic reasons but for techincal. If you want the "bling-bling" shine, go with POLISHED wheels instead...

Chrome has SO much shine that it hides the design of the wheel...what's the point? If you want it for "attention" (did mommy and daddy not give you enough as kid?), I think it's better to draw attention for the OVERALL look of your car...not JUST your wheels...otherwise, you might as well buy a '79 Buick Regal and slap on some 20" Chrome Daytons...you'll get PLENTY of attention...I mean if the wheel is the only focal point of your car, then you might as well buy a generic SUV and slap 22" chromies on there...
Old 10-13-01, 04:16 PM
his_eminence
Rookie

Thanks for all the input gentlemen...I've decided not to go chrome. Still thinking about the wheels, but the SSRs are pretty much leading the way right now. Thanks again.
Old 10-15-01, 07:52 PM
tmasta
Intermediate

Hey eminence,

if they have a lip DEFINTELY go staggered!! it makes SOOOO much difference!! im sure many ppl on this board would agree. i wasnt sure i wanted to go staggered because it was an extra hassle. but i figured if i was goin to spend so much screw the inconvienence go for what makes u happy!!!

-T
Old 10-17-01, 06:35 AM
Rico's Revenge
Lead Lap

I agree with tmasta.

Go with staggered...period. You will love the look! I would suggest 19x8.5 in the front with a 245/35 tire and 19X9.5 or even 19x10 in the rear with a 275/30 tire.

Check out www.veilside.com and enter the USA site. Check out the wheels they offer...not the cheapest, probably just the opposite, but you said price didn't matter...the Pasha Ds are insane!!

Also check out www.enkei.com They have some cool ideas also in their EX line.